How to cut down on my fav syn..... Vino!

Lucylu79

Gold Member
Just looking for some fellow alcohol lovers really!

I had an email from Disney yesterday saying that our holiday is in 12 weeks. If I could lose 12lbs in that time I would be super proud of myself, I would be back to pre-pregnancy weight, which hopefully would mean back in my old clothes which should also mean i'm happy with my weight again and happy to have photos taken etc. At the moment, none of those apply!

There's 1 thing holding me back and its the weekend and that blooming wine.

Honesty part coming up......... Hubby and I do drink at home (mainly weekends) and we aren't looking to change that. We have 2 beautiful children and spend all of our spare time with them, go out like once a year, that sort of thing! Having a drink together is our thing.

I've just started exercising and its really tough, I would like to improve faster so in turn that means more training which if I could fit in would be great and no-one likes exercising the day after a few drinks!

I know whats wrong, I have low syns all week and then have a blow out over the weekend and we all know wine is high anyway, half a bottle was what I drank last night and i'm happy with that. Just to keep this feeling going and wondering if anyone else like me could do with reducing a little bit here and there?

I hope it's not just me :eek:

Hi Lucy!
Your holiday sounds so exciting :) good luck with getting back to pre-pregnancy weight, I think 12lb in 12 weeks is doable. What are your average losses like?
Wine was/is definitely my downfall too. It's so syn-heavy!
I switched to martini and diet lemonade/diet coke as it's 2.5 syns for a 50ml measure- I think most spirits are 2.5 for 25ml (but obviously double the ABV as martini is around 20, others around 40 give or take). You can buy pub-style measures, or I just used my digital scales.
I stuck with martini because it felt a bit less like a 'spirit' drink at home. For some reason I'd feel odd pouring myself a vodka or gin at home!
You can make it a long drink with the diet mixers too and get more for your syns.
I'm by no means perfect, especially at the moment, but switching to martini really helped me before and is something I aim to get back to.
I found I was less hungover too from the mixers!
Hope this helps x

Hi Rosie, I do love Dark Rum and Diet Coke and the ocasional Gin and Slim but like you I prefer the idea of a lower % drink at home, I like the idea of switching to a lower % though so thanks!

My losses are around 1lb per week and I have to work for that doing SW especially as i've just left my class (I wasn't gaining anything from it) Hence i've just started a Personal Training session once per week. I really want to tone at the same time as last time I lost weight through SW alone and I wasn't happy with my legs but the top half couldn't be an skinnier, my face was too skinny!

I might go buy some Martini - which one do you have?

xx

It is worth a try! It really helped for me- I felt like I had more control and as the drinks were only 2.5 each, it felt like I could have a lot and stay within syn.
Is there anything else on the plan you feel like you could change so you don't feel you're working so hard for your losses? e.g. swap potatoes for butternut squash, more speed etc. I was having my best losses when I cut back on carbs a bit- I remember one night I made a lamb curry and had it over cauliflower, broccoli and carrots instead of rice! It sounds weird but because of the strong flavour of the curry it worked. Things like cauliflower rice/zoodles would be better haha.
Exercise is a great idea- if it's intense be prepared for your muscles retaining a little water as they heal and therefore not showing on the scales. I find a protein rich meal after helps with this- egg based usually!
I like Extra Dry with diet coke or Bianco with lemonade and sliced lime :p

Extra dry sounds nice! Must try that :)

Yes I totally agree, if I skip the carbs or even reduce them of an evening I always feel lighter the next day!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, perhaps it's just me that likes a tipple, I thought i'd get loads of people in the same boat ;)

Hey it's not just you I like wine but no I will not lose if I drink it so I sometimes have a spritzer then have a few vodka an lemonade my loses are average 1lb a week but like you all mine an my partners spare time goes on the kids we don't go out an it's nic not sit down in the evening ( not every evening hahaha) an have a few drinks, an I think if that's what you want to do then so be it I have said to myself now I'm not giving up a few drinks to lose quicker I don't smoke I don't go out but even if it's slow I'll get there in the end. How about looking for a low syn long drink that you could make a jug of an share like pimms not sure on the syns my consultant has strips of paper an measures her drinks to her syns she has enough bits of paper to equal 15 syns so each time she has a drink she moves a bit of paper to the other side of her purse so she knows when she's had her syns an not to go over

Great thread for me just now. Had a great 1st week & half and was down ~6lbs. Went to dinner/dance Friday & away with girls over weekend. Ate well, exercised loads but had wine Friday & Saturday. Weigh in today was UP .5lb. Totally bummed. So not only did I lose great works from 1st part of week (was looking like I would have a 2nd -3lb loss) but i actually put on week in my 2nd blooming week.

Not good. I have a lot to lose so think I need to totally steer clear of wine. Not a huge fan of spirits but if I need a drink that will have to be my tipple I think!!

Off to fess up on challenge threads now! :(:(

Many people drink soda an lime good on yah of you can wine is a killer that's why I try to have a spritzer then change to the spirts, alcohol free wine is just as bad in syns to

Well I didn't have any wine last night! BUT, i'm poorly with one of the worst colds i've had in years so I did have a hot toddy (the ONLY time I drink whisky - YUCK!) Went way way way over syns yesterday what with cold and flu drinks, cough medicine etc. Going to write off the next few days whilst I recover and look forward to feeling better, at least the last thing on my mind is wine right now!!

Hope you feel better soon I think the flu capsules are free as they are not liquid if that helps hot water bottle an sofa it is

Back