If you knew then, what you know now....

almostmrswood

What would you have done differently or what do you wish you had known when you started Exante? Any side effects you hadn't expected? Anything easier than you thought it was going to be?

I am starting TS on Friday and I'm gathering all the info I can. I want to go in knowing everything I can so that I'm not knocked off track by unwelcome surprises.

what an interesting thread , I hope you get lots of great replies :)

If I had know then what i know now .. I would have done it years ago !!!

I would also have paid more attention to my bowel habits whilst on exante and not let myselof get soooo bunged up , i now make sure I take regular movicol or dulco pico perles ( the fibre and physillium husks dont work for me ) as dont want to go through that again !!!

What would you have done differently or what do you wish you had known when you started Exante? Any side effects you hadn't expected? Anything easier than you thought it was going to be?

I am starting TS on Friday and I'm gathering all the info I can. I want to go in knowing everything I can so that I'm not knocked off track by unwelcome surprises.
========================================
OK - take a week off work to start. I think its too hard at first to work.
Get your family signed up to help, not hinder - it does not help to put food under your nose.

Don't drink a bottle of wine the night before - eat less carbs in preparation
Start as soon as possible - like today
When in doubt drink more water - it always helps
When life happens - as it does, just carry on the next day.
Adding some fibre helps (I use Lipotrim fibre clear - have done since day 1)
When people say you look tired - reply I need an early night - ignore advice to eat meals to please them
Avoid all 'kindly ' meant advice - only you know what is best for your body.
Discard your old clothes - buy new on the money you have saved on junk food.
Stick with it rigorously - you will need extra will power at the start but its gets easier when your clothes get loose.
Be kind to yourself! Its not easy and you have done very well already.
I had no idea how much it would change my life - if I had I would have done it years ago.
Stay in touch with Mini mins - its a real support.
all for now but I will be back later.
GSQ

I agree with paying attention to your bowels!
I also think I've found it easier to start and his diet while I've been off work as I've not been tired or stressed. However the downside to this is sometimes I've been bored...which in the past I would've filled with eating. So I would advise to plan stuff that doesn't involve eating to fill time - walks, decluttering, cleaning, cinema, days out etc.
I would advise only telling those people who NEED to know about the diet as a lot of people will react negatively and make you question whether this is the right thing to be doing.
I would also say to get things in the cupboards as allowed treats (diet drinks, bouillion). I live on my own so I have no food in the house which makes life easier but I know for those living with their partner/families this isn't possible.
Good luck for you start on Friday x

I was surprised how easy I found starting Exante, I think the things that helped me were...
- coke zero, sparkling water and bouillion for little treats
- starting on a Friday so I could slob about over day 2 & 3 while waiting for ketosis
- Minimins! All the time I used to spend eating/ cooking I spend on here now :)
- My star charts - one for every day I stick to Exante, and one for pounds lost. Great for physically reminding me of how well I'm doing on days when I don't feel it!
- a protein drink shaker (with a metal ball whisk thing in) that I got off ebay - shakes were a bit lumpy before (not good!)

Good luck, once the first few days are over and the pounds start dropping off it gets addictive!
LED x

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm doing a 12 hour shift on Friday, then a 10 hour shift on Saturday. I'm in Front Services at ASDA so apart from my breaks, there is no opportunity to sneak away and cheat!! My OH is off the weekend so he can watch the little one if I feel a but rubbish on Sunday. He's the only one that knows I'm doing this. I want to see how long it takes my friends to notice the new, slimmer me.

You guys are all doing so well. I've never really been a big dieter. I did weightwatchers for a while last year and lost a stone but I got so bored with a lb here and there. It's all gone back on and then some since, oops! I just want rid of all the weight as fast as I can. Then I just have to watch what I eat instead of always worrying about the scales.

