IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, try try try again and again (and again...)

Have a good break!

Last year, a lady in my little village asked me to sign a petition concerning the speed at which some cars whizz through. Many foreigners probably don't know, but the mere sight of a place name announcing a village/town, means 50kph even without a sign. The aim was to have a 40kph sign put up.

I signed with pleasure, as did another 20 odd residents (of the 100 odd community), as there are a lot of stray cats who've been hit (I don't let mine out - they don't know their green cross code!).

Unfortunately, instead of giving her petition to the mayor, she sent it to the regional police department who interpreted more that SPEEDING was going on in our area, and the local cops were obviously hauled over the coals about it because it resulted in their parking up in hidden places to terrorise residents! An elderly farmer got a ticket for crossing the road in his tractor without his warning light on. Some kids were warned about their bike lights as day was falling. We were stopped for a routine check, as were many others. So those who signed the petition were very popular for the six month odd period the police picked on us all!

Soooo off to "paradise" tonight - we have an appointment tomorrow to put winter tyres on, given last year's temperatures and the fact that the house is in a COLD area of France. Typically, it's now very mild and so it's all a bit too early...

I shall continue my hour route march each day. I shall have one proper PP day. I shall try not to return the size of a tank.

Yesterday I lunched with a colleague at a Chinese restaurant. I chose (for me) the better options. For starter, ignoring my usual "nems" on the menu, I chose steamed prawn raviolis. For main, ignoring my favourite caramelised pork, I chose chicken with ginger with plain noodles, and let my friend drink all the wine. I gained no weight from yesterday. I must reread this paragraph often.

It's now been quite a few weeks off pure low carb, and the excessive yoyoing is settling. Admittedly at a weight higher than I would like but what's the alternative. Reduce again with Dukan, only to put it straight back on? Is this inevitable when below "true weight"? Who knows. Meanwhile I plod on... (well I power walk actually!!)

x

Oh dear! Is that all the action you got?

The Daily Mail article is really interesting and helped explain to me why I have had problems with other diets and get on relatively well with Dukan. But I go through stages where I really can't stick to anything, like the last three weeks. I've managed to keep the weight stable though by doing two PP days per week, but now must return to Dukan.

Thanks, Jo, you regularly find interesting stuff for us as do Anja and Atropos.

Oh I'm sorry Laura - I now how upsetting that is! Hopefully the new kittens will help! There is nothing like having a little kitten curled up on your lap! I must admit to preferring boys too; my boys have always been more affectionate. My cats are miffed because I am getting them in so early now with the dark evenings - I prefer to have them in when it's dark to reduce the risk of any more accidents for us.

Back! I won't bore you all with the usual return from holiday excuses from me, but all is planned for a return to "normality" from this morning! Just a four day week for me as Friday is a holiday so back to the house for the 11th "celebrations". (Small ceremony at the village monument to the war dead, then drinks at the town hall, then 35 of us are off to a restaurant - fixed menu hence no return to Dukan "proper" today.)

I enjoyed my time off and did manage to forget the office most of the time. I'll be doing my own job now for a few weeks, if I can remember what that entails. Two of my people I've not seen for a fortnight so I'm sure they'll have been piling up routine rubbish for me :)

Off to walk to work - it's (ahem) been a while since I walked fast anywhere!

Off to walk to work - it's (ahem) been a while since I walked fast anywhere!

I walk 5 miles every day, all at the speed of my slow but steady three year old - I'm sure snail speed walking doesn't do me any good!

Gosh amazing that your three year old's little legs are up to 5 miles at any speed!

I do walk to work each day (between 4.5 and 6.5km, depending on the route I take) but, on "holiday", I tend to forget what legs are for!

It's drizzly this morning which is a pain... to walk or not to walk, that is the question...

Welcome back, Jo. Hope work's not too busy.

Thought I'd mess up your diary with my kitten news. Two male kittens reserved (GUNTER and GOOGLE - not my choice:rolleyes:) and hopefully will have them just after Christmas (as we're away so don't want them before!)

Kitten news is great... :)

Are you off to the UK? Flying? When?

I've had a good three days, and today will be fine too, but off to the house tonight for the three day weekend. Tomorrow, November 11, is a holiday here (WWI), and 1/2 the village will meet at the monument to the war dead in front of the church for a short memorial service. Then drinks and nibbles in the Mairie. Then 35 of us are going for lunch (by a lake in the middle of nowhere). Fixed menu and I haven't a clue what it consists of.

Work is far better, doing my own job only(!), but it's been a stressful few days as my (soon to be 98 year old) Nana is finally going to have to go into a home. We found her a nice one with a place for her from mid-Nov (in a new annex building) but, unfortunately, they've had building delays and the place she currently resides in (a Mccarthy Stone place) doesn't want her there any more so we've found something temporary. My father returns from holiday tonight so will be faced with a fait accompli and he merely has to sign on the dotted line - it'll be easier psychologically for him to accept I know. Tough all round really...
x

Husband working tomorrow, so debating whether to take the kids to memorial (eldest wants to go to the next village on his bike with pals to the memorial there - not happening!) but no longer have a restaurant, so we aren't invited for a hot chocolate (or stronger) afterwards.

