I HATE MY JOB!!!! [SCREAM]

I haven't come back to this thread since my original reply ......... I have a place at uni this Sept doing a PGCE primary - found out today I passed my Science GCSE equivalency test, which was the only thing holding me back. This kind of thread really does put me off! Is teaching primary really that bad?

Hi there! Congrats on getting a place! I'm currently doing Primary PGCE, and just started my second placement. I have really enjoyed the placement part, yes it's hard work with planning, marking, assessment etc but it's very rewarding being in the classroom teaching. The uni aspect for me personally has been quite negative, useless lectures, no organisation but that might just be my uni. I wish I'd done a different route like the GTP so I spent more time in school, on my course I only have 12 weeks teaching time which I don't think is enough!
I don't regret teacher training - I'm looking forward to qualifying and (hopefully!) getting a job for September and having my own class!

Which uni are you going to?

Good luck on your PGCE's girls. Maybe you're experiences will be different to mine. I suspect it makes quite a difference where you work (i.e. which school) as strong leadership could make quite a difference. Being in the classroom is great.

Thank you. I know the PGCE will be tough & I know there's a lot of 'behind the scenes' paperwork & stuff with teaching, but I kind of have these rose coloured specs on .......... I've scrubbed loos for a living (literally), surely nothing can be worse than that? :D

Lol - Yes, I remember my rose tinted specs. Lots of people tried to talk me out of it, but I wanted to find out for myself. Now I know. But it was the only way to find out. PLUS - I'm going to be a supply, so it wasn't a waste. I know some people would hate going from school to school (I might yet), but I don't think I'll hate it as much as the paperwork and working through my weekends. I've met loads of supply teachers who wouldn't dream of giving up their boss-free nomad lifestyle. Maybe I'll be one of them eh. Def worth a go.

Lol - Yes, I remember my rose tinted specs. Lots of people tried to talk me out of it, but I wanted to find out for myself. Now I know. But it was the only way to find out. PLUS - I'm going to be a supply, so it wasn't a waste. I know some people would hate going from school to school (I might yet), but I don't think I'll hate it as much as the paperwork and working through my weekends. I've met loads of supply teachers who wouldn't dream of giving up their boss-free nomad lifestyle. Maybe I'll be one of them eh. Def worth a go.

Heh, were polar opposites.. Im a supply teacher desperate to get a job!
I think its definately a case of different thing suiting different people.. I love the lack of take home work etc on supply but hate the uncertainty of when Ill be working, being thrown in without any planning and not really getting all of the nice experiences like really knowing a class. But again certain parts of full time like you say are daunting.. Currently I'm still an NQT after graduating last summer so although I loved my placements I know full time is going to be a huge amount more work.

Hanz - being a supply on your NQT year must be very stressfull. I've been teaching for 5 years and feel like it could be fun now, but know I wouldn't have thought that for the first few years.
Good luck on your job search xx

Hanz - being a supply on your NQT year must be very stressfull. I've been teaching for 5 years and feel like it could be fun now, but know I wouldn't have thought that for the first few years.
Good luck on your job search xx

Thanks :) Goodthing all the sept jobs are comming out now, already had one interview so although I didnt getit definately a step in the right direction! :)

I notice you're in Cornwall too Hanz. I think it's more difficult to get jobs here, as all the experienced teachers from up-country seem to get any new places :-(

I notice you're in Cornwall too Hanz. I think it's more difficult to get jobs here, as all the experienced teachers from up-country seem to get any new places :-(

Definately! I interviewed last autumn for a job and it was me and 3 other experienced teachers who all had moved down here (I didnt get it as didnt have enough experience, go figure! Heh) But theres definately alot of peole who move down here, and also when people get jobs they dont like to let go of them easily!

Btw good luck with the PGCE :) Its a tough year but can also be alot of fun.

Last edited:
Back