I need an 80s costume, any ideas?!

Caz

Repeat Offender
It's my brother in laws 40th birthday party at the end of the month and the theme is the 80s. I'm really stuck for an idea though. To be honest I generally avoid fancy dress because of my size, makes it more difficult. And no costume means blending into the background more. But this time I want to get into it and really enjoy it. I should be a firm 20 all over by then as I'm pretty much that now. I say firm... not all that firm but you know what I mean!!

Any ideas?

hehe just thinking about the hairstyle I used to have in the eighties is making me cringe!! I guess pretty much fashions at the moment are very 80's geared, so bright colours, luminous socks and lots of plastic beads!! Although I have to say, any 80's clothing is unflattering IMO - I was more of a rock chick back then!! lol xxx

Hi CG -- When I think 80s I think big shoulder pads or leg warmers -- and, of course, the sky high fringe. Hummm. I'll have a think on this -- I still have some clothes from the 80s but they are UK size 8.

MM

go as one of the kids from fame!

high pony tail with a bright scrunchie, leggins with a pair of leg warmers over it and a pair of ballet type shoes and a baggy t shirt ( or a fitted vest with one of those short jumper things )

Good idea -- and the movie was just redone, so it's in people's minds. I almost rented the DVD today -- then decided to wait and see if I had time tomorrow to watch it.

MM

I just don't want to feel like a big fat lump though! And leggings do that to me! I'm going to head to town at some point this week I think and see what I can find.

I saw a Ghostbuster costume -- but it was expensive.

Last edited:
New romantic, duran duran, human league all blusher and cheekbones, crimped hair or 'adam ant' Prince Charming look .... ahh those were the days :)

I wanna be a ghostbuster!!!!!!!!!!

Katie's New Romantics suggestion was exactly my thoughts too! You could do Madonna in her early career, think Desperately Seeking Susan. As a student you don't want to be buying new stuff, so if you could borrow a blonde wig, lots of bangles, black fishnet tights, fingerless gloves etc x

I went to an 80's wekend in Skeggy a few months back and had no idea what to wear. All those lumo colours just didn't do it for me as a size 22 so I went Goth. Black t-shirt, black boots, black leggings with a little netting rara skirt (also black). Also had a long cloak which I borrowes off a friend. I dyed my hair black too and had lots of dark make-up. Looked pretty good actually and as Goth ran through the 80's. was perfect for me and my size.

Just an idea. I have got photos on my facebook if you want to add me as a friend to have a look

Charlie xx

I agree on the Gostbusters Idea -- you could have the playing as you come in... "da,da,da,da,da... who ya gonna call..." LOL

Back