How much is your food bill?

You've got to do the "downshift challenge"!
I now buy the "discount brand" range from Tesco for pasta and it's about a pound for a 1kg bag. Same for rice, so much cheaper than the Tesco stuff.
Certain things like Kelloggs cereal I won't shift on but we've gone to Tesco beans (from Heinz), value tinned tomatoes (unless napolina are on offer!) and other things. I also save a lot by having it delivered. Okay, so you miss out on the reduced items but I always spend a fortune when I pop in for milk!!!

Oh there's plenty of the stripy stuff in my kitchen, particularly tinned tomatoes when mixed up with mushrooms and some herbs, basil, Lee n Perrins and garlic makes a mean syn free pasta sauce! But I won't buy pasta and rice unless it is wholewheat, hence why I don't do the discounted range & I haven't seen a range with the wholeweat stuff that is discounted? If there is, tell me where to go!

I do sometimes splurge and go for organic but that's rare these days. On a slight aside, I'm lucky as I live in central Brighton and there are some amazing fresh produce stores and a butcher who all cost exactly the same as my local Sainsbury's and Tesco - but as well as tasting better they cost about the same as well (the sausages at our butchers are actually about a third of the price but so much better for you - well the OH eats them not me because I can never be sure about syn values!). It's nice to help out our local shops :). But when we lived in London it was impossible to go local - Sainsbury's there too!

I think there is a bit of a fallacy that supermarkets are going to be the cheapest option all the time and it's certainly something my parents have found in their part of the world, so they won't go to supermarkets any more. If you've got a local grocer near you and their stuff looks good it could be worth checking out their prices to see how they compare to the supermarkets (if you haven't done so already of course)?

i cook with Mince turkey/pork instead of mince, tends to be alot cheaper. Meat is the killer really. Turkey rather than chicken, and bulk alot of stews and chilli out with kidney beans, lentils and mushrooms. i find i only litrally need half of the meat!

Markets are usually quite good i find as ur paying with cash and tend not to grab anything on sale

Back