How's it going folks?

Hope ye's are all well. First post here since I found this site a few weeks ago. Basically I plan to start the Cambridge Diet on Tuesday. Have a meeting with one of the consultants tomorrow night and hopefully get the ball rolling from there.

I am 14 and a half stone, 5ft 10 or so, so my BMI is around 29.1 I think. Was normal weight as a wee young boy, then beefed it up, was thinner around when I was 18 and playing hurling and that, went to England for uni, was all grand then started going out with the woman, this led me not to care as much and now after breaking up I feel really uncomfortable with the weight I'm carrying. I like the anonymity of this board as I wouldn't chat to any of my mates about the whole weight thing, silly I know but there ya go. I basically want to be able to buy the clothes I like, I'm not massive but I detest any type of tight clothing. I also want to get back into hurling, which I can't/too embarrassed to just land at training. So want to get the beef down and hit the gym.

As I said hopefully I will start this on Tuesday (which is in actual fact the same day that I start a new job). How do you all work this thing around work, how do I not look like an eejit only eating a bar for lunch, should I just say I'm on some sorta fitness regime?

Also, and this is the big thing for me, how do ye's all deal with the alcohol thing. I'm a big drinker, would drink around 4 days plus a week, and quite often go on benders for a few days (this isn't a debate about the lifestyle that's just the truth). But now I'll be working 9-5 Monday to Friday I obviously wouldn't be drinking during the week at all. Now I think i am planning to go on the Sole Source plan for 4 weeks (4 weeks until graduation), and I hope that the next 4 weekends I can stay off the booze, which involves becoming a hermit as everything seems to revolve around the drink. Now that wont be a bother but then if I go on a rip straight after, how would this affect me? Should I just go on the vodka and stay on that? I fully understand that mixing alcohol and this diet is a big no no so I wouldn't even be tempted. Also is the plan to go on it for 4 weeks too short and silly?

Now I realise that some of you might think that this a futile post as I haven't even met the advisor yet but I'm trying to just get an idea and it has taken me ages to post this :eek:

Any help and advice is very much appreciated

Mick :)

Hey Mick

Didn't want to read and run and whilst I can't help with the work thing (I work from home) I can with the alcohol one!! I play for a womens football team and as you can imagine everything revolves around going out and drinking (pub golf being one of the faves) so this is something I had to deal with. For me I just told them I was doing it and it was important to me and they were all really supportive and I've never not gone out with them - but I just drink water. Yes I got the mick taken out of me for it and still do but thats all part of the banter of mates and I give as good as I get. If you don't think you can go out without drinking then the hermit idea is a good one - just think 4 weekends is nothing if you really want to achieve your goal :) Good luck with your consultant tomoz

Nic x

Hey Mick

Didn't want to read and run and whilst I can't help with the work thing (I work from home) I can with the alcohol one!! I play for a womens football team and as you can imagine everything revolves around going out and drinking (pub golf being one of the faves) so this is something I had to deal with. For me I just told them I was doing it and it was important to me and they were all really supportive and I've never not gone out with them - but I just drink water. Yes I got the mick taken out of me for it and still do but thats all part of the banter of mates and I give as good as I get. If you don't think you can go out without drinking then the hermit idea is a good one - just think 4 weekends is nothing if you really want to achieve your goal :) Good luck with your consultant tomoz

Nic x

Cheers Nic,

I don't think I could head out as I'd be known as one of the big swalliers. And I don't really like the company of drunk people when I'm sober :D . Aye 4 week's is nothing like so hopefully I can stick to it. Will be better craic going back on it after being off it for a while :)

Good luck Mick I'm sure you'll be fine, 4 weeks will fly past!! It's really worth it!!!

Good luck for Tues and starting your CD journey!!

Where in Ireland are you from? I'm over next weekend :) x

Good luck for Tues and starting your CD journey!!

Where in Ireland are you from? I'm over next weekend :) x

Cheers for the support :)

I'm from Belfast, where abouts are ye heading?

Co Westmeath, Mullingar then Croke Park for Take That concert!! Yippee!! X

Hey Mick and a big :welcome: to minis.4 weeks is nothing on cd,it really will fly by.I think you should get the tetras for work they are ready made drinks that you can use,but have them cold as when warm there are not the best at all.Id say you will lose a little over the 2 stone in the 4 weeks and that should give you a big confidence boost.Men always seem to loose quicker on cd than women(not very fair..lol).

Anyway best of luck with it all,once you get past the 1st few days you`ll be on a roll.

Hey Mick and a big :welcome: to minis.4 weeks is nothing on cd,it really will fly by.I think you should get the tetras for work they are ready made drinks that you can use,but have them cold as when warm there are not the best at all.Id say you will lose a little over the 2 stone in the 4 weeks and that should give you a big confidence boost.Men always seem to loose quicker on cd than women(not very fair..lol).

Anyway best of luck with it all,once you get past the 1st few days you`ll be on a roll.

