How much artificial sweetener do you consume?

I'm not a great fan of processed foods full stop and had to seriously consider the use of artificial sweetener when I started Slimming World as I've read all the horror stories and know it's really not good for you at all. But, I do have a sweet tooth and figured that being very overweight is having a detrimental affect on my health, so if using artificial sweetener helps me to lose the weight then the benefits outweight the risks..or so I hope! Once I am down to a sensible & healthy weight I will then tackle the issue of my sweet tooth and cut out the sweetener!

Stevia is normally my first choice though and you only need a very tiny amount of it.

I've never heard of Stevia Britmum - what sort of shop would I buy that from? Is it a natural product? xxx

Thats a good point Mel2 - is it the lesser of two evils? xxx

If I need sweetener (I would rather use sugar and syn it), I only use splenda (I am on my second tub since November). I have heard of Stevia but was horrified when I read Food Standards Agency - Stevia and Stevioside
which says 'As a result of the outcome of safety assessments which have been carried out, Stevia and stevioside are not permitted for sale as food or food ingredients in the UK or elsewhere within the EU'. :eek: :eek:

I have wondered about trying Sweet Freedom Natural Sweetener 440g product information - Tesco.com

Oh bugger - thats Holland and Barrett out then I suppose!!!!!! Amazing that half the world clearly thinks that Stevia is ok but the other half think its toxic. I'm thinking maybe I should just develop savoury cravings instead....!!!!!

That is strange as I am sure someone managed to get stevia recently in the UK from a health food store.

Stevia comes from a leaf of a plant, I would much rather use that, than something which is artificially produced.

below is the supposed risks with certain artificial sweeteners:

The sweet lowdown
Even the best artificial sweeteners may come with a health-related caveat. A breakdown of some of the best-known sugar alternatives:
Aspartame
What is it? A low-calorie artificial sweetener that has been approved for use in Canada since 1981. It is added to many products, including diet pop, yogurt, cereal and chewing gum.
Status: Sold under the brand names Equal and NutraSweet and is added to food and beverages by manufacturers.
What's the catch? Numerous studies have suggested aspartame may be linked to the development of a variety of cancers. In 2005, a European study found rats fed aspartame at comparable levels per body weight to humans had a higher risk of developing brain tumours, lymphoma and leukemia.
Sucralose
What is it? An artificial sweetener that's added to packaged foods and sold in packets or granulated form.
What's the catch? Some studies have suggested sucralose may promote weight gain and have a harmful effect on beneficial gut bacteria.
Saccharin
What is it? One of the oldest artificial sweeteners, discovered in the 1870s and used in products such as chewing gum, pop and breath mints.
Status: Banned for use as a food additive in Canada since the 1970s.
What's the catch? Saccharin was banned after studies linked the sweetener to cancer in rats. However, it can be sold to consumers as a sweetener, but only at pharmacies.
Cyclamate
What is it? An artificial sweetener that can often come in forms known as sodium cyclamate and calcium cyclamate.
Status: Banned for use as a food additive in Canada. But can be sold directly to consumers with a warning label (usually placed near the ingredient list) that it should only be used on advice of a physician. Sweet ‘N Low is one artificial sweetener in Canada that contains cyclamate.
What's the catch? Cyclamate was banned as a food additive after numerous studies linked it to cancer in animals, as well as possible male reproductive problems.

I hardly use any - I've had a tub of splenda for months now and still not used it, but I don't tend to make cakes etc as I snack on fruit. I do have muller lights and diet coke etc, so consume it in those. I am wary of aspartame and think that it's probably best in small quantities - there must be a good reason why it's not allowed in products meant for under 5s (or 3s - I can't remember!)

This thread has been a real eye-opener for me. I've been consuming really high quantities of Canderel for a long time now and I've made my mind up that I'm going to get rid. Years ago, I used to have 2 spoons of sugar in my tea and coffee but I cut it out in 2005 when I first joined SW cos it was costing me too much in syns. Now I shudder if I taste a sweetened hot drink - so if I can do it for drinks, I can do it for food. I've got to lose this sweet tooth anyway cos its been the cause of so many weight loss failures over the years. Tomorrow am, I shall have my Oats So Simple WITHOUT sweetener! Eeeek!!!!!

This thread has been a real eye-opener for me. I've been consuming really high quantities of Canderel for a long time now and I've made my mind up that I'm going to get rid. Years ago, I used to have 2 spoons of sugar in my tea and coffee but I cut it out in 2005 when I first joined SW cos it was costing me too much in syns. Now I shudder if I taste a sweetened hot drink - so if I can do it for drinks, I can do it for food. I've got to lose this sweet tooth anyway cos its been the cause of so many weight loss failures over the years. Tomorrow am, I shall have my Oats So Simple WITHOUT sweetener! Eeeek!!!!!

If you need some sweetness in things like porridge, you could use honey or maple syrup, but again it would be synned. Nice thouhg :p

OMG I have to buy a big jar of tescos granulated sugar every week:eek:. My husband is the only one who uses it for cuppas and we dont cook with it either:eek:

I try not to use any at all, although I do have the odd muller light or diet coke. I prefer to use real sugar/honey etc and syn it. I get headaches if I drink too much diet coke and I am also worried about other potential health effects.

Can you not try to sweeten porridge with grated apple/mashed banana or similar? You could also wean yourself off sweetners in coffee/tea, by gradually reducing the amount you use. I am down to 1/4 teaspoon of sugar in my morning coffee - nearly there, lol!

Has anyone tried Agave Nectar as an altermative sweetener? I'd be interested in hearing what you think before I buy some.

I don't eat sweeteners at all. Aspartame/acesulfame k give me headaches, dizziness and visual disturbances; Splenda has me running to the the loo with terrible stomach cramps! So I don't eat any "diet" yogurts or drink diet coke etc. It's a bit restricting sometimes, but better than feeling ill!! xx

Circes I've used Agave but only on porridge - it's very very sweet so you only use a little - I've not used it since I've been on SW though so haven't checked the syns.

A jar of sweetener will last me for quite a few weeks as I don't use it in drinks - just on cereal and like you Wannabe I weaned myself off it in tea and coffee years ago but need a bit on cereal.

Has anyone tried Agave Nectar as an altermative sweetener? I'd be interested in hearing what you think before I buy some.

I havent used it, but have seen it used in a lot of recipes here instead of honey and seen it stocked in whole foods I think. It is meant to have less calories than honey, but not sure it keeps as long.

Back