I'm New Here And Need Support ...

niks88

Hi Guys,
My name is Nikki and I am 25 years old. I am new to this whole thing. For the last 6 months I have been 'dieting and starting the gym' but it never really played out that way. And I froze my gym membership. But now being 25 and being 20 stone, perhaps more, it is definitely time to lose weight, be more healthy and active. Tomorrow I am starting back the gym and cutting down and dieting but I know I am going to need lots of support. And altho my family and friends are super supportive, I think I will need people who have been through, and are going through what I am about to embark on. My friend started the gym at the start of 2012 and now looks amazing, and I want the same results. And she is still going. She is getting married in 8 months and I would like to lose weight for that. I want to feel good about myself, and look good. I want to see a full body photo of myself and think, Oh I look good. Not look at the photo and think I look a fat mess. And as a result I will only take head shots. No Lower.
I am also a massive juice addict, fizzy juice, fruit juice. I can drink loads of juice. Sometimes more than 2 litres in a day. I love sweets, chocolate, crisps. I love takeaways, pizza, bread, everything that makes you fat and unhealthy, I love it and I need advice and help on how to cut these bad things out. And any tips any of you are willing to share, I am happy to read and learn.
Thanks for anyone who reads this and anyone who replies.
:)
xx

Hi Nikki - welcome to the forum! We're the same age, love the same food and trying to do it by healthy eating/gym, so hopefully we can help each other!

Getting started is the hardest thing ... What I've found that's really helped me figure out what I can eat and when I deserve a treat is by downloading myfitnesspal or by going to its website. It's really interesting and you just learn so much about food.

I've only just started so I don't have much advice yet, I'm just trying to find a way to incorporate a healthy lifestyle and fitness into my social life ... Meals out and stuff play a big part in my life so for me it's about being extra good when I can and planning ahead if I have a night out or something planned. I still haven't got fully into the swing of things but I already have started feeling better about myself.

Best of luck!

Awww thank you so much for replying. I think I had that my fitness pal before, I can't really remember. The first time I went to the gym, the instructor advised me on the Paleo diet, which is also called the Caveman diet, which is all mainly fruit, veg, meats, eggs, and no carbs, no bread, rice, pasta, nothing. And I am not sure I can do that, and when I first tried, I quit cold turkey, for like a week, instead of slowly getting myself into it, and getting my body and I used to it. I think that was a big problem. I also still live at home with my parents, and sometimes have dinner made for me coming home from work. I am 20 stone and my ideal weight is anything between 9st to 11st, for my height which is 5ft 9in.

Thank you for replying. :) I think I used to have that myfitnesspal app but I'm not sure lol. When I first started the gym, my instructor suggested the paelo diet which is also known as the caveman diet. Where it's mainly meat, fruit, veg, and no carbs at all. I tried that but I went straight in, cold turkey an only last a week. I think I need to try and slowly start cutting stuff out.
I think part of the problem for me aswell is that I still live at home with my parents, so sometimes I have a dinner made for me coming home.
For my height which is 5ft9 I have to weight 9st to 11st to be my ideal weight!
xxx

Hi Nikki, welcome to the forums! have a good look around at the different boards and you'll soon find loads of helpful hints and tip. I'm also a diet coke addict so trying hard to beat it!

good luck! keep us updated on how you're doing :) xxx

We all love the kind of food you love niks, I guess that's why most of us are here lol. But you have to see it for what it is, its an addiction eating all this crap stuff, and you have to beat the addiction. Don't let a bag of crisps or a bar of chocolate dictate what size clothes you wear, you are better than that. You can do it, you can eat healthily you just have to get your head round that fact. I know I can give up the crap, because I gave up anti depressants and smoking and they were both hell to beat so im not gonna let a chocolate éclair tell me otherwise!