Not going to UK, down to see my brother in South West. Was back in homeland last month though (on my own!) and we'll try and go back next year as a family.

I'm sorry to read the news about your Nana's necessary move:(. I hope she settles in well and that your Dad copes OK too. Just as well work is quieter as you have enough going on elsewhere and hope your 3-day break will give you a rest.

Hi, wanted to say thanks for explaining somewhere on here about the French origins being Stabilising Weight rather than True Weight, this has really helped me come to terms with what mine is:D

Thank you CD... It's taken me a long time to accept mine, and I'm not fully there yet! I try to dissuade people from doing as I did (going way below - cos it's true that in Cruise it's very easy to do so - and then regaining fast in Conso).

I'm still feeling (and looking!) hefty and, although I do just fine weekdays (not Dukan pure - but close without ketosis), inevitably things creep in at the weekends and I don't seem to find the strength/willpower/motivation/whatever to refuse. Friday I'm invited to a posh Chinese restaurant for lunch by an ex-boss. I'll do my best but why did I accept Chinese? (cos at the moment I'm rebelling I think at having to always refuse invitations, living on the edge of a normal social life permanently).

I'm fine though otherwise; My nearly 98 year old Nana is now in a home, so we can stop worrying and feeling guilty about that.

I'm seeing Mouse on Christmas Eve :) and am looking forward to that already! Maybe she'll be able to talk some diet sense in me to return to the fold properly in January :)

Thinking of you, i know how awful it can feel when family can no longer care for themselves in their own home. X

Re keeping the weight off, I expect it is something we will all battle with to try and maintain the weight we have lost. Just remember how far you have come and how long you have Managed to keep it off! I really hope I can do as well as you!

I am trying my very best to follow your advice. I'm 3lbs from my true weight and, as you said I also feel very hefty. I've lost well from my upper body and now can fit 12's but my bottom half..... I just look huge still! I'm thinking of following the c25k programme to try and tone up.

What are your thoughts on losing a few extra lbs while in conso? not actively trying, but if they just keep coming off? Is that better than doing cruise for longer to try and lose more? (not something i am planning, cant wait for conso!!) I really do have at least 7 extra lbs on my hips/thighs and bottom ;) it's funny, if we could be transported back into our old bodies for a day, we would probably appreciate our new ones so much more!

Hope all ok there x

I really am great at advising in attack and Cruise (my modesty hat has fallen off!), but I'm useless at Conso. I often read people saying that "some lose weight on Conso", and my fingers itch to say that "some gain weight on Conso". I know of both cases so I think, once one's body is no longer losing in Cruise, it's unlikely that it will in Conso in reality unless one changes something dramatically like adding in extra exercise. Dieting in Conso isn't a good option either. Been there, done it.

Ha, love the thought of a modesty hat that just sometimes, accidentally, falls off!!
The difficult thing is that life is happening all around us, with its chinese meals and mince pies made by a loving Mum, its croissants and newspapers in bed on a Sunday with a loved one, etc. However firm we are in our wish to keep our weight off - which is highly laudable - we should also live life. Hard to balance at times - if that makes sense? Anyway I'm waffling...

It actually sounds as if you've been to stay with me ;) The only thing I'm missing is anything prepared by a loving Mum (mine died 14 years ago) but I do make a point of baking everything she used to for Christmas and I was actually thinking about that yesterday - realising that shop bought stuff wouldn't be nearly as tempting so perhaps this year, as it's me and my OH's turn in the kitchen on 25/12, if I simply bought the traditional sweet Christmas fayre for the other days rather than baking up an unresistable storm. (Less work for me too!!). I'm liking this idea more and more - I'm not keen on shop bought mince pies, xmas cake etc so :)

Yesterday morning on my walk, I deliberately passed by the Chinese restaurant where I'm eating at lunchtime (with an ex-boss/friend). It won't be Cruise friendly by any means, but I quickly spotted the lower calorie options on the fixed lunch menu. All I need to do now is order them!

1K off this week which is encouraging. I'm now unfortunately size 13 so nothing looks right at all. My larger jeans look dreadfully baggy but I wouldn't be able to bear sitting down all day in any of my others! Oh well, it's jeans day at work so I'll try a new trend of baggy jeans synched in at the waist with a nice belt :)

I always say that I lost 11 stone thanks to Marks & Spencer closing here 10 years ago. Next week, they reopen. Ho hum! ;)

Happy weekend to all. I aim to keep very busy - and to get out and stomp in those fields each day for an hour (and get some Xmas pressie wrapping done!)

The baggy jeans synched in at the waist look is in at the moment ;-) well it is here after an unfortunate incident I had out in the fields yesterday while doing the fence both hands were full walked to next fence post and bam jeans were round my ankles :( lol good job we are remote and noone was driving along the road next to the field hehe

Have a great weekend x

I'm between sizes too, Jo. I have a pair of size 10 jeans that fit well everywhere but are tight round the waist, but 12s are baggy. Wish they did odd sizes.

Am with you on Christmas cooking-a-thon, but am at my brother's, so I'll eat whatever, offer whatever help I can and not even try and redo the Christmas baking (apart from the cake, but it will look as if it were decorated by my youngest whereas even with arthritic hands, my Mum's were always masterpieces:D). Hijack, sorry!

Back