I have been invited to lunch in U2's hotel.........

Gen

Normal
hiya all

well i have started back ss'ing today and doing fine!!!

the job i'm in we deal with a lot of the 5 star hotels in dublin and yes U2's hotel the clarence is one of them and i have been invited there for lunch on thursday!!!!! what am i going to do?????

its all very posh.. the restaurant is called the tea rooms and i have to drive my car to the door and the door man will take it and park it for me???? never before have i done this..

any advice???

Gen xx

I know I am going to be a party pooper but I would always say stick to sole source.

It doesn't stop you enjoying the surroundings or peoples company.

M.

thanks mike but there is only going to be me and one other girl.... what i'm thinking of doing is just emailing her and telling her i'm on this diet and maybe just meet for a cup of tea!!! the reason i want to go down is because i want a nose around the hotel :p :p she isn't going anywhere for a while so i could go down again i'm sure!!

its crap cos for the past couple of weeks i have been eating and now this!!

anyway i'm sure i'll sort something... thanks for the reply

Gen xx

Have a lovely time and think how empowered you will feel afterwards once you realise that you are another few ounces towards your goal weight.

M.

Gen,
Go for it! Eat a healthy AAM-type meal though!
It's a beautiful hotel ( I visited whilst in Dublin for the Ryder Cup)- and worth a little blip on the diet front. I know that's not what many of those here will want me to tell you, but we all know these opportunities don't come every day - and if it costs you an extra day or two of SSing then it's still worth it. The diet is great, but life is too, so go to the hotel, have a great meal, a good look round, do some celeb spotting, and it gives you something to talk about to your mates. Then, after you've left the hotel take a walk along the river and get back on the SSing wagon.
In my business life I often have to take clients to restaurants and have to skip a shake or two - but I climb back on the SS wagon as soon as I can afterwards - sure, its taken me 3.5 months to lose 5.5 stones, and I could have done that quicker by ssing all the time, but....can anyone name me a diet that would have been quicker? No, of course not....but Gen, you and I, and many on here, have more in our lives than the diet .... and life does go on, even if we are on the diet a little longer than others.
So eat a healthy meal, make every minute at the hotel count, and step back into SS immediately.
Hope this helps!

Gen,
Go for it! Eat a healthy AAM-type meal though!
It's a beautiful hotel ( I visited whilst in Dublin for the Ryder Cup)- and worth a little blip on the diet front. I know that's not what many of those here will want me to tell you, but we all know these opportunities don't come every day - and if it costs you an extra day or two of SSing then it's still worth it. The diet is great, but life is too, so go to the hotel, have a great meal, a good look round, do some celeb spotting, and it gives you something to talk about to your mates. Then, after you've left the hotel take a walk along the river and get back on the SSing wagon.
In my business life I often have to take clients to restaurants and have to skip a shake or two - but I climb back on the SS wagon as soon as I can afterwards - sure, its taken me 3.5 months to lose 5.5 stones, and I could have done that quicker by ssing all the time, but....can anyone name me a diet that would have been quicker? No, of course not....but Gen, you and I, and many on here, have more in our lives than the diet .... and life does go on, even if we are on the diet a little longer than others.
So eat a healthy meal, make every minute at the hotel count, and step back into SS immediately.
Hope this helps!

Hiya Winner

Thank you for your post!!

What you say is very very true but i have only got my head back on the ss wagon today after faffing around for 2 months and i feel this is the right time for me. saying that i haven't cancelled yet :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i can still go down and have a nose around the hotel with the person in question and just have a tea if thats what i want to do.

I think i'll leave it till tomorrow to decide!!

how are you doing and well done on losing your 5.5 stones and sure thats brilliant in 3.5 months, way above average!!!

Gen xx

I'd say email her and ask just to meet for a cup of tea!!

One little blip might be ok but it might lead to another blip, then a bigger blip....then a few bigger blips??

Good Luck Gen...and enjoy the nosy!!

Amanda
xx

hey amanda, thanks for that hun. me thinks that is what i will do cos i'm feeling very positive about the whole ss'ing thing at the moment so no point ruining it eh!!! i can still have lunch with her at xmas or some other time cos i reckon she will be there for a while. i'm sure she will understand and if she doesn't.... well who cares :D :D :D

i'll leave it till tomorrow to re-arrange anyway!

love

Gen xx

Hiya Winner

Thank you for your post!!

What you say is very very true but i have only got my head back on the ss wagon today after faffing around for 2 months and i feel this is the right time for me. saying that i haven't cancelled yet :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i can still go down and have a nose around the hotel with the person in question and just have a tea if thats what i want to do.

