If at first you don't succeed....and all that

Fab news about the winter coat and down into the next stones, well done x

That's brilliant IAF. Ritual burning lol, how good will that feel :D xx

Well done on getting into the 17s and on getting into your winter coat. I couldn't get into my winter coat either last year (can now) and spent the whole winter walking around with it flapping open, pretending to be hot if anyone asked and blaming the menopause. Sure I wasn't fooling anyone really.
Oh god I am glas I wasn't alone last winter! I couldn't even let mine flap open as it was too tight on the arms too lol! x

Yay! I love NSVs!! :)
I suppose at the end of the day the number on the scale is just indicative but it also reflects water weight etc but a good old NSV is also great evidence you are going in the right direction :) x

Fab news about the winter coat and down into the next stones, well done x
Cheers CP x

That's brilliant IAF. Ritual burning lol, how good will that feel :D xx
It would have been brill Susie but my conscience took hold and I just posted it in the cancer research charity doodah along with a load of the children's clothes they have grown out of. There is a lovely space on the coat rack now waiting for me to fetch my nice coat out and hang there :)

Don't know what is up with me today, feel a bit low - could possibly be tiredness, dh was away last night - he has to stay away a night a week as he works for a company a 3 hour drive away! I never sleep brilliantly when he isn't here I don't know why, in my single days it wasn't an issue! possibly because I lived in a really secure flat then. The house we live in is a traditional 30's bay fronted property and although secure if someone got in the back they'd be well hidden from view if they wanted to break in. I'm a bit OCD about checking locks and windows before bed and I think that makes me even worse as it makes me feel anxious as I go and check doors - then back to check them again - and again lol.I think I sleep with my ears on stalks too and that means dd2 having a shout and a moan in her sleep woke me early today even though she stayed asleep!

So another reasoin for the down mood is that I'd really hoped for a pound off this morning to start making further inroads down the 17's and I sts for a third day which means nothing I know but losses have been slowish lately and I'm hoping for a little whoosh every time I get on the scale. I know I said I wouldn't compare last time's results with this and I haven't for weeks, but I had a quick look yesterday and I am 6lbs behind where I was last time. I have to do some CBT on myself and stop letting my internal thoughts control my mood. At the end of the day last time I stayed 100% abstinent for 9 whole months and this time I have had the occasional wine and no carb food so I need to get a grip of myself as I chose to do it this way this time, and I told myself it might take a bit longer, I have just got to suck it up a bit.

So that's me for today I am off now to have a word with myself :) x

God yes Kylie! I succumbed to a piece of tuna cheese quesadilla that I made for the girl's tea grrrr. Could be worse I suppose, I wonder if it's the weather changing that is making me so 'wanty'....

Lol, maybe, naff weather = oh well I'll get my big baggy cover up clothes out again... Never!! In fact, I'm just having a break from throwing out more said baggy clothes / crying over the small ones I can't get into - I was once a size 10, really???

We will do this :)

Ps mmmmmm to anything Mexican!!!

Its probably tiredness IAF and the fact that its never as smooth going as the 1st time around but we live and learn.

You'll get a bigger loss soon and although its taking longer you are learning to control your eating a bit better with hopefully long lasting results. It would be interesting to know how many people manage to keep the weight of successfully after the first attempt at VLCD. X

It would be interesting to know how many people manage to keep the weight of successfully after the first attempt at VLCD. X

Good point that Susie - I think the first time you do it it can lull you into a false sense of security as it seems so easy relatively speaking - and you think wow I could have done this years ago, and you think you won't ever go back to putting on weight again. I really really think it happens too fast to really address all the issues you need to and understand really properly how to keep it off long term. I also think it has a major effect on your metabolism and also as we all know, fat cells don't go away, they just shrink (unless you have them removed with surgery of course!) so they are all sitting there just willing you to fill them up again! All these factors really set us up to fail and regain over time. I think all these things need addressing - I don't think you can ever eat like a 'normal slim person' once you have got to goal - I think you have to adapt to new ways of eating to counteract the above.

Oh and blah. still no movement on the scales - I'll not let it set me off track though as I haven't any better ideas about how to get slim and I just know if I stick through the rough times the good times will hopefully follow x

I'll see you over there at some point in the future Kylie ;) x

I have given myself an avatar :) I came across it the other day when I was reading a blog by a woman who consults for small creative businesses and it really rang true as I often find my heart sinking if I look at other illustrators' and designers' work as I think wow they are so good, I wish I had created that, I'm rubbish :( So I avoid looking so I don't feel like giving up lol. But it just occurred to me that it applies in losing weight too - look at me the other day feeling down because I was comparing my losses to last time round and found myself falling short. So I'm going to keep it as my avatar for a while to remind me to stop bl00dy comparing myself all the time!!!

Love it!! It is so true. We compare our losses to those of others or compare how well we're doing this time compared to last time. It's all totally futile, especially when we don't 'measure up' in our own eyes. Best just not to do it to ourselves.

Last edited:
I love your avatar, it is very true!

Dont worry about the sts's as your body can do that for days and then just drop pounds - brilliant re your coat, that's a sign that what you are doing is right :) x

No point comparing is there. Each time is different so the time to concentrate on is today.

Have a good day IAF XX

Cheers all
Finally a downward shift this morning with a pound off after 4 days sts. Made me feel a bit better and I also reminded myself that I have only been doing this for six and a half weeks so a pound short of 2 and a half stone lost in total is fab. Might even be noticeable by the time school's go back in September - not that I want people to notice and comment, I have an odd thing about it. My weight has always been a very personal thing and I don't like to demerit the person I was when I was bigger as that person is still me and I feel like by people commenting on me having lost weight it sort of means they noticed when I was bigger and perhaps judged me for it - if that makes sense?!

I It would be interesting to know how many people manage to keep the weight of successfully after the first attempt at VLCD. X

You know, I've been thinking this. I've been hovering around the same weight for a couple of weeks now and it's been a real eye-opener in terms of how many calories I actually need. Slightly depressing actually.

And yes IAF - when will I learn others are a terrible, terrible yardstick??

I think for me people kept commenting on my weight, asking if I had lost any and I was piling it on at the time. It left me feeling terribly awkward and a bit humiliated. Perhaps that's because I can't take a compliment - I wonder if it were someone with more self-confidence they'd have just accepted it and moved on, even if they were having a fat day. :hmm:

Fed up, tired, toddler been hard work this morning - lots of out of character tears (her not me lol!) Think culprit is a bottom eyetooth. Had to try and hold a conversation with another child's mum for an hour who's daughter had come to play with dd1 this afternoon while dd2 went into melt down. I felt like screaming myself!
Then sat down to do some work and opened letter from DVLA to see they want £180 road tax for my car, and then opened a house insurance renewal letter, so I put them with the car insurance renewal letter for both our cars and the RAC recovery renewal letter that came yesterday along with the letter reminding me I need to get my car MOT'd. No wonder I'm cheery lol.
Be glad when this evening comes, got to get an afternoon with an emotional toddler, older daughters' playdate, the driving home of playdate child, the collecting of another child and the ferrying to and from a swimming lesson over then I'm home dry lol.

Early night as I am pooped AND feeling very weak self control -wise. Feel hungry and have a real urge to eat so am taking myself out of harms way! Tonight was the first time in almost 7 weeks that I really, really craved a few glasses of wine and my favourite salt and chilli chicken with rice and curry sauce from the Chinese. I think I need to take real care over the next week or so not to get disheartened by slow losses and get tempted by old favourites. Night night all hope everyone has a good weekend xx

Good decision. You'll feel so much better in the morning. Sweet dreams. x

Back