how many calories a day do you have on a vlcd?

assj

Silver Member
as the title says? i am thinking of doing a vlcd but wanted to know how many calories are consumed each day please?

Sarah
xxx:D

Hi

A vlcd is below 800 cals a day depends what plan you are following as some go as low as 500.

Vanda

BUT- Proper VLCD's are developed to contain the nutrients that the body needs each day- so don't go thinking you can eat 500-800cals of anything- you'll just make yourself sick.

thanks for your reply, i am not going to do that, as i certainly cant afford ll or cd etc, i thought it would be ok to do it a bit differently with meal replacement shakes which if i have 3 a day i will get my complete gda of vitamins and minerals, the only prob is i would be going over my sugar gda buy 20% will this make a difference?
ifr i have three a day it will be around 655 cals a day?
does it sound ok?

Hiya, i'm in no way an expert but i would think that consuming that much sugar would knock you straight out of ketosis anyway so you would not get the same weight loss results as a proper VLCD and i guess having that much more sugar thean your GDA wouldn't be too good for your teeth/health etc anyway.
Another thing to thing about is very sugary products give you a massive boost of energy then it will drop rapidly and make you crave sugary foods even more.
Hope this helps :)

What kind of meal replacement shakes were you going to use? They don't sound that great tbh?

I'm on Lipotrim which works out around £35 a week? I'm actually saving money because I'd spend more than that on everyday food!

CD is also around £35 a week, is this still too expensive?

Maybe you could look around for a better Meal replacement available on the high street however they weren't really designed for total meal replacement so i'm not sure how this would affect your health :confused:

Could you talk to your doctor about this and see what he suggests?

Tesco do ready made low carb shakes (99p per serving) and if you have three of those a day and a small lean & green meal a day you will get all your RDA and still loose weight.
The shakes are 170 kcals each and are very similar to the Exante shakes on here RDA wise and ingredients wise.

And whatever you do make sure you drink plenty of water (at least 2.5 litres) a day.

Good luck x

Hi, I'm doing my own VLCD using a software program called nutribase. You might want to invest in it I have found it extremely helpful in organising meals for myself which are nutritionally sound, enjoyable and the right amount of calories (for a VLCD). Plus I don't have to pay money regularly. The only downside is that you don't receive any sort of counselling.

Edit: I must apologise, I suddenly thought after posting that this looks like an advert for a product. So I thought I would add that any calorie counting software would do (one that you could track your nutritional requirements) but nutribase is the only one I use or have even heard of!

Last edited:
i would def reccommend avidlite shakes....the ladies on the CS forums ahve switched to them to. they really are yum :D

if you do a tfr like lipotrim it works out about 19lb a week for 21 shakes :)

On the point about sugar. The guidelines re carbs, sugar and ketosis are just that - guidelines. Different people have very different sensitivities to carbs and sugar and you may find that you can consume more than is recommended in the various plans. Some people fall into ketosis at the drop of a hat whereas others have real difficulties maintaining it.

thanks for your reply, i am not going to do that, as i certainly cant afford ll or cd etc, i thought it would be ok to do it a bit differently with meal replacement shakes which if i have 3 a day i will get my complete gda of vitamins and minerals, the only prob is i would be going over my sugar gda buy 20% will this make a difference?
ifr i have three a day it will be around 655 cals a day?
does it sound ok?

Its not just about the vitamins and minerals though, one of the biggest requirements is protein. Without enough protein you WILL start to eat into your lean muscle mass, this is why commercial VLCD's have to be evaluated and run within NICE guidelines.

There has been studies that suggest that having MCT ([FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Medium Chain Triglycerides) protects muscle mass while on a VLCD. The studies also suggests that MCT actually increases fat loss (while VLCDing) to start with and then the losses iron out to the same as non MCT losers. However, MCT losers had more muscle and had lost more fat at the end of the study.

MCT is a type of fat - we usually eat long chain triglycerides. Coconut oil and palm oils are MCT.

[/FONT]

if you do a tfr like lipotrim it works out about 19lb a week for 21 shakes :)

Haha, you're too obsessed with weight Kels. WIsh I could do 19lb a week! Good to see you are still around, the CS forum is a bit like the Marie Celeste at the moment. Perhaps we should rename it the Avidlite forum?

Honestly VLCD's are dangerous and aren't for anyone who's new to dieting and nutrition etc. Not only that, they will give you mood swings and make you (99% of the time) really grumpy, moany and snappy.

You can get just as much progress on lowering carb intake and eating more protein and drinking more water.

hi i do 600 calories a day but on my 8th day my weights stalled so dont know what the hells going on. im hoping its just a hiccup. if my weight continues to drop soon i would recommend this amount to anyone that's very overweight as its just enough calories to keep me going for the day. dont feel dizzy or light headed. have the energy to go on the treadmill for an hour and dont feel starving at all. hope this helps someone x

Back