I still think about it..

Angela83

Silver Member
I still think about binge eating -alot. Last time was a couple of days before starting CD so almost 2 months ago now and I know that's a great achievement but will it always be like this for me?

I know that alot of head work has to be done alongside this diet to make real changes.
Has anyone out there used any form of counselling to help with this?

I havent but I need some too!!!!!!!!!!! any offers anyone else - I want to be like KD and have her attitude to food its fab xxx

Reactions: KD
Yeah KD has a great attitude. Your CDC is meant to be there to talk through these things with you. Well, that's what mine told me!

I've just done a silly thing and had an extra bar!!!!!!! I've never done that before but I've felt rubbish today and wanted something extra. What a wally!!!!! Drinking mint tea and extra water now. I know it's cause I'm so tired!!!!!! Damn it x

binge eating... it's a tough one to talk about isn't it. I think the key think is everytime you feel like binge eating is to take note of how you are actualy feeling....what is your trigger. I have been told that binge eating is often a result of anger. So it's working out why you are angry. Is it a rational thought and if so what constructively can you do to make yourself better.

I'm trying hard with this also and find it helps to write things down

I struggle with urges to binge eat too. Am doing a web based vlcd so have no consultant to off load too. I have bought a book based on cognitive behaviour therapy around weight loss. Have been following it for two weeks now and have def found it useful. 'The Beck Diet Solution - training your brain to think like a thin person'
I know that fo rme to be successful and keep the weight off I have to tackle my thoughts and so far this book is helping me to do that.

Vanda

I haven't had counselling specifically for food issues but have had some for other general issues and whilst it didn't give me an immediate solution to the problem it gave me insights to myself which I still think about today (counselling was about 3 years ago). My overeating is a self sabotage which also manifests itself in other areas of my life. The counselling I had didn't change my behaviour immediately but certainly made me aware of when and why (I think) I do it.

For me bingeing/ overeating is a deeper rooted problem than just food (CD proves this as we don't need the food) - so yes I think counselling can only help - as long as you are prepared for the questions (rather than answers) it throws up.

I will admit I thought of food every day sonce i started but I know I WON'T have any of it untill I reach my target, and then I will allow myself one indulging meal( which I probably won't enjoy at all but that might be a good thing),this is my first time trying this diet and I am sticking with it I feel I worked far too bloody hard in those last 6 days to spoil it. I dont feel hungry I know I am not hungry is just in my head that I still fancy the food!!! So I won't give in. I would say whenever you think about food make a concious decission to change the subject do your manicure, get a bowl of warm water have a soak push your cuticles then rub some nice moisturizing cream, just take yourself out of that frame of mind, it does work and the more you do it the easier it will become for you to read the signs and deal with them. :)

i quite agree with everything said above....I think the only way round the binge eating is to start to see food as fuel and not as an emotional cruex.
Training your brain to do this is probably the most difficult thing about the diet! I have stopped "choosing" the shakes/soups i have....i have them all in a box and i just grab whatever is there....this way, i dont give in to cravings and i mentally see it as "necessary" rather than "need"......

I wish i had all the answers to this one, but its a very personal situation. I'm getting to a stage where a new dress is going to be my "binge" rather than anything that goes in my mouth!

xxxx

Last saturday, the craving to binge arrived, dont know why wasnt an particular reason, i was shocked, got up and started looking in cupboards as to what if i could eat I would eat, if that makes sense. Anyway I thought about why couldnt figure it out at all, im hoping that when a get closer to goal, that the urge to stay slim will overcome the urge to binge, if not im buggered. I think that councelling would be a great help for most of us here, I do think that being around people on minmins has also helped, I do think you should seek help if you think you need too, it can only help you in the future, and certainly wont do any harm. Stay strong.

I've had 5 sessions with a counsellor (had a couple before starting CD, but after having decided to do it) and 3 since. I wanted to do it as I know how to lose weight and what the science behind keeping it off is, but wanted to find out why I don't do it.

I'm having a review session next week and then we'll see whether I continue. At this point, I think there's no question of not continuing as I think I've just really started to identify what the underlying issues are that make me hide behind food and from next week onwards, I need to start unpicking those.

My aim is that while I'm dealing with the physical side of things with the diet, I don't want to find myself in another 5 years having put back on what I've lost and getting into a vicious circle. So, uncomfortable and scary as it might be, I want to invest the time in me and put down firm foundations for not being in the position again. Or at least, if I do get into this position again, then at least I'll have done it consciously and knowing exactly why and how it happened! CD is great for giving you the body and brain space to be clearer about when there are emotional food cravings as opposed to real hunger and I've really found that useful.

