I'm looking for quick very simple meals and snacks

chezzylou

I'm really struggling to come up with easy quick recipies. I'm 19 and i need recipies and ideas to fit around my student life.

Late at night when im hungry i dont know what to snack on and sometimes an apple doesnt quite do it for me lol

Does anyone have any ideas please?

xxx

Omlette, cant go wrong! We have one of them microwave omlette makers which makes one even quicker than a frying pan (although it doesnt taste as good). You can make an omlette and shove what ever you want on it.

Or how about having 2 choclate alpen light bars as a healthy extra B choice, they are even nicer when melted in the micro wave for 20 seconds.

Wow, i sound like the micowave queen! lol x

oh wow yea i never thought of omlette! and the melted alpen bars sound so good im definitely going to have to try it :D thank you

Yes, I do lots of quick meals in my laziness.

Meals:

Lentil Dal - bung 250g red lentils, 750ml veg stock, 1/4 tsp chilli powder and 1 tsp of turmeric in a pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes. Meanwhile slice up an onion, some garlic and fry in fry light with some cumin seeds, stir into the dal and serve!

Jacket potato with - hummus (B), baked beans, leftover dal, leftover chilli

Mexican bean pittas - made these on my blog: Hasta La Vegan: Mexican Bean Pitta

Fry up - I have veggie sausages, beans, veggie bacon, fried mushrooms, sliced beetroot and some form of potato

Pitta bread pizzas

Smash pizza

Sw chips, cheese and beans

Pasta with a quick tomato sauce

Snacks:

Cup of pasta/savoury rice packs/pasta n sauce
Soya yogurts
Hummus (B) and crudities
Crackers with cheese, cucumber, tomato, pickle etc
Sugar free jelly
SW chips
Small mugs of leftover soup

Hope these ideas help a bit!

wow thanks :) iv got a little notebook where i keep all the SW recipies i come across.. not many as iv only been a member for a few weeks :)

How about egg, chips and beans done the SW way? I had that for tea on Friday night and it was ace!

Oh and of course pasta bake has to be a student staple. Just cook some pasta shapes and then make a sauce with onions, chopped tinned tomatos, garlic, chilli powder and some herbs. Stir that into the pasta, put in a oven dish and then sprinkle over 42g of grated low fat cheese (as your healthy extra B) and then chuck it in the oven for 25 minutes or so. I suppose you could put in some prawns or chicken or any other free protein too. You could make a big dish of it and then have it for a couple of days with some salad leaves.

I'm exactly the same, 21 and fitting it around student life lol.

My fave is melted alpen bars with vanilla muller light and chopped bananas :) Delicious.

How about making up a syn free sw quiche to keep in the fridge to help yourself to a slice when you need a quick snack.
Keep wholemeal rolls or pittas in for your hex B and quickly frylight an egg or grill some lean bacon to add inside.
If its sweet that you need, then warmed up alpen lights, chopped bananas mixed with mullerlight or I keep frozen berries in the freezer and take some out and mix with mullerlight when I want a dessert.
The jelly sweets are nice-the ones where you make up sugar free jelly and add extra gelatine so they are firmer.
If you have hex A left, use the milk to make a mug of cocoa-1 tsp cocoa and 1 tsp sugar-only 1.5 syns and always satisfying.
Skinny cow mini dippers and viscounts are both 3 syns each for low syn treats.

yea i love the sw chips but i find they take ages to do

have you seen the tip in the tips thread about doing chips in the toaster in a toaster bag?
I think it was for the Mcains rustic oven chips ( 1 or 1.5 syns per 100g or something like.. ), but I'm sure you could do SW chips like that too..
I'll be giving them a go when I can dig out the toaster bags I bought 3 years ago and never used..
Just nuke the cut 'taters for 4-5 mins, then whack them in a toaster in the bag..

When I know I have a busy week coming up I try to take a few hours on the weekend to do some batch cooking and freeze into microwavable portions - so chilli, curry, soup, stew etc, all made with as little meat as I can get away with without OH moaning and bulked out with loads of cheap veg! This way there is always something easy and quick in the freezer to serve with a micro jacket spud, pasta etc.
(However, you need to label or you'll be squinting at a oddly shaped bag of frozen red/orange food trying to see if there are chiili beans in it or anything else identifiable! I only use the cheapy freezer bags, so use two and put a slip of paper with what it is and when i cooked it in between the two bags! Other people have suggested masking tape but I tend to end up with a freezer draw of detached labels...)
HTH xxx

have you seen the tip in the tips thread about doing chips in the toaster in a toaster bag?
I think it was for the Mcains rustic oven chips ( 1 or 1.5 syns per 100g or something like.. ), but I'm sure you could do SW chips like that too..
I'll be giving them a go when I can dig out the toaster bags I bought 3 years ago and never used..
Just nuke the cut 'taters for 4-5 mins, then whack them in a toaster in the bag..

i am definitely going to try that :) it sounds so much quicker then the normal way! Thanks! i love my chips lol

xx

Stir fries are great when you're cooking from scratch in a rush (with noodles for more speed - rice takes too long).

Pasta bake - make a big one that you can have several portions from.

Cook some chicken thighs or the syn free donna kebab meat in the oven and cool to have with salad (Asda seem to be best value for bags of salad I think).

It's a great idea to get some quick meal ideas under your belt for the long term, as it probably won't only be while you're a student that you have a busy lifestyle!!

Back