I got a reply from Starbucks...

icemoose

The Diet Guy
Well as you may or may not know I love Starbucks!! It is my favourite place when I go shopping and have been known to go to Norwich and just sit in one of them for hours!

Anyway I always have Americano coffee (7 calories!) with a squirt of sugar free hazelnut, and then usually have one of their healthy snacks!

So usually I have a bit of skinny carrot cake or a skinny lemon muffin!

Anyway (this is a long story lol), I was wondering what calories are actually in them as skinny means low fat and not low calorie.

So I asked!! The people in the shop didn't know :sigh:

So I E-Mailed head office and they came back yesterday!!

Product Name

Skinny Carrot Cake

Calories (Kcal)

Fat (g)

Saturated Fat (g)

Carbohydrates (g)

So not too bad!! Not much fat in the grand scheme of things (90 grams a day recommended) and less than 200 calories so not bad BUT THEN!!

Product Name:

Skinny Lemon Poppy Seed Muffin

Calories (Kcal)

Full Fat (g)

of which Saturated Fat (g)

Carbohydrates (g)

400 CALORIES!!! Just goes to show you that because something is sold as healthy it can be laden with calories!

If you were to have a large skinny latte and a skinny muffin then it would be over 600 calories. 600 calories when it sounds like you are being really good and having everything skinny and being an angel!!

I still love Starbies but I shall be sticking to carrot cake unless I really fancy the muffin

More details --> http://starbucks.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres...9/1351/Leaflet_BeverageNutritionSKU191973.pdf

Mike

P.S. If you have a large whole milk white mocha with whip then just the drink is 628 calories!! That's a third of a girls intake for the day!!

Sheeesh! How unfair is that!! I love lemon poppy seed muffins too but they don't love me!!

Deffo stick to the carrot cake, mate! lol

i LOVE starbucks as well and i always have the hazelnut too. the only kind of cake i like is carrott cake as well so i still have every reason to go to starbies. yay!

oooooh tres interesting
americano with hazlenut sounds good, i love hazlenut lattes mmmmmmmm but v bad for you
shocking how many calories you can have without even meaning too eh!
dont actually like cakes so much but wanted to ask, what about the carbs in the carrot cake, is that high or on the low side, just interested
ie how many grams of carbs should a maintaining person have per day or do you more watch cals and fat?
thanks anyone who knows
nat xx

oooooh tres interesting
americano with hazlenut sounds good, i love hazlenut lattes mmmmmmmm but v bad for you
shocking how many calories you can have without even meaning too eh!
dont actually like cakes so much but wanted to ask, what about the carbs in the carrot cake, is that high or on the low side, just interested
ie how many grams of carbs should a maintaining person have per day or do you more watch cals and fat?
thanks anyone who knows
nat xx

It is recommended that around 45% of your daily intake comes from Carb.

Therefore if you are say on a maintenance allowance of 2000 calories a day then 45% of that would be 900 carb calories, that equates to 225 grams of carb a day. As the Carrot Cake has 40 grams of carb then it is just over a fifth of the recommended daily carb intake.

Mike

ooh right , thats quite a good amount of carbs then , dosent sound so much now[the carrot cake]
but the lemon thing would use alot of your carbs up, how can they call that skinny??
do they do healthy savory stuff, interesting to see the calorific content of them if they do
thanks mike
nat x

I suppose the problem is that skinny actually means low fat and nothing else.

In America now they call it non-fat carrot cake and have dropped the skinny. I think they should do the same over here.

M.

ahhh right of course, like skinny milk, must remember that skinny = low fat nothing else
handy

In theory sugar could be classed as skinny sugar !! Still sugar though :)

M.

It is recommended that around 45% of your daily intake comes from Carb.

Therefore if you are say on a maintenance allowance of 2000 calories a day then 45% of that would be 900 carb calories, that equates to 225 grams of carb a day. As the Carrot Cake has 40 grams of carb then it is just over a fifth of the recommended daily carb intake.

Mike

That all sounds very complicated to work out? I'm a little worried to be honest about eating once I've completed vlcd, although it a couple of months off. You have done so well Mike, I read your blogg, amazing and keeping it off. How do you get on day-to-day?

I get on ok thanks Yeye, to be honest I certainly don't work out the carb content of everything I eat otherwise it would do your head in!

I do have golden rules I set myself that I never ever break which allows me to keep the all or nothing mentality that the diet requires to lose the weight in the first place.

I tend to be an angel monday to friday in terms of 3 square meals and then if I want to go out at the weekend and have a curry and a few beers then I can without panicking what the scales say.

At the end of the day it is moderation not abstination that allows you to keep the weight off.

M.

This is a great post, I think it's good actually seeing what you're eating before eating it :)

Most big food companies now have nutrition pages. Starbucks give a complete breakdown of everything they sell, Toffee Nut Lattes will never taste the same again now I know they contain 3/4 daily calories:(

McDonalds shocked me, some of their salads are soooo bad for you. Wetherpoons will email you a spreadsheet of their nutritional data if you ask them. I always tell people that I'm Diabetic (naughty I know, sorry!) but they seem really helpful if they think you need the information for a medical condition. I tried once asking for info for dieting and never got anything.

Another naughty cheat I've done is tell the waitress in Bella Italia that I was allergic to Olive Oil and could I have my pasta and sauce without it, they rustled it up in no time....and never charged me for it cos they felt sorry for me :eek: I just felt ashamed, but at least my meal was low fat.

I have had McDonalds salads and they OK as long as you don't put the 500 calorie 25% fat dressing sachet on!!

M.

Sooo glad I read this - I'm just about to pop out to Starbucks. My favourite is the caramel banana frappucino, or the banana java ones they are doing at the moment (with chocolate cookie crumbs in). I'm guessing they are really bad for you - any info on these anyone?

Gawd reading this makes realise how boring I am - I just have a cappucino when i go to Starbucks (skinny of course) :D

I never know what all the other wonderful sounding drinks are, so I stick with what I know. Need to be more adventurous and avoid those lemon poppy muffins, which I think are gorgeous!

Not sure as it isn't on the website, if you really want to know then let me know and I'll mail them.

M.

P.S. Looking at similar drinks (Orange Frap) a venti would be around 550 calories.

Gawd reading this makes realise how boring I am - I just have a cappucino when i go to Starbucks (skinny of course) :D

I never know what all the other wonderful sounding drinks are, so I stick with what I know. Need to be more adventurous and avoid those lemon poppy muffins, which I think are gorgeous!

I always eat the bottom of the muffin first so I just leave the iced mushroom top!! MMMMMMMMMMM!!! Maybe if I cut it in half I can have one half today and one half tomorrow :)

Thanx Mike, you really are an ispiration, I just know what a little pig I can be once I get started with food. I really hope after this diet that my relationship with food wil have changed, and hopefully I will have control back. Thanx again :)

Back