I think i'll leave it till tomorrow to decide!!

how are you doing and well done on losing your 5.5 stones and sure thats brilliant in 3.5 months, way above average!!!

Gen xx

Hi Gen,
Here's the thing - I've read some of your other posts / diary entries (and they're great, as a male dieter this whole site is an education in itself!) and I know you've had slip ups in the past - but.....this situation is different - it's an invitation, not a quick decision to grab a take-away, it's business, not a stress reaction, it's an opportunity to dine somewhere special, not a guilt-inducing beef in oyster sauce that ends up half eaten, and in the bin.
And I know people will think I'm encouraging you to eat, and i guess I am....but.....I know you are a clever, intelligent, and thoughtful person... and will see that this is not a binge blip but a planned interval - and that is different, so you will see how you handle an interval like this. And believe me, as someone who goes through this with alarming regularity, such intervals are much easier to cope with than binge blips.
It's for you to decide, of course, and whichever decision you make will be the right one - just promise me you'll post up the details of your visit to the hotel!

Reactions: Gen
Hi Gen,
Here's the thing - I've read some of your other posts / diary entries (and they're great, as a male dieter this whole site is an education in itself!) and I know you've had slip ups in the past - but.....this situation is different - it's an invitation, not a quick decision to grab a take-away, it's business, not a stress reaction, it's an opportunity to dine somewhere special, not a guilt-inducing beef in oyster sauce that ends up half eaten, and in the bin.
And I know people will think I'm encouraging you to eat, and i guess I am....but.....I know you are a clever, intelligent, and thoughtful person... and will see that this is not a binge blip but a planned interval - and that is different, so you will see how you handle an interval like this. And believe me, as someone who goes through this with alarming regularity, such intervals are much easier to cope with than binge blips.
It's for you to decide, of course, and whichever decision you make will be the right one - just promise me you'll post up the details of your visit to the hotel!

I see exactly what you are saying and if it was next week i probably would feel strong enough to take the 'planned break' cos i have already planned one for saturday week cos my family are having a reunion!!!

i haven't made a decision on what to do yet and will leave it till tomorrow BUT whatever the outcome i will most definitely post what i thought of the hotel!! i have been dying to get in there for a nose for years!!! what did you think of it when you were there?? did you stay there??

thank you also for your kind words in your mail :D :D :)

Gen xx

OOooooh the Clarence!! V nice Gen...often wondered what its like myself when I used to pass it every day lol. I think other people are right hun, go for tea/coffee instead...ye never know...maybe you might end up with another invite anyways! Enjoy!!

Gen, don't do it hun, you've struggled for so long now and it's gonna set you right back again... If you have the right frame of mind now DON'T lose it cos you know how long it can take to get it back!!

Your weight loss and happiness is more important than some poncey lunch !!!

Stay strong sweetheart!

The choice is your Gen, but I think your tea only strategy is the way to go. There will always be another opportunity to visit and dine in this place or any place similar.

At the end of the day it is only one meal, as somebody on a VLCD once said, I already know what food tastes like, I'll be having it again soon, on my terms.

Good luck in whatever you decide mate.

I'm green with envy Gen! I've always wanted to go to The Clarence .. and would be happy being there even with a cup of tea or a glass of water :)

Whatever you decide to do (and in your heart of hearts I think you've already decided ;) ), have a wonderful time and report back ASAP!!

Hi Gen
I would say just have a cup of tea and a good look around.
You have had a struggle and now that you are back on SS you donot want to spoil it for one meal.
It is up to you babe,but what ever you decide have a great time.
Looking forward to hearing all about it
{{{HUGS}}}

The Clarence eh eh!

Lovely Stuff.

Its tomorrow yeh? wonder what you have decided...

Is it a free lunch??? cos that place is mighty pricey! even for a cuppa tea.

Ivy

Well guys... today was the day and I went I had tea and no food, even tho i'm not sure what diet i'm on at the moment :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: i had emailed the girl yesterday telling her i wasn't going to eat and she was absolutely fine about it... apparently her friend lost loads of weight on a similar diet!!

anyway hotel is lovely, penthouse was in use but sure there is always the next time!! there is such a lovely atmosphere in it especially as it is a 5 star hotel!!!

and the best bit is the lunch invitation is open ended :D :D :D :D i told her i'd probably come down around xmas!!!

thanks to everyone who replied it really helped!!

love

Gen xx

Nice one Gen!!!
For what it's worth I think you made the right decision...

Back