I need opinions please!

hi there
just read through this thread and can't add anything really - the advice you have had already is great.

one thing i have found really helps is going to aldi for all my fresh stuff - i admit i was a bit of a snob about aldi, but it sooooo much cheaper than tesco for things - peppers 70p at tesco 35p at aldi.

they have 5 diff fruit and veg offers on each week so you can get variety and the quality is as good as tescos.

Arguing about money is the pits, hope you get it sorted
daisy x

I used Aldi quite a bit while I was at uni, espeically towards the end of each semester when money was, or already had, basically run out.

It's all pretty good if you ask me, like Daisy said it is miles cheaper and from what I remember, compared to when the chain first opened here the actual shops themselves have gotten a lot better (layout, presentation etc.)

Just have to remember that regardless of what the box it's in looks like, what is inside it is the same wether it is Captain Birdseye's Fishfingers or Aldi's "finger-style fish chunklettes" :p

They do charge about 4 or 5p per carrier bag though (at least the one I went to did) so take you own!!!

before I started on my veg box delivery I got my fruit and veg from Aldi and it was great! Most of the stuff from there is to be honest.

I used to be an avid Sainsbury's shopper..and even waitrose and M&S when I was being super indulgent so it was bit of a shock to go to Aldi. But the stuff is exaclty the same, if not better in some instances.

It makes sense if you can go. The same thing for cheaper. And you can spend what you save on your new wardrobe (defeats the purpose of saving I know!)

have you considered doing a huge shop once a mnoth fo all your tinned/dried & frozen -its often cheaper to buy in bulk then hust buy your fresh stuff each week as you need it. I used to do this when i was paid monthly and overall it was cheaper.

Nothing to add, just wishing you well BL.

Could you agree a mutually acceptable shopping list with OH and then send him to buy it? He might then appreciate what you're trying to do.

Obviously debts and a reduced income don't help, but they're not going to be drastically overcome by you living on a bag of apples!

Hi peeps.

The days winding up, and my OH got home from work a short while ago. We've both lay down our swords so to speak, and both said sorry.

I explained why I react to money the way I do - and he apologised - he didn;t really know about all the stuff with my ex, so he felt pretty bad afterward. ANd he did admit he was pushing too hard.

SO there is peace in the neighbourhood again. I really fetl blue all day about this.

But there was so much good advise here. I have looked into the veg delivery Rachel, and found a company down here that sounds really great. OH is onboard with that idea. So will really delve into that idea. I quite fancy the idea of not knowing what I will get week to week. THey do all sorts too. Fruit, veg, combos, meat, soups, jiuce, etc., nuts - all kinds of great stuff. Some looks pricey for sure - but others look extremely reasonable. SO I am kind of excited by this.

Thanks for that tip - I never everknew such a thing was possible and I have always wanted to buy organic but its too pricey in Sains, etc. So ace! Thanks a million peeps.

It was a down day. ANd you all lifted me.

Cheers for that. :)

XXX

LIDL

LIDL is nearer than Aldi for us and their produce is cheap. They have fab tomatoes. the big juicy beef ones you like, all year round, ripe and much cheaper than other places.
I've been going there for years. My snobby firends just think they've invented it!!!

Pleased to be of help BL. Enjoy your choice of fruit and veg! I find that being on a budget I make sure nothing ends up rotting for weeks in a bowl. Plus at this time of year if it's a boring veg week I'll make some lovely fresh soup (with turkey stock left over from christmas and frozen in batches) It's really filling and lasts at least 3 days.

There are great, healthy ways to get round having a tight budget. I've already made my list of which veg and salad things I'll be growing myself this spring and when to plant them. I grew loads of stuff last summer but couldn't eat any as was on the packs. My friends, OH and family had a plentiful supply of produce. Nothing more satisfying than going to the garden and picking your dinner!

I did a hanging basket with cherry tomatoes and it produced millions of the things for just £3.95...all summer long.

I know you can't do it right now and I'm not sure if you have the space but something to think about for a few months time xx

ps. I get my box from abelandcole.co.uk

Back