Thanks guys :) I am loving the positive atmosphere here. Altho I have just went to Boots and weighed myself and I am actually 20st 9lbs. So at least I know what I am starting with. Altho I am a bit embarrassed to go back to the gym and ask the instructor to set me out a routine to help me, as I have done this before an quit many times. I'm worried that they won't take me seriously, when this time I am going to be serious!
xxx

Do you know what, I bet the instructor would be full of admiration for you! for one thing you present someone that they can make a big difference to, to help you get back to full health and fitness. It would give them an immense sense of satisfaction to help you get on the road to losing weight, more so than an already fit person where they wont see much overall improvement. So don't be embarrassed, im full of admiration for you already to consider this step. Just think, if you can get back on it today in 3 weeks you will see some significant results.

Meh to the scales its just a number, does it really matter what you weigh? the important thing is what you can lose, so focus on that.

I went out walking today, and I think tomorrow I will go back to the gym. And start back properly again. :) and I'm gonna make progress chart with helpful/inspirational quotes. To help me along the way. And encourage me to keep going!
xxx

Atta girl! That's a great idea and the gym will be fantastic, but if you're not ready then continue doing exercise by yourself for a bit until you are ... It's all about long term, not short term so do what you're comfortable with!

:D I love it here and I am so grateful that everyone has took the time to reply to me. It means a lot and it's all so encouraging. I have made a list of classes I could do during the week.
xxx

Hi Niks, this is a great place to start. Small and consistent changes over big shake ups are the best way to start, it's so easy to go whole hog for a few weeks and then get so tired that you go back to where you were already.

If you have never tried Zumba before and your gym offer it, give it a go. I love it, it's good fun, there are no prizes for getting it right all the time and it's a great cardio work out. I love MFP, I know it has it's drawbacks but I was someone who thought I was eating 'well' until a PT took one look at it and told me all the things I was doing wrong. Even if you just keep it for you, if you have a good weight loss week you can go back and see the sorts of things you were, and weren't eating. Tell your nearest and dearest what you are hoping to achieve, I have been amazed by how encouraging and understanding people have been.

Best of luck :)

Every time I come on here I can't believe how nice, friendly and supportive everyone is. I've definately started in the right place for support. Yes, my gym does offer Zumba. I'm definately gonna give some of the classes in my gym ago, and see what works best for me and which ones I enjoy. Also, I get some helpful and inspiration photos/info/quotes on Pin terest, if anyone wants to join that and go to the health and fitness section. Some great photos and info.
xxx

Today I've drank two 500ml bottles of strawberry and kiwi water, it more aimed at kids I think but I wouldn't drink water otherwise. And for lunch today I had a chicken tikka salad :) and tonight I am going to a legs bums and tums class at the gym.
xxx

Ok, I walked up to the gym and I am now back home. :( I didn't have the confidence to stand in a room with women, who I don't know. And they all look at you, like they're judging you. :( I feel disappointed in myself, that I am just wasting my money, on the membership.
:(
xxx

A little update.
Lunch - Chicken tikka salad.
Snack - A fruit pot.
Dinner/Supper - A bowl of Cheerios with semi skimmed milk.
Drinks - 2 bottles of strawberry and kiwi water and 1 individual carton of orange juice from concentrate.
And I also walked for round about an hour today.
xxx

Ok, they aren't judging you, you are just new. Most people who go to those classes are in shape because they go to those classes, not all of them was skinny to start :). I am sure I look at 'newbies' at Zumba and I wonder if they think I am judging them but actually I'm thinking 'good on you'. Only the very narrow minded people judge but actually, 99% of people I have met in gym classes have been friendly and encouraging. Sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone to make big gains, try and force yourself to go once, if you really hate it then you know you tried!

Yeah, I suppose. It is my own insecurities holding me back. Zumba class is on Thursday, I like dancing, I will give that a go.
xxx

Don't look at anyone when you're there - the first time you go will be the hardest and then you won't give two sh*ts! I was always worried about that kind of thing but everyone just does their own thing and concentrates on that ... Honestly. You'll be making friends with them in no time. If I can now go with my boyf and his laddish mates, I know that you can definitely get to Zumba :)

Back