how to make perfect poached egg?

debtin

Gold Member
Not sure if this should go under receipe section since technically its a method as opposed to receipe.please can someone tell me how to make poached egg? Ruined six eggs once...not good. Really want to get this down to a fine art..please

Hey, not sure if it's in right place either but I put vinegar in a pan with boiled water and then bring the water to a rolling boil before putting the eggs in, depends how you like your egg really but it doesn't take more than a couple of mins!!!

Hope that helps :)

Someone gave me this tip a few weeks ago. Put some cling film inside a cup, leaving loads over the edges, crack your egg into it, tie up the edges so its like its in a little bag, then pop it into boiling water leaving the top tie bit outside the water, then boil for a few minutes. I haved tried this a few times and it really does work, they came out with perfect yolks too.

OK, what I do is crack an egg into a frylighted piece of clingfilm, then twist up the ends to make a little parcel. Place it in boiling water for 3 minutes and voila - perfecy poached eggs!

Argh don't have any cling film for tom breakfast but will definately be buying some. Will try the vinegar idea tom thanks so much everyone

The best ever and most foolproof way is by using 'poach pods' which you can get from
Lakeland and now supermarkets. They are silicone 'pods' which you spray 1 x spray of fry light into, crack the egg into it then 'float' them in a sauté pan with the LID ON- very important!

Within a few minutes you have perfectly poached eggs which are successful every time. Me and my family / friends are all using them. They are FANTASTIC.

:) xxx

A very simple way I found recently saw it mentioned on a website may have been this one

Boil a kettle, put water in the wok and ensure pan hot and bubbling,drop egg straight in
Take out about 2/3 minutes later - in a wok due to the shape it just sits on the bottom in the correct shape and solidifies perfectly
I have tried allsorts over the years with vinegar, spinning the water round in a pan, a special pan - this is so simple and beats them all

I use those "lakeland" poached egg silicone holders for microwave use, you do a couple of dummy runs to judge the right amount of time for your wattage of microwave , after that it's so easy! See the pics below......

Spicybacon-1Large.jpg

SalmonWatercressLarge.jpg

Bigbreakfast-2Large.jpg

yep, have to vouch for the clingfilm method. to ring the changes after spraying with frylight put a tiny pinch of black pepper and or fresh herbs on the clingfilm before dropping the eggs in. Did this last night for my tea, 3 eggs served on microwaved spinach with 1tbsp piccalilly for an extra kick

what you could do, is bake them rather than poach them, frylight a muffin or cake tin using 1 well for each egg crack on in, bake for 10 mins (I used to dry my hair while this was baking) then run a knife round edges and pop them out.

you could even use silcone bun moulds and pop in the micro.

I either use the swirling water method or poachettes from Lakeland....Perfect poached eggs either way :)

I use silicone egg poachers too. I got mine from the Steamer Trading Company, somewhere about £3-6 for 2. Perfect eggs everytime, but as said before, put the lid on.

I saw this on the internet. You need a small microwavable container with a lid.

Put a drop water in the bottom of the container.

Crack your egg into the container and put in microwave with lid slightly off to let the steam escape.

Microwave for 1 minute.

Done.

You would have to experiment for the wattage of your microwave but it really works for me. :p x

Back