Hypothyroid Hopeful

NurseLibby

Hi all :D I've been a background member of this forum for a few years now, I've always found it invaluable for support and motivation and information on different diets.

Well, 2 1/2 years ago I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism which is a disorder that affects your metabolism. After gaining 4 stone in a few months and being a stable weight for all my life, the doctors finally did the blood test which came back as Hypothyroid (after not telling me I was for 6 months, but that is another story!)

When you are diagnosed with Hypothyroidsm, you 'expect' the weight to fall off in a month or s after starting treatment. It doesn't. 3 years on and my weight is now at 17 stone.

Ive tried sticking to my usual ways of eating, which was pretty healthy and maintained a low weight but I just cannot lose anything. I joined Twitter, and met a community of people on there who are also Hypothyroid, and learnt I am not alone with this.

A tip I got was to try a very low calorie diet (VLCD) and with support from my GP I have started this today. When I have enough post access (Ive always been a background forum/er) I will be starting up a diary of how this goes, especially in terms of my health changes as Hypothyroidism has a lot of co-morbid disorders such as high blood pressure.

Anyway, sorry for the long introduction, I was hoping posting this here would help me find others on here with the same condition, so that we can learn from each other.

Heres to day1 guys! :girlpower:

Back