Anyways, keep the hints and tips coming

xxx

I wish I had been a beer drinker....pint after pint how do they do it? It seems to be learned behaviour as most young lads pick it up really quickly from their mates...If like me you are used to drinking very little during the day get it sorted before you start...Increase your fluid intake considerably before you start the diet...I wish I had as 3 weeks in and I am still struggling with it....Not made easier with athritic hips and a weak bladder!!!! If I could run to the loo there would not be a problem.....I have perhaps restricted my fluids over time because of that and that was not good either.....So to conclude...PRACTISE AND INCREASE YOUR FLUID INTAKE AND LEARN TO RUN!!!!!

(My grandaughter says that that is why I cannot fly like Way something on the telly ...You have to run and jump to fly) Well maybe will have to accept that I can be thinner but I will never fly.........)

Last edited:
What a great thread. Im also starting on Friday so some fab advice on here! Going off to get a glass of water to drink while I order a shaker from ebay! x

Brilliant Thread... I have just finished week 2 and I wish I had prepared a little better on the fluid intake part. I am still stuggling to get 2 litres down me each day, but it's getting better day by day.

Bowels - agree with above posts, make sure you do something to help the flow!....if it makes you suffer that way. Some people have no issue, but I am one that does need to take notice and do something!

Keep telling yourself it's temporary, 6 or so months time, you can have a splurge now and then without worrying!

I just found a brilliant spreadsheet (on the CD forum) which I slightly amended to match the Exante plans...there is a thread for it if you want to download it. (entitled weightloss spreadsheet & Graphs)

I am also going to start the star chart on the fridge as Lasteverdiet does....I think that will help me too

I agree with the bowel comments. I got really demoralised because I thought I wasn't losing weight and really I was bunged up. If you havent gone for two or so days, take something! Also Don't weigh everyday if you can help it- and weigh at the same time preferably in the morning but you probably know that! Weigh more in the afternoon =) And you wont have much energy on days 2-4 but then suddenly youll have more energy and you wont be hungry at all- stick it out because I'm on Day 20 and I don't get hungry at all and go to the gym every other day =) Take it easy in the first week though! Xx

Oh yes I forgot about my sticker chart! I have one in my kitchen with sticker stars on every good day and big sad faces when I've cheated. I have had to put 4 sad faces on this month and I don't like them looking at me! However, at my WI this morning I have lost a stone in a month so am on track.

Someone said on another thread that the food will still be there when you finished the diet. I think that's brilliant advise and has really touched a nerve with me, will keep remembering it when I am next tempted.

=D That would be me probably Blobalob! I've added it to my sig now so everyone can see it- its my little mantra to keep me going- friend said it to me at the start of my diet and it's totally true :D Xx

I love it! It's my inner mantra - will need it when I go back to work and am faced with all the cakes & biscuits in the staff room xx

I have the same problem! Every birthday and theres like a 100 staff in the office so atleast once a week there is something on the table tempting me but I'd rather eat it as a thin woman than a fattie ;) Xx

Should you tell people? I don't know I had to tell my daughter because she wanted to know if we could have a family meal for her dad's birthday...But I have not told anyone else....I do not want any negative feedback...I do not want to spend my life talking about it...And if if I fail I do not want I told you so...I may be a coward but it is my diet,my weight,and my success or failure....Oh! And I am WINNING!!!!!!

Loving the star chart idea, I'll be pinching that. I drink like a fish (non alcoholic!) anyway so I don't think I'll have a problem with the water.

The excel chart is brilliant! I saw it on another thread and I've save it to notebook to be updated every week.

I'm really looking forward to Friday now. This years Christmas party I'm going to buy a super sexy outfit to show off my fab new body lol xx

glad to see you on here almostmrswood! Fab thread, wish there was something like this when i started. The advice has been great and i'm gonna get busy with a star chart this weekend...

if i get tempted to cheat i just remind myself i know what it (pizza / chocolate / biscuits etc) tastes like and that is what made me so fat. i dont need it in my life anymore!

good luck for tomorrow - we will be thin for christmas xxx

The toilet department in my case as i really suffered last time on a vlcd, thats not going to happen this time. Plenty of senna in already.

Mandy

Back