IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, try try try again and again (and again...)

Thank you, and yes... I'm already looking into how I will tweak things next week. I'm starting with the same base foods as usual (my menus aren't very varied!), and will add salad or veg really! I am looking forward to Saturday, and seeing my friends again, and I will have whatever everyone else is having. That I have promised myself. It's amazing to think that I've been totally Dukan "clean" since Jan 2...
Last night, I had my annual gynae appointment, and she told me my weight was stable! haaaaaaa! I had to tell her! She seemed to think it "normal" that someone who's lost as much weight as I have regains so much so quickly once overeating. hmm!
She has suggested I stop taking the pill to see whether I'm in menopause. You'll all laugh but that's been on my mind a lot since she said it. Surely I'm not of an age for the menopause? Have I really got that old without realising? It's funny but, again because of my huge weight loss, I feel so much younger now than I did in my teens, 20s or 30s, that I just didn't see that one creeping up! I even said something dumb about "not needing it for contraception any more" (as if falling pregnant would be that likely at nearly 49...!). I negotiated to stop it for two months to see later in the year!
Meanwhile, mammogramme (yearly) and ovarian scan (every other year) to do. We're lucky in France to have such a good service. OK it's expensive, but health insurance reimburses.
OH gained 3K something on his 2 week break from Dukan, and has lost almost half that in 2 days. MEN!

Last night, I had my annual gynae appointment,
She has suggested I stop taking the pill to see whether I'm in menopause. You'll all laugh but that's been on my mind a lot since she said it. Surely I'm not of an age for the menopause? Have I really got that old without realising?

I'm 49 and had the tests and I'm menopausal.....I was gutted, but that's life lol but what really upset me today was I've come in from work to a catalogue that was delivered to moi....................I never asked for it and it was called 50 plus.........50 plus, lol no 18-30 holiday brochures come, just old lady catalogues lol I m not 50 till June so Im hanging onto my Susan age 49 for every second lol xxx

oh my word, Sara... thank you for reminding me of this! Now I'm really game (NOT!) to stop the pill EVER!
Oh sididd - I have no idea what premenopausal even means! With the pill I'm on, I don't get periods anyway (JOY!) so the blood test could only be done apparently two months after stopping it (if I don't get a period). I suppose then it's some form of HRT? Do you know?
Like you, the thought of the big FIVE OH isn't appealing (in many respects), but, in others, I wonder whether we'll really notice. It's just a number, after all (and I shall keep telling myself that one!).
Scales up 700g after Tuesday's smoked salmon + egg tea, and only 200g down today... I shall drink lots today before weigh in tomorrow!

Good luck for weigh in tomorrow Jo xxx

I'm happy with weigh in but at the rate I'm losing (if you look back say a month on my signature), I feel my decision to try something else is a good one. No drastic changes to start with but I did spot some plums at my local fruit shop last night so it will be great to be able to have a "fruit dinner" again, if I fancy one!

Tomorrow, up to the North coast of France to meet my English friends and the forecast is... rain and snow! Oh dear! We'll be homeless too, condemned to be out and about from 10am to 10pm with two large labradoodles! An interesting prospect! Sunday will be a day in Paris! I honestly can't remember when I last had one of those. There are fabulous markets everywhere so I shall fill my boots so to speak (window shopping only!).

Five more work days until a week off for me. It feels a long time since my Christmas holiday! I'm looking forward to taking some long walks (which don't just take me to work as my morning one does each day!), and I'm going to dig out my sports bra and have a go at building up to a little jog. I probably walk faster than I jog yet, as soon as I break into one, I must forget to breathe as I have no stamina whatsoever, yet I can power walk for miles without the slightest problem!

Happy weekend to all
x

Have a fabulous weekend. Know what you mean about a long time since Christmas holidays I'm desperate for a break xxx

I've been eligible for saga holidays for some time....lol! It's really not so bad - not the holidays, not tried them yet- but the good thing is that I still feel about 30 ish, most of the time, but I know a lot more than I did then. I was thinking back to how my mum was at my age, and actually I'm a lot fitter and more active, and slimmer too. She was old in her 50s, I'm just nicely mature. Like a fine wine or a cheese. So long as I don't develop a mould or get corked, I feel like i could go for years like this.

Have a good weekend, Jo!

I'm just nicely mature. Like a fine wine or a cheese. So long as I don't develop a mould or get corked, I feel like i could go for years like this.

Have a good weekend, Jo!

lol hahahahahahaaha thank you for my Friday giggle xxx

Saturday, as planned, we left the city at 6am and headed up to the north coast of France. We met up with our friends, helped them check out of their gite, and from 11am we were out and about in the bitter cold. The wind was cruel and my thermal gloves futile. We took the dogs to the beach at Berck for a walk to start off which was great fun but oh so cold. I walk so fast usually that walking at other people's pace, stopping for dogs, was difficult and I kept finding myself stalking off alone! Anyway we finally returned to the town, wandered around, and found a place for a snack lunch. I spied omelette on the menu so ordered that with a side salad (so why did I eat all the chips that came with it? I don't even particularly like chips!). Oh well, disappointed in myself, we skipped dessert (small mercies) and headed out again into the cold. Changing location to Montreuil (a beautiful walled village) which we covered every inch of on foot (brrrr... did I mention it was cold?). Afternoon tea came, and I don't regret the planned dessert. Delicious and no guilt (but those chips still annoy me!).
Back out and over to Le Touquet to see how the other half live. Wow at some of the properties on the way there (in the WARM car!). Back out and another hour long (freezing!) walk and by now we're getting fed up of being out, but going in means drinking and/or eating, so... one last place to visit, a pretty fishing village Etaples, and we found a cosy creperie (with a log burner!). I partook with relish. No guilt. Home by midnight. Boy 18 hours!