I don't want to use counselling as an excuse to find some kind of childhood issue that causes me to overeat - I dont' go in for that kind of schmaltzy american viewpoint! lol However, I do think that a (reasonably) intelligent women like me should be able to beat this, and I think counselling is going to give me the best possible chance. And if it's down to a childhood issue, then I guess I'll deal with it! lol

I still think about binge eating -alot. Last time was a couple of days before starting CD so almost 2 months ago now and I know that's a great achievement but will it always be like this for me?

Not necessarily...depends whether you deal with it or not ;)

If you have true BED (Binge Eating Disorder), it's complicated. Firstly, 2 months is nothing. It can take many months, even years to sort out. Secondly, I don't think it's really possible to sort it out when you are dieting (whatever diet).

Oh and thirdly, thinking about it is no big deal. The problem is doing it ;) People beat themselves up, just for thinking. It's natural, normal and can even be a positive thing to do (but that's chapter 2 :D)

I suffered from BED for most of my life. I'm in my 50s now, so it was really embedded in my very being. I consider myself an ex-binger now. Let's say 'in remission' :D

Dieting isn't good for BED. I knew that when I started CD, but I also knew that I would never have the motivation to get it sorted until I had lost the weight and hopefully felt worth saving. Crooked thinking, but there ya go.

So, I knew I had to get to goal, and then must never diet again. It's very important to me, because BED is a side effect of dieting.

Anyway, getting back to you, you are thinking about it....that's fine. Relax with that. Don't put a time limit on it. It may well be uncomfortable to think about it, but accepting that you are allowed to think rather than fighting it, and if you can make that thought not equal the action, then you are one step forward to dealing with it.

Though I love CD. It probably saved my life, I think that ketosis can give you a false sense of security. I often hear people say that they have dealt with their issues when they are on SS.

Personally I don't think it's possible. SS gives you space, but the real work comes after the diet.

Having said that, it's very doable if you can be realistic and accept that it doesn't all mend in a moment. Takes time and effort, but a very positive journey.

I don't want to use counselling as an excuse to find some kind of childhood issue that causes me to overeat - I dont' go in for that kind of schmaltzy american viewpoint!

LOL. I'm a bit like that. Last thing I wanted to do was drag that all up again. Bad enough having to live through it...didn't need to relive it a 2nd time

I had to do it my own way.

Thanks all, your comments are greatly appreciated! I'm taking it one day at a time and I agree that the real test will be after reaching goal!

p.s- I doubt it was a 'true' BED or if it was going to be I've caught it in time.
xxx

Dieting isn't good for BED. I knew that when I started CD, but I also knew that I would never have the motivation to get it sorted until I had lost the weight and hopefully felt worth saving. Crooked thinking, but there ya go.

I am feeling exactly the same thoughts at the moment. It was a nasty split with my ex that caused me to gain so much weight. After being controlled for so long it is a 'im free' kind of reaction. I have always been 'big', but while with the ex i hit 7 and a half stone. At that point I felt worthy!

So, I knew I had to get to goal, and then must never diet again. It's very important to me, because BED is a side effect of dieting.

Thats exactly what I plan to do. I have stayed the same weight for the past few months despite what I have eaten and how much I have exercised. I know once I get to goal I will be able to stay there. For me i think the binge eating came from misery and realisation. I am never going to let life get to the point where I am facing that kind of misery again!

Though I love CD. It probably saved my life, I think that ketosis can give you a false sense of security. I often hear people say that they have dealt with their issues when they are on SS.

Personally I don't think it's possible. SS gives you space, but the real work comes after the diet.
QUOTE]

So true and my time on SS is the bit i class as the easy bit! Its easy to have it all done for you, not have to think about food ever and while in ketosis, its a doddle....the hard bit will be retraining my brain to accept food into my life, but on my terms....my new super skinny terms when the time comes!
I will never let food get the better of me again....its too expensive (time and money) to go through it for a third time!

I accept now that i "Want" to binge, but i also know i dont "NEED" to binge!

All about choices from here on in, but then i'm sure it always was...but mine were usually bad!

NO MORE!!

xxxx

I accept now that i "Want" to binge, but i also know i dont "NEED" to binge!

Absolutely. That was one of my big lightbulb moments. I assumed my 'wants' meant 'I had to have'

Personally, I didn't find it easy to sort out, but there again, I didn't exactly enjoy putting on weight and having to lose it again either :D

Looking back, it was definitely a good decision to get it sorted once and for all :D

No way will I ever put this weight back on unless I go down with some mysterious illness that causes it (not some mysterious illness that makes me eat more through comfort etc), because I love being 'here' way too much ;)

Back