Ice cream makers, anyone make their own yoghurt ice cream?

Now that I have started to make my own yoghurt http://www.minimins.com/dukan-recipes/233104-easy-homemade-yoghurt-slow-cooker.html I suddenly realised I could make quite a bit of inexpensive yoghurt ice cream.

Do any other members make their own and can anyone rec a cheap ice cream maker please?

I found this at John Lewis which looks like a Cuisinart Ice-20 model which looks quite good.

Buy John Lewis ICE20JLU Ice Cream Maker online at JohnLewis.com

Anyone also got any tips regarding making Dukan friendly ice cream or yoghurt.

Ta!

I make my own yogurt icecream, though I do it the old fashion way by just putting it in a tub in the freezer and stirring it once in a while. One tip though is when making ice-cream is to make it slightly sweeter than you actually want it. Freezing it in yogurt seems to dull it a bit sometimes.

Yay for a Staffs girl though, am from Leek myself, though now living in Macc

I make my own yogurt icecream, though I do it the old fashion way by just putting it in a tub in the freezer and stirring it once in a while. One tip though is when making ice-cream is to make it slightly sweeter than you actually want it. Freezing it in yogurt seems to dull it a bit sometimes.

Yay for a Staffs girl though, am from Leek myself, though now living in Macc

Yep, I had seen that people make it the old way but I didn't want the faff of keep taking it out and stirring it every so often. Plus the machine made ones are supposed to be a better consistency.

Now my daughter is a true Staffordian, born in Stafford. Me? Lancastrian by birth although lost a lot of the accent after being away for nearly 30 years.

;)

I make Fro-gurt about 3 or 4 times a week, using the cheapest most basic machine, a NUO, which was only £16 from Robert Dyas.

I just chuck in half a tub of total zero greek and a tub of mullerlite (shhhh - don't tell anyone) and switch it on. 10 minutes later - icecream!

For flavouring I have used rose, real coffee, fresh chopped mint, nutmeg, ground ginger, lemon grass and basil, lemon and lime juice, lime with a few chili flakes, cocoa with chili flakes....

Not all were brilliant, but all were yummy

I just chuck in half a tub of total zero greek and a tub of mullerlite (shhhh - don't tell anyone) and switch it on. 10 minutes later - icecream!/QUOTE]

When you say half a tub, is that a 450g one or the smaller size.

I have never made ice cream before, I assume the amount most increase a lot in size as it is being frozen.

I will use some of my homemade greek yog, that will be virtually fat free.

Last edited:
I have been experimenting lately and these are my findings so far

Total yogurt = too thick needs to be thinned with other additions (under breath, muller:eek:!!!)
Skimmed milk = gives a sorbet/icy texture
Natural yogurt = results in a lovely soft serve. The best so far!
Rhubarb/meringue pieces/sf jelly are best stirred in after.
If plain, add more sweetener than you'd think.

....add a comfy sofa, a good movie and don't delude yourself that any will be leftover! :)Xx enjoy!:icecream:

Hey!

Just bought myself the ice cream maker I was going to buy from John Lewis at £39.99 for £19.99 on ebay, free collection.

It's a company selling new and returned stock including John Lewis items.

Just rang and she says it is in excellent condition, just no box.

Fingers crossed it was only returned because the model is quite noisey.

I won't be using it during the night so that won't bother me!

Will collect tomorrow, stick in the fridge and have a go at making some yog ice cream on thursday, can't wait.

Now to google some dukanish recipes.

:D

OMG!

I bought an Onken Mango, Papaya and Passion Fruit yoghurt earlier as it was reduced to 35p.

I'm having today as a gala day so decided to freeze it as I have never tried frozen yoghurt before.

Anyway, I stuck it in the freezer and kept taking it out every half an hour or so to give it a mix.

Just had a couple of scoops and it was bloomin' lovely!

Can't wait to get my ice cream maker tomorrow and have a go with a Toffee Muller Lite.

Can anyone rec any other nice yogs to freeze?

Ta.

I always eat my yoghurt frozen - couldn't cope without a sweet crunchy icy treat :D

I'll be interested to read how you get on with the proper ice cream maker!

I always eat my yoghurt frozen - couldn't cope without a sweet crunchy icy treat :D

I'll be interested to read how you get on with the proper ice cream maker!

I have read that if you leave frozen yoghurt in the fridge overnight it makes it hard as a rock.

Do I take it you just freeze in small batches and leave to thaw slightly before eating or just make small batches that you can eat almost straight away?

I think I need to leave the ice cream maker tub in the fridge for 48 hours before first use, maybe 24, I shall see how it goes.

Will let you know how I get on.

;)

I always eat mine straight away - I prefer it slightly soft as it reminds me of gelato, and the process is so quick that there is no advantage to storing it (even if I could keep my mitts off it!)

I just wish I had 2 bowls in the freezer (I usually can't wash the bowl until the morning, when it has thawed, and then I have to leave it 24 hours to refreeze, so can only make frogurt every 48 hours (Oh the hardship!)

I just

I also sometimes eat it with the dukan crunchy oatbran ginger biscuits - which satisfies my crunchy waffle cone fetish!

I also sometimes eat it with the dukan crunchy oatbran ginger biscuits - which satisfies my crunchy waffle cone fetish!

I haven't seen those, will have to go and have a search for that one.

Ta!

;)

By the way, went to collect my ice cream maker, just about to wash it before putting it in the freezer.

I have been reading reviews on the USA Amazon site as I think this is a rebranded Cuisinart ICE-20 and there are just short of 1,200 reviews of it on there so must be popular!

I just chuck in half a tub of total zero greek and a tub of mullerlite (shhhh - don't tell anyone) and switch it on. 10 minutes later - icecream!

When you say half a tub of Total, is that the small size Atropos or half of the 500g tub?

Is that all that you put in then when using a Muller Lite, the muller and half of plain greek, nothing else?

When you say half a tub of Total, is that the small size Atropos or half of the 500g tub?

Is that all that you put in then when using a Muller Lite, the muller and half of plain greek, nothing else?

That's it - half a 500g tub + one muller lite.

I might eat at as is, or add flavouring - the coffee, nutmeg, ginger etc work well with the toffee muller, and the vanilla muller is a good base for rose, lime, etc.

Both of them are good with mint!

Do I take it you just freeze in small batches and leave to thaw slightly before eating or just make small batches that you can eat almost straight away?

Yep, I've got a few reused muller pots that I pour plain yoghurt in to freeze. I usually make pots with a few different flavour combinations at a time.

I find if I take one out the freezer when I start preparing my main meal it has started to melt around the edges by the time I come to eat it - letting you get a spoon in.

Lovely :D

Back