If we were born thin.......?

hchappyh

Silver Member
Been thinking....if I had lost all my weight years ago, or was born thin...would I be the person that I am today? I mean, because I've had to fight for certain things, has that made me a stronger person or more cynical of others? I take very little for granted and am generally pleased when something goes my way. If I had been thin, and everything was easy, what would I be like now??

Any thoughts??

xx

Mmmm........does this mean you equate being slim with having an easier life????

Yeah definitely. It's not like your problems go away when you lose weight or you're thin. But I can think of so many shitty things in my life that have/had been caused by my weight. I personally think I'd be a completely different person because I've worked a lot of things around my weight. I'm not sure I'd be as strong or persistent in anything tho. I think I would've been a lot less depressed as a teen and much more confident in my love life. I'm really good at everything else but useless at that. I'm working on that now but it's really affected my self-esteem so maybe I'd have better relationships? I think I might have been more lenient and less critical had I been thin... I wonder lol. Definitely wouldn't fix everything, I'm sure other problems could arise from that somehow.

I think life might not be easier being thin but it is definately pleasanter. When I was at my target weight, I found people held doors open for me, people offered to carry heavy things out to my car for me and were generally far more helpful.

Like hchappyh says though, the fact that I haven't always been thin makes me appreciate these things more. If I'd always been thin and probably not appreciate it.

She's also right that it seems to make you more cynical, I'm under no illusions about whether I get help depends on how I look.

Tracey

i think it adds to our life experiences. i sometimes feel as if some people have it so easy in life but we don't know whats really going on you know? i was my ideal weight just 2 years ago and i was in a bad place more or less so i definitely don't think skinny = easy. people just have different priorities and most of the people here are prioritising weight loss at the minute. while i want to lose weight now because i think i'll feel so much better, more confident etc the reality is i probably won't. i'm going to change the person i am into the person i want to be and here's hoping it will work out. to get over the first hurdle i need to lose weight so i can get fit.

Depends on the person. I feel soooooo much more confident now with just 23 pounds less. I hold my head up higher, look at people more in the eyes, and I've noticed I get checked out more :D

But yeah, it's not gonna solve everything but I've already noticed a big difference.

i'd say you're not alone with the confidence boost after losing weight:) most people do i say and long may it last;) was just trying to say that being thin doesn't mean all the problems will go away but i think after making the effort to lose the weight it will make you better able to solve the problems if there are any, its a good character builder is being overweight;)

I think if we were born thin, and stayed thin, then it would just be something else which is an issue now?

I agree that because we haven't always been slim we'll probably appreciate it more when we get there, but I just think other issues would 'build character' or whatever if I had always been slim, so I can't really see how theres a real difference either way.

I definatley dont think id be the person I am today if I was born thin. I have learnt a lot about myself in the past 8 months of this weight loss journey compared to the last 22 years of my life. It has moulded me to be the person I can be proud of , with the carrerr ambitions I would love to achieve and never would have even thought about without being bigger first and going through the journey of weight loss.

I think in some ways it would have made life easier (no bullying due to weight at school, no name calling, having more friends) but at the same time I think everyone has problems.

Its how you deal with the problems that matter. I dont think now if I was born thin that I would be any less of a person.

yeah its a tough one to call cos its a different experience for everyone;) i am now looking forward to getting rid of this 'winter coat' :)

What a good thead. I went through a period of time where I blamed everything that had happened to me on the weight. Who can say for sure if it's true or false? The point of it is, all the crap I've been through has made me who I am today. I am trying to change from the inside out. By changing my mindset I will change my outlook and in turn change the things I need to change.

I have noticed very recently that the girls in my local shop are talking more to me, most likely as a result of me starting to think more positively and I am probably sending out more good/positive vibes.:D I used to think people ignored me cos of how I look.

I do think that I am a better person from going from fat to thin(ner). The confidence I have gained just from loosing weight is amazing and I would never have thought possible. I was always a fairly confident person before my weight loss, but now I realise what confidence is. Walking down the hall in a hotel, school, restaurant, theatre, cinema, wherever and holding my head up high and not cowering away. I never even realised I did that until I lost weight!

