Hummus

haylou123

so so confused...

on EE and wanted to make a hummus with chickpeas, lemon juice, pepper, garlic, however i dont know if it is classed as syns or not?

had a look on other posts and its all mixed opinions, can someone help me :( xx

If you're making it yourself, it's free :)

As long as you don't put oil or something in- this is the reason shop bought ones have syns :)

Perhaps because pureed fruit is synned, they think pureed veg etc is too- I can see why, it is sort of illogical. But that might be why :)
The ingredients you listed are free, and so the hummus should be, though I know this doesn't always follow :p
Anyway, you have no problems there :)

your my little savour claire!!! why do some people say it is classed as a syn then?

Who says its synned? As long as you dont put synnable things (like oil, tahini, sesame seeds etc) in its free. The ones from the shop arent free of course, but if you make you own you can make it entirely free.

well i had a look on other posts and they were saying to class is a syn!!! which i thought was rather mad.. i am now on my way to buy the stuff as i want it now!!! mmmmmmmmmmmh tasty lunch on its way :)

I think thats when you use chickpeas to make flour and things or roast them to have dry as a snack on their own - ie adapting to things out of their normal way of eating. It doesnt apply to using them in an entirely normal way as part of a meal. Enjoy your hummus! :)

I do sw online and when I go the recipes sw has a houmous recipe and it's free

Houmous

Serves: 2
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time:
Syns per serving:
bullet-amazing-support.gif
FREE
bullet-healthy-eating.gif
FREE

ingredients

1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
Fry Light
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
20-50ml water
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste

method

1. Place the sliced red pepper on a baking tray sprayed with Fry Light and roast until softened.
2. Once the pepper is cooked and cooled, place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend, adding more water if necessary to create a smooth paste.
3. Add salt to taste and serve with chopped up carrot batons or any of your favourite Free vegetable sticks!

I'm not a massive garlic fan so instead of getting a bulb, I bought some garlic paste. Put in a pea sized amount and got to work making my houmous. Well, it reeeeeeeeked of garlic and I wasted it because it was so strong and tasted disgusting. I love houmous and none I've ever had ever smelled like that.

Am I best to use a clove? Maybe even a half?

Here's what I did.

2 cans of chick peas
250g low fat cottage cheese
Garlic paste
Juice of half a lime
tiny bit of salt
Whizzed in blender.

Anything glaringly obvious that made it smell like a dirty tramp?

I probably wouldn't put the cottage cheese in. Just a clove or garlic, can of chickpeas, salt and pepper, lemon juice. Add a bit of chickpea water if necessary....

Yeah, I thought it was weird but it was in the recipe that was posted on here a while ago (Ermintrude's I THINK but not sure).

OMG! I love houmus and it never occurred to me that there would be a 'simplified' recipe without the oil etc.

Definitely one for the lunchbox tomorrow. Yum yum:bliss:

Yeah, I thought it was weird but it was in the recipe that was posted on here a while ago (Ermintrude's I THINK but not sure).

No not mine, that was the beetroot recipe out of the SW mag which I thought was spew anyway, although everyone else seemed to like it :confused: It was rank, do NOT put cottage cheese in hummus :jelous:

This is my recipe for jalapeno hummus: http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/226316-snacks-work.html#post3916731 (Basically 1 tin of chickpeas (drained but keep the juice - use about 4tbsp of it), 1 clove garlic, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 tsp cumin, 10 jalapenos slices plus 1 tbsp jalapeno juice, salt & pepper - all in the whizzer)

tbh if you're not putting jalapenos in I do find homemade hummus a bit wet and tasteless without tahini, so you might want to use a HEX/syns for a dsp of that. But then I do like my meals with a LOT of flavour (garlic, spices etc)

Cottage cheese is the devil's spawn :jelous:

I was just coming to correct myself. Yours was the jalapeno one which I will try next. Maybe it was the cottage cheese that did it.
Oh I don't know. I might just go and get some Morrisons lighter stuff and binge on it after WI on Thursday.

Oh and if anyone wants to give me a syn free recipe for Taramasalata then feel free! ;) I LOVE that!!

This is my recipe for jalapeno hummus: http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/226316-snacks-work.html#post3916731 (Basically 1 tin of chickpeas (drained but keep the juice - use about 4tbsp of it), 1 clove garlic, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 tsp cumin, 10 jalapenos slices plus 1 tbsp jalapeno juice, salt & pepper - all in the whizzer)

Thanks, I like the idea of putting jalapenos in it. I like lots of flavor too, and even though I put garlic in my hummus, it still can be a bit boring as you said.
I'll try it ;)

Ooooh, the jalapeno hummus sounds lovely! Thanks for the idea. :)

I tend to add coriander and spring onion to mine, it makes a lovely lunch with vegetable sticks. I've also taken it to parties/bbqs etc and it's always gone down a storm!

Mm Ive thought about that as I used to loveLoveLOVE Lemon & coriander hummus, Id eat a pot a day :eek: How much coriander do you put in yours?

I don't weigh it or anything, so it's hard to describe! I tend to start with 10 leaves or so, then add to taste. I like things really coriander-y (made up word there...), so I might go overboard at times!

Mm I like coriander, I just put some in salad with some lime juice and ginger, yummy. OK Ill have a go next time. Coriander is a ***** to keep alive/fresh so once I buy it I have to use it aaaallll in about 2 days. The b/f reckons he's allergic to it so I dont get it often :(

That's a shame. :(

Some of my foodie friends have frozen fresh herbs before, namely by chopping them finely, then freezing them in ice cube trays. Maybe you could try that for a sneaky coriander-on-demand stash? ;)

Back