I'm a dehydrating freak....

icemoose

The Diet Guy
Well I got a dehydrator off of Ebay as had enough paying 70p for a little pack of dried apple slices.

And since then been dehydrating loads of things!!!

Just sitting here eating banana and papaya chips I dehydrated!

Does anyone remember Eddie in Friends who dehydrated ??? I am a bit like him!!

M.

lol trust you!!

Hello

Is it one of those £69 quid jobbies? Any good for kids pack lunches and stuff? Let us know if you are still using it in a day or two or if it's in the cupboard with the bread machine etc etc. I'm always thinking of ways to make the pack lunches more and more interesting and healthy. Thanks for sharing Dizzy

Yes it was £69.

You get 5 trays and can do a load at once, I think from memory I did 12 bananas worth of chips and they taste absolutely cracking to be honest.

I haven't tried jerky yet which is why I really got it as I love jerky and that is really really expensive but it takes longer to do and I haven't had the time yet.

The apple ones I have just done are also very good, they don't taste like humdingers but more like julian graves version (if that makes sense!!)

My little one likes them anyway.

M.

It is dried meat that tastes great and is very very low in fat, very high in protein and taste wonderful.

It is very popular in America and getting more so over here. But over here it is like 2 quid for a little tiny bag of it.

Look out for it in the supermarket.

M.

I didn't know there was any such thing as a dehydrator so I'll look into them for later weeks.

Ahah this has brought back some memories for me!! My ex-husband bought one way back a million years ago and got terribly excited about making biltong (African version of jerky).

He made oodles of the stuff and I was forever finding bits of it all over the house - yuk! lol

It's a great gadget though - dunno what happened to our one! He must have snaffled it in the divorce! lol.

Have fun!

Mmmmm, beef jerky!
Lived on it in Germany, we'd visit the US army bases to stock up.

Discovered it on sale in Costco and must confess to a cupboard full! The boys love it as do I, but back on the CD track today so I shall push it to the back of the cupboard and try hard to deny its very existence...:rolleyes:

Sounds so cool, I love banana chips, keep us updated as to everything you do with it please ice, may get one if you are still using it in 2 weeks

Can you use your normal oven to do this? :confused:

If my kitchen has any more biggish appliances in it we will have to extend the house to fit them all in :rolleyes:

same here chicken i would love some gadgets in my kitchen but have to make do with a toaster, kettle and microwave

Hi Icemoose

Just wondering how you are getting on with this piece of kit. I'm interested in getting one and so was wondering if you would still recommend or was it a five minute wonder?

I bought some little packets of apple crisps the other day could I make them with it? They are actually crispy not soft.

Cheers

Dizzy

Yep still using it! I tend to make a lot of banana and apple chips and still haven't really used it for meat jerky as purely I haven't had enough time to marinade it etc.

It makes lovely apple chips though once you have the "art" and is also good fun!!

M.

Cheers!

Must make some room in the cupboard before I buy. The apple chips are great for us and also for my 3 kids pack lunches. But at 35p for 10g packet!!!!

Probably worth a try. Maybe something to ask Santa for.

Dizzy x

Yep still using it! I tend to make a lot of banana and apple chips and still haven't really used it for meat jerky as purely I haven't had enough time to marinade it etc.

It makes lovely apple chips though once you have the "art" and is also good fun!!

M.

I was wondering how you were getting on with this. Thinking of putting it on my Christmas list.

Couple of questions. Is it very big? Does it take long to prepare stuff like apple crisps? Do you need to buy extra bits to go with it? Besides food that is!

Back