I'm confused

tenney73

:confused: Iwas told not to do much exercise on LL but have been reading about people buying lateral thigh trainers etc. Isn't it dangerous doing alot of exercise when only surving on 500 calories a day and also how do people muster up the energy? I am on week 4 and after a day's work and chasing around after my little girl and husband I am exhausted. When is energy boost supposed to kick in aswell?

hi i done cd for 3 weeks and i i was in bed at 7 every night and didnt have the energy to do anything, i dont think its dangerous but you will get extreamly light headed. i wouldnt recomend it but if you want to excersise do what you feel you can and dont push yourself x x good luck

I think it depends on what level of fitness you had before you started the diet. One of my LL group did tennis, swimming, golf etc and carried on doing it. I couldn't ! I have been on a VLCD since the end of September 06 and have only just started swimming ! And that left me weak and wobbly so I only do little bits.

Concentrate on the diet and your life and sensible things like walking and using stairs instead of lifts. You will know when you are ready for more.

no probs, since coming off of cd i have been doing ww for 1 week and have lost 3 lb( i did put on 5 when i came off of cd in 2days) i am so gratfull for all the food i eat now though. how much weight have you lost so far?

18lb to go until I introduce food which is a bit scarey but looking forward to it ! I have thoroughyl loved losing weight so fast though, very motivating !

Trying to introduce bits of exercise too to tone up but as I said above, gently, gently, I just know my body doesn't have the reserves for it.

Hope you have a good LLC - mine was fab and I have really got my head round food this time.

Don't forget you are not actually surviving on 500 calories, you are using your fat to provide the other 1500, or whatever you use each day.

Don't forget you are not actually surviving on 500 calories, you are using your fat to provide the other 1500, or whatever you use each day.

Yes good point. What I meant about reserves for exercise was that there isn't much readily available energy in my body without burning fat which isn't instant. So when I swim my body can't seem to get me energy quick enough and I am knackered !:) So I have to take it slowly and do exercise in small chunks.

I don't know if this is true for everyone but I heard that when you eat there are instant reserves for exercise but on a VLCD it takes time for fat to burn etc to get the energy to you.

hi yummy mummy, I have lost 15lb in 3 weeks so am really pleased. Hoping to get to my goal by summer. Bet it feels nice again being able to 'eat' and if you are still losing the weight with ww well good on you! Well done magickmel for sticking the LL out it must feel great being so near to managment. Good luck to you both

oh yeah it feels fab, you realise after being on cd how to appriciate your food and how much you really do need it to be able to be normal (by that i mean no bad breath, no bad mood swings ,not feeling tired and drained all of the etc) but at the same time i wish i could do cd and lose the rest of the weight but without all of the side effects. im really happy tough and im sure you will be to when you are eating again. your doing really well by the way keep up the good work and when you do start to eat normally make sure you follow the introducing stages or you will end up like me and putting on 5lb in 2days

well to be honest i ate crap, then started to eat normally. alot of people said that its mostly to do with your glycon? and water levels filling back up from not eating as you cant really put on that much in such a short space. maybe it was just me being a pig but there was so much new foods out that i hadnt tryed while i was on cd and just needed to have them, so i did and my god did i pay, the other good thing is that your stomache shrinks so you cant really eat as much as before and 1 more piece of advice dont eat fatty foods, you get the worse type of belly pains in the world, just goes to show how much our bodys dont like fat!!!

Yes good point. What I meant about reserves for exercise was that there isn't much readily available energy in my body without burning fat which isn't instant. So when I swim my body can't seem to get me energy quick enough and I am knackered !:) So I have to take it slowly and do exercise in small chunks.

I don't know if this is true for everyone but I heard that when you eat there are instant reserves for exercise but on a VLCD it takes time for fat to burn etc to get the energy to you.

I think you are absolutely right, we have enough energy to do most things, as long as we take our time doing them!

Just listen to your body...it will soon tell you if you've overdone it but as above just go slow & build up & you'll find the right level! Personally I cant do as much as I did and get tired more easily but feel thats not a bad thing. One of the reasons I put on weight was cos I didnt look after myself!

I found that week 6 brought my energy burst! I couldn't believe it to be honest, as I'd felt really knackered for the first 5 weeks but then out of nowhere - boom! I've started doing lots of exercise now - swimming, stepping, power walking and a good dose of weights. I'm really enjoying it and now trying to work out some fitness goals, which I've never done before. Previously my exercise goal was "lose weight". Well I'm doing that on my VLCD and can now see fitness as something separate. It's quite exciting to have fitness goals based on feeling great and boosting my energy levels. Feel like I now have something extra in the tool kit :D

I did a lot of reading up on ketosis yesterday and it seems that the effects are very different depending on your own unique body. The main change in energy levels etc seems to come according to how easily or not your body makes the change over from having glucose as fuel to using ketones instead. Some bodies adjust very easily and there are no weak moments. Others take a lot longer and it may be several weeks before proper energy levels return.
So, if you're still in week 3 or 4, it doesn't mean it won't happen.
From what I can gather - once you body has made the adjustment, it should all get a lot smoother. And one encouraging piece of information I read (in quite a few places) is that your heart actually prefers ketones as an energy source. Your brain needs glucose, but can make what it needs from the protein and fat.
When you stop and think about it, aren't our bodies just absolutely amazing?

Hi, maybe it was me you were referring to as I have just ordered the LTT, and awaiting delivery now! I am about to start week 8, and altho occasionally tired, I feel pretty buoyant most of the time.

I have a fairly sedentary life. I work as a TA, so at work, I am on the go all day. At home I am quite a homebody, but I do love my TV in the evenings!!

I just feel I am ready to start some toning and exercise now, I have lost some weight but have lots lots more to go. Also I am very concerned about saggy skin, and I think it might help if the muscle underneath has a bit of tone to it.

AS far as exercise not being good for someone on a VLCD, I havent heard that. My LLC is keen on us getting moving, and one other lady in our group is a very keen golfer. She has just had a week in Portugal, stuck completely to abstinence and walked well over 6 miles every day on the golf course alone! That is on top of the normal sight seeing strolls etc. She said she much more energy than anyone else in her party!

I hope this helps a little bit. I suspect its all up to the individual, i that we must know how to read our bodies and not push ourselves too hard!

Hi yummy mummy my friend who did LL recently said that she tried to eat fish and chips when she was back to eating and she had really bad stomach cramps aswell. It makes me a tad bit sad to think I won't be having them again especially as a new fish shop has opened just up the road from us

Lol tenney at your new chip shop opening!! :D

It's not that you'll never be able to have fish and chips again, after you have finished management (12 weeks) you will have introduced all food types. You'll be back to 'normal' eating, tho of course everything in moderation;) Maybe your friend had fish and chips too early on???

As to the exercise, don't overdo it, just go gently :p

I was under the impression that exercise was encouraged on Lighter Life, and I personally have found exercise easier while on the programme but maybe that is because I am less Fat! . I used to feel terrible when I exercised all shakey and weak limbed , but now I feel Ok and have actaully increased what I was doing pre LL a bit because it feels easier. I thought it was recommended because you need to build up muscles so that your body does burn fat and not muscle tissue (which incidently includes the heart). I find the energy is ther but you do bottom out after a certain time and feel absolutely knackered and nothing could make you go past that point.
my counsellor said exercise was Ok, so I hope it is., as I am hoping it will tone everthing up as I shrink , dont want to end up like a deflated ballon, LOL .
C x
C x

Back