If at first you don't succeed try, try, try and try again....

Hello everyone :)

I've actually had a pretty good week. Food has been mainly veg, grains and protein. I've had a couple of meals th\t haven't been brilliant, but I feel like I've made progress. I also managed 4 days without alcohol!!! Which I am very proud of :)

Today has been a fail with the wine! Saw my mum for the first time since Feb! Had wine at lunch, then brought the rest home and finished it! Then had lovely mac n cheese for dinner. Back on it tomorrow :)

But it wasn't a fail - because you stopped at the one, love, and that's a win in my books!

Sounds like a great week, and yaye to getting back on it tomorrow xx

Having wine on Monday sent me off back down the track of drinking everyday!! 3 bottles in 2 days, not good! I've got half a bottle left for today, then I'm not buying anymore, I can't have it in the house. I made the mistake of buying some on the way home on Monday.

But, food has been ok. I can't remember what I had yesterday! Hormonal brain! But today has been weird. I wasn't hungry until about 2:30pm, so had breakfast/lunch of a microwave biriyani, 397 cals and it was lovely. Dinner was roast chicken and homemade potato wedges which were amazing!!

I also did some chair yoga today! Because of my weight a couple of the exercises involving my legs were really difficult, but overall I enjoyed it. The only chair I have was really uncomfortable due to 2 knobbly bits on the front 2 corners, so I've ordered a new one! I know that if I didn't then that would be my excuse to not do it again. No excuses, I shall be doing it everyday, I already feel better in my back thanks to the stretches.

Oooh that chair yoga sounds interesting! I must try and do some exercise, but it's just so hard when it all hurts eh?

And re the wine, it's especially touigh when the sun is shining and a nice cold glass of white wine hits the spot. I've npot had any for 5 weeks but ordered some in my shop for Saturday. Time will tell if I can stop at 2 or whether I just lie on the floor and pour it all straight in :D.

Yep, it's so hard. My back feels a bit better already! Just stretching it out was amazing! I couldn't do most of the parts where you have to cross legs, I just did what I could and adapted it as best as I could.
This is the one I chose out of 2 I watched before doing: Chair Yoga for beginners

Hopefully as you've not had any for weeks you will enjoy it, rather than just hosepiping it down like I do :) And you are buying it fully aware of how you might be with it. That makes a difference I think. I'm still in the mindless phase.

Another hot day ahead! I'm so glad I have a fan, this heat would be hell otherwise!

Awful night last night, just could not stay asleep. I think I dozed all night rather than sleeping. I saw most hours of the night.

A day full of deliveries today! Just had an order of x4 pairs of lovely baggy trousers and a couple of pairs of leggings from Lucy Locket Loves, my absolute favourites! The baggy loungewear are perfect for this weather.

I then have bluetooth headphones and some Skechers sandals arriving today for going out and about, plus a new cook book and Amazon Echo Dot. Also have my new chair for yoga.

Haven't planned food out, but it should be fine. Had dippy eggs and toast soldiers for brekkie which was yummy!

Successful day! All my deliveries arrived, and nothing needs to go back! Going to try and get up early tomorrow to go out somewhere, I can then test out my new sandals which are so comfy! Only issue I have is that my feet are a bit swollen at the moment, especially my left one! So might have to wear my trainers. Will see how they are in the morning.

Food has been ok. Had a cheese, ham and pickle sandwich for lunch. Leftover chicken with mash and baked beans, it was supposed to be courgette but it had gone a bit funky.

Major victory, earlier I had a huge craving for wine! I was all ready to get some Deliveroo'd but I closed the browser before going through with it! Instead I had a couple of glasses of water.

Yoga is done, now time for a cup of tea, shower and bed!

Well done on all counts! Apart from not sleeping. that's rubbish - but the weather's cooling down now for a few days so that should help x

Well, I am back with my tail between my legs. Again! I've been struggling recently and can't seem to get my head in gear. The healthy eating has taken a back seat and I'm just trying to get by day to day. I've downloaded the Nutracheck app, it's like MFP but UK based. So far I prefer it, but it is £3.99 per month to have full access to just the app. But, if it helps, then it's worth it.