Sunday dawned early for me in the city and I took myself out for an hour's power walk. It felt good to walk at my pace and actually warm up while walking. (I took the precaution of having no money on me, which was a good idea given the delicious smells calling me from every boulangerie and the sights of the three local markets setting up their stalls). Home for my favourite PP breakfast (smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, and fake caviar eggs) then back out with OH to our largest market to buy fresh salad ingredients and fruit to keep me on the straight and narrow. My first apple was a joy. A (huge!) crunchy pink lady. Later I had a clementine. I didn't even eat those at Christmas! delicious taste and flavour. While I ate plenty during the day, with a rhubarb snack and a frozen yoghurt too in the evening (while OH sampled the UK chocolate treats our friends had brought over for him), I got through the day without a lapse.

Yesterday, I couldn't help but do a PP... I felt bloated, knew I was going to struggle with temptation, so preferred a protein day, which went well although I noticed I was definitely "hungrier".

Today? Lunch is a salad... Perhaps a piece of fruit tonight? I think it will feel like an "extra" though.

I weighed myself today. +600g. Frankly, I'd consider that a good result!

So cautiously continuing with a big Dukan slant on a more healthy eating idea...

Loved reading your post xxx I was there with you all the way, sounded wonderful and all the walking a few chips were nothing xxx

Oh Jo loved catching up on your diary, was great to read, your last Dukan WI looks grand and your cautious approach onto healthy eating looks very grand to me..... Keep posting lovely lady and you gave me a good giggle about the pill after Sara's remark about the conception of Mabel...... LOL xxxxx

Oh my God, your post reminds me so strongly of Chris's and my first attempt to go away after our eldest was born - we were used to being free spirits and were insistent initially that parenthood wouldn't change that. We went to Le Touquet for a long weekend when he was just 4 months old (so it would have been March), it was freezing cold and blew a gale and I walked along the beach with him in a sling while he screamed his head off! In desperation we took him to an indoor swimming pool, but he screamed there too. We attempted to eat out in the evenings, fondly thinking he would sleep in the buggy, but no such luck! He wouldn't even sleep in the hotel room unless I sat up holding him. Turned out he had an ear infection, the first of 8 in the subsequent 12 months, which eventually resulted in his having tonsils and adenoids removed, and. 2 sets of grommets. We tried twice more to go away when he was a baby and each time he was ill - the 3rd time, we went skiing and ear infections when flying or at altitude are no fun at all, especially when you are with baby-intolerant friends!

Anyway Jo, sorry for that outburst, it's just that I don't think I could visit that place ever again! Many congratulations to you though, for surviving the cold but more importantly managing the food choices so well. Keep us posted if you find the time but in any case enjoy your break xx

That northern French wind is definitely blowing! A few years ago I was in Caen for 3 months at uni (yes I know, bit old for such things but hey, interesting experience!) and the cold had to be experienced to be believed. Brrrrh!
Chips? - sounds as if you deserved them!

I had a lovely break from the city and loved being in my quiet country village for 10 consecutive days. Initially I kept the exercise up, despite overeating, but as time went on, it seemed futile wasting an hour on a power walk when there were naughty foods to be demolished behind OH's back! (I ate more with him too, but still seem to enjoy some secrecy around my bad eating habits!)

So two days back on the wagon without any problems whatsoever. It's as if something clicks back in my head once I'm back at work and food is no longer an issue! Duh!

I'm staying off Dukan as I've been abusing restarts and holiday binges for too long, so not getting the desired results after the initial water loss which I get doing my thing anyway! So here's hoping I can get back to wedding weight in 3 weeks (ie in twice the time it took me to regain the weight!)

Official weigh in on Friday but today I am about a stone up!

Great to have you back Jo! Your break sounds lovely (naughty food, days away... heaven) ;) well done for getting straight on track now you are home :D

I am exactly the same re enjoying some secret eating. I have 2 friends I can just be myself with around food, other times I still moderate and sneak in bits while people are not looking. I see time away from others as perfect times to get a snack, something extra naughty etc.. Why did I gain that weight back again?? ;)

Good luck with your plan, you will keep posting here won't you? No one minds what plan ppl are on, it's just lovely having everyone back and posting :)

I was going to do SW again, but decided to give Dukan one last try and not jump on the scales so much... Bit worried I won't get the results, but still think its my best chance to lose at the mo as other plans just give me to many options to be silly with my food.

Anyway, so good to have you back :) let us know how you get on on Friday.

Great to hear from you again, Maintainer! What is it about secret eating? Well I'll tell you one thing, the brakes don't switch on when we're doing it. Why do we do it? If we got to the bottom of that maybe we'd get closer to the root of our issues.

Anyway, like Couteaux says, please keep in touch on this forum. I really care about how you're doing but also benefit from your insight. xx

Thank you ladies. Well the official weigh in today, after four days' clean eating, is a 3.5K gain so I'm pleased with that really! (I definitely deserved that much gain!).
I've been walking to work as usual, although today will take the metro to get some much needed personal time on the computer before work. I've changed position internally and I'm busier than ever before which is good as the time flies and I don't have time to think about food!
Friday's breakfast has always been an awkward one for me on Dukan, as I'd avoid having my usual breakfast muffins so that I'd have them in the car for dinner on the way to the country place (easiest thing to eat for OH who drives!), and I found eating meat/eggs at work for breakfast pretty strange (as did others!). So today, off Dukan, I am having a shredded wheat and two tablespoons of Alpen sugar free muesli with skimmed milk. I used to love a bowl of cereal in my previous life!
All meals planned for weekend. Pretty much as Dukan PV with one piece of fruit each day.
Amazing to see that we've a GORGEOUS day Sunday forecast (as have you in the UK I think).
ENJOY x

Back