How many syns do you use a day / week

I try and have 10 syns but this week not really had any apart from on Saturday when I had some crisps and chocolate so I reckon I had my quota of my syns then :) xx

I don’t want this to come over as all holier than though, so I’m saying outright – this is just something to think about, not me trying to lay down the SW law with you all .

Why do you think you need to loose some weight? What are the reasons why you are here , on this site, looking for support in that endeavour.

Is it because you ate too much takeaway? Did you not exercise enough, Do you have a pathological hatred of fruit & vegetables. Did you drink a bit too much wine, or eat a bit too much chocolate?

So, for me, the reasons were. I ate too much takeaway, I drank too much wine, and I ate too much chocolate. I have made a conscious decision to not do these 3 things as otherwise, when I do get to my goal weight I will struggle to stay there. Put simply, I have finally got my head round the fact I cannot abuse my body and look & feel well .

So bearing the above in mind, is it really the most wise thing to justify saving your syns for 2 bottles or wine, or a massive Chinese take away EVERY WEEK? I am not saying never do it. I’m saying building it into your plan does not seem like the most sensible thing in the world if you intend to get to target and stay there.

If you see anyone who has been successful on here, (Madamelaminx, Ermintrude are 2 great examples) they have generally revolutionised their approach to food. They cook things they didn’t cook before. They cook full stop. They don’t think it’s okay to eat their own body weight in over processed fat laden rubbish every weekend because ‘they enjoy a treat’. They still enjoy a treat, they have just revaluated what they consider a treat to be.

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a sermon which was not my intention at all, but it is something to think about.

It’s your journey, get there how you choose- just be prepared to repeat it endlessly unless you change SOMETHING

While I agree with you in principle, I think it's important to remember that a lot of people who turn to SW will have tried and failed with other diets in the past. Many are also very obese. Therefore, although takeaways and binge drinking are not ideal, I kind of feel that anything someone can cling to and still manage to find a sustainable way of being able to lose lots of weight is still a positive thing.

When losing a lot of weight with SW in the past I have found that attitude adjustments, re-reviewing habits, and just generally taking better care of myself has happened once that first couple of stone comes off. Sometimes it just takes time, and as they say: "whatever works..."

:)

katieanna said:
While I agree with you in principle, I think it's important to remember that a lot of people who turn to SW will have tried and failed with other diets in the past. Many are also very obese. Therefore, although takeaways and binge drinking are not ideal, I kind of feel that anything someone can cling to and still manage to find a sustainable way of being able to lose lots of weight is still a positive thing.

When losing a lot of weight with SW in the past I have found that attitude adjustments, re-reviewing habits, and just generally taking better care of myself has happened once that first couple of stone comes off. Sometimes it just takes time, and as they say: "whatever works..."

:)

Really good point about when that realisation happens, I had it fairly early on, and maybe it depends on why you start SW. I actively chose to loose weight. I hadn't been told to for my health, I had no weight related issues (more through luck than judgement), so no one was suggesting or forcing me to do it. I imagine if I was doing it under duress it would be a different story.

& btw, the examples in my original post were directly related to the things I would eat or drink pre SW, not to anything anyone said on here.

I keep my syns low and go by 15 day rule....lost each week for 5 weeks.....I was worried that not having syns would hinder my weight loss as others seemed to have the max ammount so I started upping my syns.....saved my syns last week and had a Chinese, although total amount 13syns for the whole day, and i put 2lb on. I agree its good to save up and use for special occassions....bdays ect as you have to live .... but I don't agree on blowing it on one nite a week as a treat....think I've had enough treat nites.....that's why I'm over weight lol I always try to focus on end goal. People shouldn't take offence to opinions on forums...can't expect every1 to think alike it would be a boring world if they did! Do wat works for you...if its not working then change it.

My way is working for me. Another 7lb off tonight. And after weigh in I had half a chinese with hubby, and half a bottle of wine. 30 syns. I'll do the same thing at the weekend too.

I find it hard to actually use all my syns during the week so i end up using most on a weekend, keep good track of them though and it doesn't affect my losses

kingleds said:
I don’t want this to come over as all holier than though, so I’m saying outright – this is just something to think about, not me trying to lay down the SW law with you all .

Why do you think you need to loose some weight? What are the reasons why you are here , on this site, looking for support in that endeavour.

Is it because you ate too much takeaway? Did you not exercise enough, Do you have a pathological hatred of fruit & vegetables. Did you drink a bit too much wine, or eat a bit too much chocolate?

So, for me, the reasons were. I ate too much takeaway, I drank too much wine, and I ate too much chocolate. I have made a conscious decision to not do these 3 things as otherwise, when I do get to my goal weight I will struggle to stay there. Put simply, I have finally got my head round the fact I cannot abuse my body and look & feel well .

So bearing the above in mind, is it really the most wise thing to justify saving your syns for 2 bottles or wine, or a massive Chinese take away EVERY WEEK? I am not saying never do it. I’m saying building it into your plan does not seem like the most sensible thing in the world if you intend to get to target and stay there.

If you see anyone who has been successful on here, (Madamelaminx, Ermintrude are 2 great examples) they have generally revolutionised their approach to food. They cook things they didn’t cook before. They cook full stop. They don’t think it’s okay to eat their own body weight in over processed fat laden rubbish every weekend because ‘they enjoy a treat’. They still enjoy a treat, they have just revaluated what they consider a treat to be.

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a sermon which was not my intention at all, but it is something to think about.

It’s your journey, get there how you choose- just be prepared to repeat it endlessly unless you change SOMETHING

Well put. I was trying to say this to someone last week but she just wasn't getting it at all. I too want to get to target and stop paying the £4.95 every week. It's too expensive to play at.

All_about_the_climb said:
I try to hit 10 as a max.

That's usually round what I have. Had 9 today so far and no plans for any more.

I always use ALL my syns, but I have made and printed a syns chart out which goes from 1-105, and mark off every time I have had one! It means I don't 'forget' syns I've had. Sometimes I have 15 per day, sometimes I carry them over from the day before. I might have 5-10 syns per day then use the leftovers for a weekend :) But if you have a very physical job I know it's recommended you have over the 15 syns x

That is a brilliant idea, making a chart - I think I might do myself one at work tomorrow!

It's so helpful! I always keep it in my diary which is always in my bag which is always with me lol! Nifty little idea i got from one of the girls in my group :) xx

15 usually but yesterday only had 4 god knows why as i always usually have a min of 10 my syns today are going on pancakes and nutella as im having them with sliced banana for pud tonight

Back