I certainly appreciate everything life, knowing that not everything is a given, and that by hard work, whether in career, family, love, or weight loss nothing is impossible. If I had not had this journey, who knows what I would be like. I even had to fight to have kids. I have PCOS, (loads of cysts on my ovaries) and my weight was an issue. Having kids wasn't easy, but although I know I would have loved them anyway, I appreciate them and when they wind me up (which they do often!) I remember the struggle....weight loss is the same, the struggle makes it all the more worthwhile and perhaps more understanding.

xx

What a good thead. I went through a period of time where I blamed everything that had happened to me on the weight. Who can say for sure if it's true or false? The point of it is, all the crap I've been through has made me who I am today. I am trying to change from the inside out. By changing my mindset I will change my outlook and in turn change the things I need to change.

I have noticed very recently that the girls in my local shop are talking more to me, most likely as a result of me starting to think more positively and I am probably sending out more good/positive vibes.:D I used to think people ignored me cos of how I look.

yeah thats similar to me too, but i don't think at the moment my weight has anything to do with my mindset cos my weight is up through the roof and i've never been more sociable! go figure? now if i could only get up off this couch;)

i think it stems from my childhood where somehow along the line i learned that self confidence was a bad thing and so never had any.

breadbin, I'm sorry you learnt that self confidence is a bad thing. That must be a struggle for you to now over come. My OH he has little confidence, but slowly he is overcoming in it. His parents always taught him, if you don't think you can succeed at least you'll never be miserable when you do fail. Always so despondent and negative. I on the other hand was brought up to think, try your best and aim high, if you don't make it, at least you've given it your best! It's better to try and fail, rather than fail without trying!

My OH and me are so aware of this with our kids. My daughter (although very slim and small for her age of 6) isn't the most confident person. We try to give her as much as we can and explain that it doesn't matter as long as you try etc. I don't want her to always be negative. At her school they were holding X Factor like auditions for talent and she didn't want to enter. We were fine with that, but then one of her closest friends wanted to enter and they both go to gym classes together. So they auditioned and got through to the so called 'live final' next week (Thurs 25- Watch this space!) We are sooo very proud of her because we know how hard it was for her to even audition, never mind the show next week! Hopefully this will boost her confidence for the future, win or loose!

Keep thinking positive and keep motivated.

Lyn8124, do you think the girls are talking to you more in the shop,not because you've lost weight, but because you are now more self aware and confident....? Sending out those positive vibes is such a good thing and something we are probably unaware that we are doing...when we're fat I guess we walk up hunched and try to hide, loosing weight shows we are proud of who we are, and so stand tall!

xx

My OH and me are so aware of this with our kids. My daughter (although very slim and small for her age of 6) isn't the most confident person. We try to give her as much as we can and explain that it doesn't matter as long as you try etc. I don't want her to always be negative. At her school they were holding X Factor like auditions for talent and she didn't want to enter. We were fine with that, but then one of her closest friends wanted to enter and they both go to gym classes together. So they auditioned and got through to the so called 'live final' next week (Thurs 25- Watch this space!) We are sooo very proud of her because we know how hard it was for her to even audition, never mind the show next week! Hopefully this will boost her confidence for the future, win or loose!

Keep thinking positive and keep motivated.

Lyn8124, do you think the girls are talking to you more in the shop,not because you've lost weight, but because you are now more self aware and confident....? Sending out those positive vibes is such a good thing and something we are probably unaware that we are doing...when we're fat I guess we walk up hunched and try to hide, loosing weight shows we are proud of who we are, and so stand tall!

xx
Aw, bless them. You will have to let us know how they get on, what are they singing?

Yeah I do feel better about myself generally, still have down days but who doesn't? Thats what I meant about people noticing I'm not as miserable looking or something lol!

They're actually doing a gymnastics routine, I guess it's more like Britain's' got Talent, than X Factor! They had a rehearsal after school today just to make sure they don't forward roll of the stage!! All is well. Will let you know next Thursday without a doubt!

We all have down days as you know. Today is one of mine, but sure that's because I've just come on and feel like *****! I've put my happy face on all afternoon, but now at home with the kids....and the arguing..argghh!

Lets keep positive and be happy.

xx

Back