Hummus

Ive got some frozen for curries and stuff but I like it fresh with salads and stuff too. Is there a knack to getting it to stay alive? :D Ive not got green fingers :( :eek:

If there's a knack, I'm unfortunately yet to find it. :(

ok so i have just had a massive bowl of the stuff, and i am trulyyyyyyy stuffed! i added in chilli pepper and it was lovely!!!! def got my approval, must not over do it though or i will hate the stuff!!!

also text my C and she said it is free, i get so worried when i find something that's free eat loads of it and then find out its synned! not with this one tho :)

brit mum, how can these things taste sooooo good and be free??? it blows my mind haha!!!

i am the only one on slimming world in my house, and just ate a whole bowl of the stuff with a mountain of carrot, cucumber and celery. my mum and dad were like your get fat eating all that!!! NO I WONT, unlike you eating your kitkat and 6 ryvitas!!!!

ermintrude said:
Mmm Ive got that one on my list of stuff to try... Unfortunately I am so addicted to roast sweeties that I scoff them as soon as they come out of the oven :(

You can use various veggies to make yummy hummus. Artichoke is another good one to add or aubergine ;)

I make a nice caramelised onion one-usually put tahini in it as HEB, but could leave it out. I just add caramelised onion chutney to the above basic recipe and syn it but you could make a syn free version too.

Going on a picnic on sat-cant decide whether to make britmums sweet potato version or ermintudes jalapeno. Decisions decisions! Maybe just make both ;)

I've also done a broad bean one, a Puy lentil one and a carrot & cumin one so far. Nothing beats the jalapeno tho (except maybe Britmum's sweetie one which I havent tried yet)

5963622953_79e644039d_o.jpg

6008173738_697970d670_o.jpg

6008173806_9c55de0cfb_o.jpg

Ermintrude the pics look fab! I had to make some :) Only made the basic one but its lovely! Do you use all raw ingredients or do you cook the broad beans/carrots first? I bought some light tahini paste, is that still 4.5 syns per table spoon the same as the 'non-light' normal one lol? x

The broad bean one I boiled for 4-5 min. You were supposed to pop them out of their skins too but I didn't cos I think the skin is the tastiest bit! :D About 400-500g broad beans (podded weight) cooked and whizzed with 1 clove garlic, juice 1/2 lemon, a bit of the juice from boiling the broad beans (about 3-4tbsp), 1tsp tahini (or however much you're willing to 'spend', up to 1tbsp), S&P.

It didnt taste like hummus at all, but I did really like it. It didnt go with veggies though IMO, the taste of the carrot etc just overpowered it. When I have it again Im gonna put it on some crispbread, maybe with a bit of goat's cheese and/or crumbled walnuts (Ive had this idea in my head a couple of weeks now but Ive got NO BROAD BEANS! :( )

The lentil and carrot ones I got out of the Alice Hart book. They're nice but a very delicate taste so best eaten on their own, not with anything very strong-flavoured.

The lentils were cooked Puy lentils whizzed with 4 sun dried tomatoes, plus the usual garlic, lemon, S&P. And a bit of parsley.

The carrot was 2 cooked carrots, 1 tin drained chickpeas, pinch ground cardamon plus garlic, lemon, S&P and 1tsp tahini (again, however much you can 'afford').

PS I didnt know you could get tahini light, wow where's that from? :) Id definitely use it if its light, I just dont really like 'wasting' a HEX on it as that usually messes up my dinner :( And I dont need it with the jalapeno hummus :D

Hmm there seem to be quite a few. This one: http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/tahini-light-270g-meridian.html seems to work out at 4.5 syns for a tbsp which is pretty good! Have I got this right?

Last edited:
Light tahini isnt 'light' in the diet sense of the world, it is literally lighter in colour and texture than dark tahini because the sesame seeds are processed without their husks.

HTH. X

Light tahini isnt 'light' in the diet sense of the world, it is literally lighter in colour and texture than dark tahini because the sesame seeds are processed without their husks.

HTH. X

Ah right! Mmm Im still glad I came across the one above though if it really is 4.5 syns per tbsp. Presumably it cant count as a HEX because the fibre has been lost in husking? But Id prob syn it anyway, so you get more for your syns. Might try to get some of this then :) Have I calculated it right? It seems too good to be true :confused: :D

Any tahini is 4.5 syns per tablespoon, so you have definitely got it right. I think I would syn it instead of using it as a HEX - being a greedy moo, I want as much as possible from my HEX! :D

PS I didnt know you could get tahini light, wow where's that from? :) Id definitely use it if its light, I just dont really like 'wasting' a HEX on it as that usually messes up my dinner :( And I dont need it with the jalapeno hummus :D

Hmm there seem to be quite a few. This one: Light Tahini 270g (Meridian) - HealthySupplies.co.uk. Buy Online. seems to work out at 4.5 syns for a tbsp which is pretty good! Have I got this right?
I got the sunita light tahini in holland and barratt today. Thanks for all the info on the different flavours! I will have to try them all :D I have it on corn cracker things that taste of nothing so should get full effect of flavours :) xxx

Any tahini is 4.5 syns per tablespoon, so you have definitely got it right. I think I would syn it instead of using it as a HEX - being a greedy moo, I want as much as possible from my HEX! :D

Oh is it I thought a dessertspoon was a HEX and a dessertspoon two teaspoons. *book trundle...* Ahhhhh it's *2* level dsp wow I didnt think you got that much, wahey! :D

Oh is it I thought a dessertspoon was a HEX and a dessertspoon two teaspoons. *book trundle...* Ahhhhh it's *2* level dsp wow I didnt think you got that much, wahey! :D
Sorry! Ignore me Ermintrude, clearly I don't know my HEXs as well as I should! Am actually rather impressed with the amount you get though. :D

No no, YOU got it right, it was me that was dense, as per usual :eek: :D

Haha, let's just call it quits on that one then. ;)

My C brought the Roasted Sweet Potato Hummus into class last night for us to try. It was AMAZING. I will definitely be going onto BritMumInCanada's blog to get the recipe. Thanks! :)

Back