If at first you don't succeed try, try, try and try again....

I agree! You did really well not to eat your feelings (which is totally what I would have done!) so you need to recognise how well you're doing and not be too hard on yourself. Hope you feel a bit better tomorrow x

"Eat your feelings" - I love that, such a good way to describe it.

El - you have absolutely nothing to reproach yourself for (not that we ever should), I think you did exceptionally well in the circumstances - give yourself a hug! xxx

I like the phrase "eat your feelings" too! It's certainly what I have been doing. But the thing is, I always feel rubbish after. Bloated and a bit nauseous. Yet I still do it!!

Thursday was a weird day. Got to work, sent my manager an email asking to have a chat. But, she asked to see me before even seeing my email. Turns out some of my colleagues have been a bit worried about me. We had a chat, and I told her I am struggling to come to terms with my Dad, she then said I could have some time off. So I came home lunchtime Thursday, and I have yesterday and Monday off, and Tuesday if I need it. Also had a good talk with a couple of my friends.

Only problem with Thursday was lots of crap food and wine! Definitely ate my emotions that day! But yesterday was better, even though I went to Costa and had cake with my latte and cappuccino.

I have done some thinking, and a lot of reading, and I am going to try the low carb way of life. It sounds like it could be just what I need, as I do eat a lot of processed food, and things with artificial sugars etc. I'll still indulge occasionally, but I need to cut down on all the pizza, pasta and bread etc. I'll see how I go for a few weeks, and see if it makes any difference.

I'm so pleased you have some time off to just relax, hun, just take things slowly and, if you can, try to find some non-food related ways of de-stressing (although I know that's easier said than done).

I think you will really like low carb - as you've been eating a lot of processed stuff you should start with Atkins Induction (20g carbs a day) for a week or so, to detox - you'll feel a bit blah in the first week but it's your body realising the negative impact of carbs, and it soon passes. Then you will probably get a big whoosh of energy!

Thank you Susie. Going to ease my way into low carb, knowing me, my version of low carb won't quite be like Atkins, but it will be much healthier than what I have been doing. Dinner tonight is going to be chicken stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon, with swede, broccoli and either carrots or mushrooms (not decided yet). So, we'll see how this goes :)

The last few days I have seen friends, bought new clothes, and a big canvas painting for my living room. Feeling much better in myself. Also, TOTM started yesterday, a whole week earlier than expected!! Which explains a lot to be honest. But as I wasn't expecting it, I didn't see it as an explanation. All the hormones have probably amplified my existing emotions. I'm taking tomorrow off work too, to give myself another day of rest and to get over the worst of my TOTM. Didn't sleep last night due to pain and nausea, filled hot water bottle at about midnight, then refilled at 4am, and then finally found some cold and flu pills which did the job as they had paracetamol in. Quite relieved I had the day off today!

Oh you poor love, I used to get an awful totm too, so am over the moon they have stopped now.

Dinner sounds lovely - and don't forget to keep your fats high - they keep you feeling full and burn body fat faster - and lots and lots of water, 3 litres if you can manage it.

Dinner was good! I had butter in my swede and on my broccoli too, and olive oil on my mushrooms.

Today I had a lovely brunch of x2 eggs and x2 rashers of bacon fried in butter, with some brie and an avocado. My only concern is managing portion sizes. Is it a case of eating until satisfied? But not stuffed...I'm not brilliant at knowing straight away when I am over eating. I may log on MFP for a while to keep track.

I'm getting better at keeping my fluids up. I drink a lot of peppermint tea, and I only drink water instead of juice, squash or fizzy drinks. So that is a positive! That can be my positive for the day, as I need some positivity in my life at the moment.

The liquids sound good, as do the fats - 1 million house points for you! :D

Don't worry too much about portion sizes, it will happen gradually anyway x

And here's a big ((((((hug)))))) and cuddles xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you both, I'm feeling more like 'me' after spending a these last few days actually taking care of myself. It times like this, I'm glad this place is around, even though most of the old crowd didn't come back. Big hugs to you both as well xxx

Today I have logged on MFP, and, I am actually around the 1600 calorie mark, which really surprised me. For some reason I thought it would be much higher. I've not been hungry, and I've enjoyed eating the veg! It helps having the butter on it :D

It's also made me think about some of the things I have been eating, e.g. butter. For years I've been getting the 'pretend' stuff. Like I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and more recently Sainsbury's Buttersoft, and today I compared ingredients. Good old butter just had milk, and a bit of salt, but the other ones have goodness knows what in them. I think I'll stick with butter.

So far, I think I am going to like the Low Carb, High Fat way of life! The only thing I will probably miss is bread. But, it will just end up being something I have occasionally. Rather than the usual 4 - 6 slices a day!!

Real butter is a million times better for you, no nasty trans fats and other additives. And try frying with coconut oil, it's supposed to have lots of health benefits.

Also re the bread, there are some fab recipes here https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes - in fact the whole site is really useful. You have to buy a few special things like psyllium husks and almond flour, but I think it's worth it. If I can get my act together today I'm going to make the keto garlic bread to go with a courgette lasagne. I also love the look of the meat pie - https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-meat-pie. The recipes are fab - rated, and have all the nutritional counts, plus you can change the number of servings and it alters the amount of ingredients, plus you can change from US to metric.

Loving the hugs :).

The diet doctor has been my main source of information. But I haven't managed to get through all of it yet. Need to do some recipe searching today I think, as I need some inspiration.

Last couple of days have been rather naughty. There has been prosecco, pizza, chocolate, white rioja, a lovely ciabatta and onion rings!! Back on it today though. Just had a breakfast of 3 fried eggs, a smoked mackerel fillet, and mushrooms fried in garlic butter. There is a chicken in the slow cooker to have later with lots of veg, including carrots cooked in butter with rosemary! Assuming I have some rosemary.

I'm also going to look at my old SW recipe books, and see if there is anything yummy that can be adapted. I've also decided that there is no point putting too much pressure on myself to lose weight this close to Christmas, but I am just going to try and make the right choices, and not go too mad. I also need to cut right down on the booze!

It's how my Mum used to cook carrots when I was a kid, and I love them. She doesn't anymore for some reason.

Also, weighed myself this morning, after being up to 16st 6lbs the other day, I am back to 16st 4lbs, hoping to do some damage control and make sure I don't go any higher again! I'm still annoyed with myself that I have gained 3st this year! But, I'm trying not to dwell on it, can't change what's happened, all I can do is sort myself out and get back down there!

Welcome Jenny :)

If I worried about the 3 stone I've lost and gained so many times over the last few years I'd never leave the house :).

Don't sweat it babes, you're in focus now and on track to get where you want to be xx

Hi Hun Hope its ok if i pop by :) xxxx

Forgive me friends, for I have sinned!!! A lot!! I really don't know what is wrong with my brain. I'm feeling better emotionally, but I'm still struggling to control my eating. Friday was a big pizza and prosecco, last night was a lot of Chinese food and wine. The food got finished today as there was so much! I'm not feeling to guilty, which makes a change, but I can't fathom how to get back on track properly. I know I can do it, but there is something in my brain that is sabotaging any little bit of effort I put in.

I know I'll get there. For the rest of December, it's try not to go too mad, but at the same time don't put too much pressure on myself. January will be clean slate and fresh start! Psychologically saying goodbye to 2016 could be what I need. As this has been a shockingly bad year!

Back