i want to join a gym but im scared

UPDATE

did my first session today

45 mins on the treadmill this morning :)

looking forward to going again...i am even considering going again tonight for a swim

Hey Jo
mut be the week for it cos i joined a health club on monday too. I went for my induction yesterday & they do a 16 point health check in partnership with Bupa, just the computer was down so i couldn't get the analysis & print out so got to go back & do it all again next week :rolleyes:
we could be virtual gym buddies & keep each other motivated!!:D
xx:)

hi Pandora...yeh, lets be gym bunnies together

i am a total novice..so bear with me..

im going again tomorrow, for some crosstraining and a swim...

if i can get my arse out of bed early enough i will swim at 7.30..and the crosstrain after work about 5ish

hi Pandora...yeh, lets be gym bunnies together

i am a total novice..so bear with me..

im going again tomorrow, for some crosstraining and a swim...

if i can get my arse out of bed early enough i will swim at 7.30..and the crosstrain after work about 5ish

Hiya Jo:D

I am so impressed with your attitude about the gym!! You've set me off now...lol

How are you doing?

Lacey...xxx:)

hiya

ive been again tonight :O
i couldnt get my bum out of bed this morning, it was still dark and blowing a gale, so i thought bugger it,,i will go after work...and i did!

i went around 5pm. did 20 mins on the cross trainer...flippin heck that was hard, i dont like that too much, then 25 mins on the tread milll to make up my 45 mins, then 5 mins cooling down.

then...i got changed and went in the pool
i chilled in the jacuzzi for about 10 mins, then i did 10 lengths, then in the sauna, back in the jacuzzi, and then out.

i left the biulding at just gone 7pm...so i was there nearly 2 hours

ive surprised myself!

tomorrow im having a rest day, then i will go back on Sat AM

well i did have my rest day on Friday
and now im ready for another go.
taking hubby down as a guest today( free entry for him today)

im doing my treadmill again
hes says hes doing rower/treadmill
then we will go in the pool/jacuzzi/sauna etc

then.....i think i may pop back into town and see if theres much left over in the next sale...i wonder if they will be doiing any further reduction?

ohh...and i have to buy a small diary to keep in my gym bag, to log my activities in

DB, JUST DO IT!!! From an ex-exercise phobic who has been gyming it since June I can honestly say that if you persevere and give it a chance, work at your own pace and don't compare yourself to ANYONE you will get to enjoy it. It is my saving grace at the moment so I will heartily support and encourage you on this new endeavour! Good luck and well done for taking the plunge!

sounds like lots of people are giving this a go. I'm a member of my local JJB gym, and yesterday, my first day on Lighterlife, I went and swam 30 lengths of the pool. I feel a bit flabby yet to go in the gym, but soon I will be in there as often as I can!

hey DB, great going
i went for a swim b4 work on tues night & did 20 lenghts (not that long a pool) & then yesterday (fri) went after i had dropped the kids at school & did 10 mins on cross trainer, 1/2 hour walking on treadmill & swam 10 lenghts.
i know it doesn't sound alot but its years since i did any exersize & i'm well unfit. i felt good when i'd finished
cyber gym buddy xx:)

i know it doesn't sound alot

Stop that kind of talk right now! Anything that gets you moving is great, and in fact when you add it up it's about an hour of good solid cardio exercise, which *is* a lot. Be proud of it!

diddnt go to gym on Sunday. period started and i felt so crap. but i went today, just a quickie..45 mins on the treadmill, thats all i had time for between work and CD evening

will go tomorrow and spend a bit longer
probably cross trainer, rower and swimming

i am enjoying it..

today i thought this...
ive got to go... ive got to find time, or else i wont go at all, and then thats another day missed out. so i just got in the car and went.

dont know if its helping weight loss at the mo, cause its totm,and im retaining about 3-4 lbs. my belly is like a beach ball, i feel so bloated, and lethargic. last night i hardly slept at all, i was having hot and cold flushes..and the number of times i got our of bed for a wee was unbelievable!!

anyway...will keep updating on the gym diary

im gettin faster too, on the treadmill. ie: same time length, 45 mins but faster speed, more kms covered and burning more calories. the first tme i used 271 calories, today it was 384 calories...so i must be improving :)

hey Jo
good going girl, sometimes you have to say what the heck n just get on with it. i went to the gym yesterday & today & have to say i'm starting to enjoy it now, next week my trainer is goint to show me some resistance exersizes to give me some variety. i also found my MP3 player today & have downloaded some "pumpin tunes" to motivate me hehe
xx:)
your gym cyber buddy

hiya Pandora

i hit the gym again yesterday..found myself a lovely south african young hansome instructor ( neil) who was working with me, he was fab. he said he will help me. he noticed i was 'round backed' he asked what job i did, and i told him i do a lot of driving..he said he can help me strengthen my back and help to get rid of the roundness. he will help with improving my posture.

so i did 45 mins on the tread mill. 10 mins on the crosstrainer and 10 mins on the rower. last night was the firt night i had proper sweat running down my face. and my haor was wet at the neck.

usually i just get red and hot. so my body is learning to sweat. which will help me do excercise. before i used to burn so hot withoit sweating that i couldnt continue. now my body is producing sweat to help me cool, so i can excercise harder and longer.
stopped the SS. decided to have chicken/fish/veg in the evenings, and boiled eggin the mornings, with CD packs whilst im at work ( for convenience)
the amount of excercise im doing is going to biuld up, in the coming months/weeks so i need to get back into food again.

will go to the gym tonight after work.

so far so good....

LOVIN THE GYM !!

i go 5 times a week!

and on Tuesday i ran..yes RAN!!!

i ran for the whole length of the 2 songs, born slippy and firestarter! great music to run to..i get my feet pounding to the bass

i diddnt go yesterday i just diddnt have the time, and i really missed it..im becoming addicted to sweat!

I joined a gym when I got to goal. I had been a member of another one, but got bored.

I like this one though. It has fitlinx system which records everything you do, sends me fancy emails which tell me how many elephants I've lifted in total:D It also ranks me against other ladies my age that attend (no names mentioned). Bit like playing in the arcade really :D

I also like the fact that I can always book an appointment with my gym instructor to have my challenges changed. Just got to press the appropriate button on the machine. There's also a reward system when you've earned so many points. All very motivational.
But....I still wouldn't do it if there wasn't a TV to watch whilst I'm there. I get bored so quickly, but find time flies on the xtrainer/dreadmill etc if I'm watching a good programme. Neither would I do it if I didn't have these challenges that I try to meet.

I agree with Kate though, if you don't like it, there's so many other things you could do instead.

BTW...about watching TV whilst you there...I often think how great it would be if we had to earn home TV time by treadmilling the power to make it work :D Not sure how I would like that after a hard day at work though. Fab idea for kids though eh?

Have you been talking to my H. He claims to have invented the concept of the wind up TV-now I know he nicked it from you. he says "Curb global warming & get the children off their bottoms at the same time"

I hate the tv in the gym-it's always tuned to either popmusic with videos of naked young women in simulated sex dances or skinny american women selling the latest miracle exercise machine that will turn you into an olympian over night.
I take my mp3 or minidisc player & listen to talking books.things like Dick francis are good. For music if I need a boost I use Queen best hits.

Good going Jo - it's fun isn't it? ;)

Back