How quickly did you see results?

Hi i have a question for All of you that lost weight, did you ever binge on free food, as in maybe have a bowl of pasta for dinner and then three more before you fall asleep, of course with the third plate of super free food.
I have been doing slimming world for three weeks, with no syns but binge on my dinners which are all free foods. I only lost 2 lb and stayed at that for the last two weeks :(

This isn't the plan. No syns and an over abundance of free food won't see you lose much weight. You eat to your satisfaction but the idea is still three meals and then snacks which should be superfree (first choice) and then free if superfree doesn't hit the spot. Obviously syns are used on top or as part of meals. What you describe is having main meals and then more main meals as snacks? Sheer volume of food, particularly starchy food like pasta, will mean your calorie intake will exceed the amount needed to lose. At the end of the day all diets promote a calorie deficit, just through different methods.

I would suggest re-familiarising yourself with the plan. Planning your day and eating between 5-15 syns. Then you will start to see losses!

by not eating syns you save 300kcal a day. An average sized plate of pasta will be equal to or more than that if you pile it high. 300kcal a day x 7 is 3100. It takes a deficit of 3500 to shift 1lb so not having syns isn't even worth 1lb.

Last edited:
In answer to OP. It took months for people to notice and start to comment. I had probably lost about 2st BUT I was cramming myself into a 16 and breathing in and I'm relatively tall so I blame that for the time it took! Now people mention it all the time :)

Thanks for that very detailed explanation but also kind of sad.. But better than continuing and getting depressed it's not working thank u x

Thanks for that very detailed explanation but also kind of sad.. But better than continuing and getting depressed it's not working thank u x

It all comes down to trusting the plan and that can be hard. We all try and cut back at times. In the early stages I did EXACTLY what you describe. I was having hardly any syns and not eating enough free food except at dinner which was (and still is) huge. I stalled for 2 weeks and couldn't figure out why either!

the plan works as it's set for a reason. It fills us up with nutrient dense food that is either lower in calories or works to promote that feeling of satisfaction so we eat less overall.

If you are unsure post a typical days good on here and ask for opinions. There are lots of seasoned SW-era that will help you start the losses again :)

A loss is a loss and the initial weeks loss isn't always the massive 5lb+ that some report. Loads of things can affect it like if you were eating fairly healthily before or if you have less to lose than some. It is easier to see it as % weightloss that way it's subjective to each person and why minimins is good is because if you keep your stats up to date it shows your % body weight loss. Have a look down the left of my signature. You would have to make more of your stats visible and can do this via the control panel but you may have to have a certain number of posts...I forget. Maybe 50? Or maybe you can and have elected not to. All personal choice.

Anyway I digress slightly....if you want a commentary on your food diary you will get the best response if you post either a link in the main forum or post a link to your diary. Do either in a new post and they will come flocking.... ;)

I've lost 10lbs in just over 4 weeks, but I honestly can't see or feel any difference. Mind you, I'm so bloody gigantic that 10lbs is a bit of a drop in the ocean! I'm not stressing about it though, I don't pressure myself with goals or mini-goals because I know myself too well - my mind reacts with reverse psychology - if I set a goal and don't reach it I'll reach for the Pinot, followed by a large Cadbury's whole nut. Obviously I have a goal to lose weight, but I'm working on "landmarks" - the first one will be when I drop a dress size. Again no stress, no pressure. I spent a small fortune on new clothes just before Xmas as I'd gone up yet another size, so I figure that until I go down one size, at least I'm getting my money's worth on the new stuff. Losing weight is an uphill struggle for most people - if it wasn't then we wouldn't be here in the first place. Adding to the struggle with internal pressures to see any notable difference or for clothes to feel looser or to suddenly be able to run 5 miles when you have enough trouble getting up the stairs makes it even more difficult for me. We were all patient enough when it came to actually doing something about it. I was very patient for about 9 years getting fatter and fatter. Now I've just got to use the same patience while I'm getting rid of it!

Can I just say I love your attitude to a slow loss and think I may adopt it for myself too... As I have found I become disheartened all to easily!

X

Hi Lahara,

I obviously could kick myself from time to time if I give in to temptation, but I also think that can work the opposite way - never being able to have a little of what you fancy would make me give up as I'd feel deprived. I have enough people putting pressures on me in my life without adding to the load by putting pressure on myself! That's the way its working for me, and it definitely is working as I'm now getting a bit more used to the changes in my eating habits - but we'll see at weigh in tomorrow!

All limbs are crossed for you tomorrow.

I would like to see a 1.5-2lb weight loss this week but I would settle for 0.5 if it means it stays off! X

Back