Thank ya very much :) . Well losing 2 stone would be immense for the 4 weeks, I would be ecstatic! Aye from reading this forum it seems that the first few days are the toughest then it should be grand, so looking forward to say next weekend when it should all be kicking in.

Welcome Mick! I love the way you type, I can hear your accent in my head and it makes me smile :D

I found I struggled at lunch time in work, so I went to SS+ & could have a small chicken/cottage cheese salad. That might help if you are worried about what people might say, losses aren't much different between SS & SS+ and if it takes away the stress, for me it was more than worth it.

Alcohol, I used to have a good old drink every Saturday & haven't had any for 10 weeks now, it's hard at first but it isn't forever! It's 4 weeks out of your life, just think like that. And if you eat normal carby meals before you go out drinking & make sure you aren't in ketosis after the 4 weeks are up, you should be OK.

I've been to a party & had water on CD, still had a laugh!

You'll do great, first few days are the worst (they say 3 but for me it was 5, must have had one hell of a carb store!!) just keep posting here & we'll help you through it :)

Welcome Mick! I love the way you type, I can hear your accent in my head and it makes me smile :D

I found I struggled at lunch time in work, so I went to SS+ & could have a small chicken/cottage cheese salad. That might help if you are worried about what people might say, losses aren't much different between SS & SS+ and if it takes away the stress, for me it was more than worth it.

Alcohol, I used to have a good old drink every Saturday & haven't had any for 10 weeks now, it's hard at first but it isn't forever! It's 4 weeks out of your life, just think like that. And if you eat normal carby meals before you go out drinking & make sure you aren't in ketosis after the 4 weeks are up, you should be OK.

I've been to a party & had water on CD, still had a laugh!

You'll do great, first few days are the worst (they say 3 but for me it was 5, must have had one hell of a carb store!!) just keep posting here & we'll help you through it :)

Haha it's a quare oul accent indeed. Just be lucky I'm typing and not speaking or ye wouldn't understand a thing.

Just back from meeting with the councilor woman and she was great. We chatted all through it and can't wait to get stuck into it tomorrow. I made one of the mint choc shakes there and it tasted great. Going to blend it tomorrow morning with ice and I'll be flying. Soon enough I'll be the same weight as I was 4 years ago as a young cub.

Going to bring in wan of them soup things for lunch as she was saying it isn't advisable to have a bar on your first week as ye don't lose as much.

Hopefully the hunger isn't too much, although I don't think I'll be too bad as there have been plenty of episodes of being a student here in Liverpool with not enough money for a loaf so I'm used to the twangs :D

Cheers for the support :)

Just finishing day wan by having my chocolate shake. Had a mint chocolate wan this morning and it was lovely. Didn't have time during lunch in my first day of work the day to have a soup but had it as soon as I got in, had another around 8 and that's my fourth one now. Sort of felt hungry the day but not too mental.

The vegetable soup and the leek and potato soup was very nice. i'm now worried I'm going to get something I don't like as I have loved everything so far :D

Well done for making it through your first day! The trick is to keep busy for the first 2 weeks!

I was surprised at how nice the products were too, I hav sickened myself with the porridges though!

Have you managed to drink your quota of water, I really struggled at first (so did my bladder lol!)

Well done on getting through day one,you`ll fly through this.I dont like the soups,i literally live on banana tetras thats it.I try not to have the bars as these seem to slow my losses down.You will be allowed the bars on week 3 and the mix-a-mousse,but sure you`ll only have a week left so you might not even bother
Keep up the good work

Well done on getting through day one,you`ll fly through this.I dont like the soups,i literally live on banana tetras thats it.I try not to have the bars as these seem to slow my losses down.You will be allowed the bars on week 3 and the mix-a-mousse,but sure you`ll only have a week left so you might not even bother
Keep up the good work

The councilor was saying I can have the bars next week, but to be honest after today I don't think I'll bother with them at all. Everything seems grand and I'll just make a cuppa soup in work at lunch.

Cheers :)

Well done for making it through your first day! The trick is to keep busy for the first 2 weeks!

I was surprised at how nice the products were too, I hav sickened myself with the porridges though!

Have you managed to drink your quota of water, I really struggled at first (so did my bladder lol!)

I'm not a fan of porridge in the first place so doubt I'll even try them. Yeah I drank .75l bottle during the day and had 3 pints when i got home. I would usually drink 4-6 pints of water with blackcurrant diluting juice so I'm quite used to it. Just finishing my last drop before bed :)

Just finished day 4, followed 100%, seems to be going grand, bit of hunger yesterday but not much today, seems to be mainly in my head.

Should I bother weighing myself now to see if anything has lost? Don't want to run the risk of nothing been lost and disheartening myself, although I am curious. Should I just wait til the weigh in on Monday?

Well done you! First 4 days are the hardest and you're steaming through, you'll be fine!
I'd stay off til official WI if I was you, I weighed in around day 4 and was 6lbs down, then was dissapointed at day 7 because loss was 6.5 and was expecting more. Plus it will be a nice surprise for you!

First weigh in and I lost 7.5lbs :)

Back