I also rescued a cat about 4 weeks ago. She is an old girl, her previous owner passed away. I had already called a cat rescue about another cat, but she wasn't suitable for me, but a week later I get a call from them about this one. I said yes straight away, naively thinking all she would do is eat, sleep and use the litter tray, as they said she was healthy!

Roll on the the day they drop her off. She was brought straight from her old home to me, no health check. Her fur was terribly matted and she was quite thin, but that was just the tip of the ice berg! I found a wound on her leg first of all, then a few days later I went upstairs, there was blood everywhere and her head was swaying. Emergency vet trip, she has a huge ear infection and rotten teeth! Wound on leg was probably caused when she was trying to get to her ear with her back leg. She was given a steroid injection and antibiotics.

The following day, she had a seizure! Another trip to the vet, but they couldn't find a cause. Just said keep an eye on her and let them know. She had another one a few days later, and one last night which was 2 weeks after the 2nd one. It's possible she's had some when I've been at work but I don't know for sure.

Last week she also managed to take off part of her bad ear! She now resembles a street cat! But, it turns out my Mum is very good at sorting out matted cat fur, she came and stayed for 2 days and sorted it out.

It's been an emotional roller coaster to say the least. She's such a sweet little thing and all I want to do is help her, but there are some days that I feel like I just don't know what to do. Between the vets and my Mum they've both had me on the phone in tears!

Sorry that was so long. I just needed to write it down, so if you've got this far, well done!

Oh El that is so unfair of the rescue not to sort out even the basic health issues.

The poor wee love doesn't sound too well at all, those fits don't sound good. This might sound a little heartless but I wouldn't focus too much on keeping her if it's not right for you love - the charity shouldn't have foisted her on you if you'd have no experience with very sick cats, and I wouldn't be scared at all to say it's too much for you, honestly - she shouldn't be left alone during the day, and needs a home where they can look after her round the clock.

Big hugs love xxxxx

Susie, thank you. I appreciate where you're coming from. I'm only out the house 2 days a week, working from home majority of the time, so around for her. I think what's knocked me is that everything that's happened is unexpected. My natural reaction to everything is to cry. She is fine most of the time. And I am getting to know her and her ways. I know I can love her and give her what she needs. I've been lucky and got an amazing vet who is fixing her up.

I've had a lot of cats over the years, she is one the best behaved I've ever had. And I am making my feelings known to the rescue. I can't see myself giving her up. She has been through so much, and I feel it wouldn't be fair to force more change on her and she seems to be settling here well. Once we get through all the health stuff I think she will be fine. She is very affectionate and a bit of a diva! She loves sleep and dreamies!

I think a lot of how I feel is lacking confidence in myself, even though I know that I'm doing what I need to help her. If I compare her between now and 3 weeks ago she has improved so much! Her ear is looking loads better if you ignore the fact she looks like she's been in a fight, she's eating better and is comfortable enough with me to sleep alongside me on my bed and ask for attention. We just need to get through tomorrow, she is going under anaesthetic to have her teeth out, the vet has said that while there is a high risk, the benefit to her quality of life is worth the risk.

Oh El honey I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh or critical.

You've obviously formed a lovely bond with the cat, and I've got everything crossed she's going to come through it all fine with lots of love from her new mummy!

Sleep and Dreamies - wish I was a cat! xxxx

Oh poor you and poor cat Elanor. Of course you are going to love and nurture and comfort her as much as possible. But as a cat owner myself (we currently have four, sadly number 5 had to be put to sleep at the beginning of lockdown) i agree, seizures in cats are not good. And i would be so angry for the shelter not dealing with the health issues before rehoming her or even checking if she was suitable for rehoming.
But its great that she trusts you and letting you care for her.
Hugs to you both

Oh El honey I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh or critical.

You've obviously formed a lovely bond with the cat, and I've got everything crossed she's going to come through it all fine with lots of love from her new mummy!

