Ideas for lunch at work

Say

Hey, I work 11 hour shifts at a gaming company. The vending machines are full of chocolate and sweets :( I only ever tend to venture into the break rooms for a cup of tea or to eat dinner.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what I could make to take in. I have a slow cooker at home - so am happy to make extra for the next day. My only concern is I want to be nicely full because I don't want to pick. I start at 10am, lunch time is 3pm/3:30pm for an hour and I finish at 9pm.

Would mainly be for EE/Green Days. I don't tend to do Red! Any ideas you have would be awesome. I have access to a micromave and a kettle in work.

I make pasta with tuna and bung it in the microwave for a min and that fills me up !! Also i cook chicken and have it in a pitta, make a pasta salad umm anything filling ! Also mug shot cuppa soup thingys they low fat and yummy !! x

I make pasta with tuna and bung it in the microwave for a min and that fills me up !! Also i cook chicken and have it in a pitta, make a pasta salad umm anything filling ! Also mug shot cuppa soup thingys they low fat and yummy !! x

Ooh pasta and tuna, I'll have to try it out! Unfortunately, I can't get hold of mug shots unless I get the bus out of Cork to Mahon Point which is a royal pain to lug shopping about. We're off there tomorrow to see a film - will see if I can nab some! (when I say 'nab' I do mean purchase :p)

Yes i do love tuna pasta i put sweetcorn in aswell its such a tasty lunch ! Ohh unlucky, Ohh yes i hope you will be paying for those mug shots haha !! x

Mini frittata, mini quiche and things like falafel are good lunch time foods, they tend to travel pretty well. Otherwise I'd recommend things like rice, pasta and bean salads. Or maybe bolognese or chilli that you could heat up in the microwave?

Byrianis are really easy in slow cooker and totally yummy and filling!

Best most filling and tasty slow cooker meal ever

1 pack skinless halal chicken thighs from Asda (£2.49)
2 peeled potatoes cut into quarters
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped into large chunks
Quarter of a large swede, peeled and chopped into large chunks
1 large white onion, chopped
2 tablespoons dried tarragon
2 handfuls pearl barley
2 crushed garlic cloves
3 bay leaves
3 chicken oxo

Put the ingredients in the slow cooker, crumble OXO on top, cover with boiling water, turn slow cooker on, bugger off for the day.

Makes 4 HUGE portions (based on there being 8 thighs in the pack)
Or 8 small portions.

Will keep in the fridge for 3 days.

Last edited:
what about some savory rice with extra veg added and some chopped chicken mixed through.. thats very filling. and chop up some fruit and put it in lunch box.

Best most filling and tasty slow cooker meal ever

1 pack skinless halal chicken thighs from Asda (£2.49)
2 peeled potatoes cut into quarters
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped into large chunks
Quarter of a large swede, peeled and chopped into large chunks
1 large white onion, chopped
2 tablespoons dried tarragon
2 handfuls pearl barley
3 bay leaves
3 chicken oxo

Put the ingredients in the slow cooker, crumble OXO on top, cover with boiling water, turn slow cooker on, bugger off for the day.

Makes 4 HUGE portions (based on there being 8 thighs in the pack)
Or 8 small portions.

Will keep in the fridge for 3 days.

Ohh wow! Thank you - reckon 11 hours on low would do it?? That'll be work for the week then! :D

11 hrs on low would be smashing. Add water so it's a good centimetre above the ingredients, the pearl barley will drink it up and make the stew thicken, no need for cornflour or anything.

You may find if you don't have a massive slow cooker you'll need to do it in two batches due to all the veggies and remember pearl barley swells to four times it's size when dry.

If you want to be extra angelic and make it less carby - more swede less tater.

Hope you enjoy! :D

Thank you very much! I'll certainly be trying this one out (also a reader of your blog)

Back