Ideas for free lunches??? sick of soup!!!!!

Raw mince, yuk makes me feel sick just thinking about that!

From the Food Standards Agency

Q. I've heard that reheating rice can cause food poisoning. Is this true?

A. It's true that you could get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. But it's not actually the reheating that's the problem – it's the way the rice has been stored before reheating.
Uncooked rice can contain spores of bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will multiply and may produce poisons that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these poisons.
So, the longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that poisons produced could stop the rice being safe to eat.
It's best to serve rice when it has just been cooked. If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) and keep it in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating.

Circes said:
From the Food Standards Agency

Q. I've heard that reheating rice can cause food poisoning. Is this true?

A. It's true that you could get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. But it's not actually the reheating that's the problem - it's the way the rice has been stored before reheating.
Uncooked rice can contain spores of bacteria that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive. Then, if the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores will multiply and may produce poisons that cause vomiting or diarrhoea. Reheating the rice won't get rid of these poisons.
So, the longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that poisons produced could stop the rice being safe to eat.
It's best to serve rice when it has just been cooked. If that isn't possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) and keep it in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating.

Omg I had NO idea! Always reheat rice & often have it in fridge for 2-3 days!

Raw mince, yuk makes me feel sick just thinking about that!
Which is what a person would react to (the thought). It's not the fact that it's raw, if it's fresh it's fine, but our minds tell our stomachs that it's not nice and we urge.

I eat reheated rice that's been in the fridge for 2-3 days and I have no qualms in giving my children re-heated rice. As long as it's been cooled quickly, covered and then put in the fridge asap it's no worse than anything else.

When rice becomes a risk is when it's been left out warm in the open. It's very sensitive to a certain bacteria that isn't completely destroyed in the cooking process. Leaving it warm out on the side will encourage the bacteria to multiply at quite a fast rate. Cooling quickly reduces multiplication of the bacteria.

Erm... there endeth the lesson. Sorry :ashamed0005:

As stated above the risk is when the rice is left around at room temperature - so if you're going to have it reheated for lunch the next day do NOT leave it lying around in a lunchbox in your bag/on your desk/whatever, keep it in the fridge until you want to eat it.

I often have salad with a bit of a mix. Instead of lettuce i use baby spinach, spring onions, red pepper, cucumber, cherry tomatos, beetroot, raddish and a boiled egg. If i'm feeling very hungry i will mix up some cous cous to bulk it out a bit more....the spinach also helps me feel fuller as opposed to lettuce

Try using light salad cream instead of low fat mayo, its 1.5 syns per tablespoon (i think)! But tastes just like salad cream!!!

Homemade hummus and veg sticks? Maybe a wholemeal pitta if you have a HEXB?

I drain a tin chickpeas and then blend with garlic, lemon juice, harissa and 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp tahini - this makes three huge portions for only 3.5 syns each and it's gorgeous with superfree veg dipped in.

Back