Sleep and Dreamies - wish I was a cat! xxxx

No need to apologise. I know you were coming from a good place. I think it was something I needed to hear, it reinforced my feeling of needing to look after her. xxx

Oh poor you and poor cat Elanor. Of course you are going to love and nurture and comfort her as much as possible. But as a cat owner myself (we currently have four, sadly number 5 had to be put to sleep at the beginning of lockdown) i agree, seizures in cats are not good. And i would be so angry for the shelter not dealing with the health issues before rehoming her or even checking if she was suitable for rehoming.
But its great that she trusts you and letting you care for her.
Hugs to you both

I agree Tipp, the shelter has a lot to answer for. I was expecting a full health check first, if they had a lot of her issues would have been picked up. I'm lucky that I've found a great vet. Seizures are being monitored and at the moment the vet doesn't feel the need to medicate, they aren't regular and last less than a minute.

------

Cat update! She had her op yesterday to have her teeth out. Thankfully she made it through the anaesthetic! The vet found something under her tongue that was impossible to see when she was conscious, it could be where she had a sharp broken canine rubbing, or it's a tumour. She has anti-inflammatory medicine and we pick up more anti-biotics at her follow-up tomorrow. How she responds will inform the vet on what it is.

She has been so much happier the last 24 hours. She is eating so much better and has found more energy from somewhere. I'm feeling positive that we may have another year or two together. Whatever happens, happens, but I'm content that I've given her the best chance at living the rest of her days able to live her best life. Her purrs are getting louder too!! She is such a sweet little thing.

Now, I'm hoping I can get back to looking after myself as well. My well being has taken a backseat!

Wow! I can't believe it's been 3 years since I last posted. Sadly my little cat didn't live much longer, she was put to sleep about 4 weeks after my last post, it was the best decision for her in the end. I then rescued a gorgeous tuxedo cat from the RSPCA in the November and he has been with me for nearly 3 years now. He is my little shadow and I wouldn't be without him, he can be a pain in the arse but I love him.

I won't lie, I've really struggled over the last few years. I'm now the heaviest I've ever been along with some mental health issues. The last week or two though I've somehow turned a corner. My alcohol intake has been way too high for a long time, but I've not had a drink since Saturday, the longest I've gone without in years and this happened naturally.

I'm also tracking my calories. I'm trying to consume around 2100 a day as that is a deficit at my current weight. Today is day 3 of succeeding and not giving into cravings etc.

I know I need to keep going this time and for the first time in years I feel like I can do it. My health is terrible and the best way to sort it is weight loss. I want to get back to living rather than just existing.

Hi @Elanor 👋
I think I’m the same as you - heaviest I’ve been in years…. 😏
It’s struggling to keep with the motivation- one to start and two to keep it going …
Sorry to hear about your cat - always hard losing a pet 🥺
Well done on the alcohol 👏
Calories sound good to start - I’m going to be on around the same …. Perhaps we can egg each other on to keep going ? 😊

Think I will start ‘2’ new diaries later tonight or tomorrow for definite- got to get going again!

Motivation is so difficult, it's often easier said than done. This time for some reason things are just happening for me, I think sub-consciously I'm ready to change and it's happening naturally. It's a strange feeling. I'll keep an eye out for when you post your new diary so I can give you some encouragement.

Today has been ok, could be better but could have been much worse. I've been feeling rubbish all day, I think it must be my body adjusting to not being given alcohol every day. I confided in one of my closest friends today and it made me feel much better. I have no desire to go and buy a few bottles of wine and I'm very happy about that. I know cravings down the road are likely, but for now it's going well.

Food wise, didn't feel like much today. I had some toast for breakfast and have been drinking Lift lemon tea all day. Then I ended up ordering pizza hut for dinner. Usually I can scoff a large pizza in an evening, but I felt full after 3 slices! There is loads left so will have some for lunch tomorrow and, as much I hate food waste, I'll throw away anything I don't eat.

Back