Hi guys, im completely new to this website and im not even sure if im posting this in the right place but here goes!

Im 22 stone and 20 years old, im so unhappy with my body and over the past 12 months ive gained more weight than ever and i have tried not to think about it until i really sat down tonight and took a look at myself. I have lost all my confidence and im so unhappy with myself that i just want to cry when i look at myself. I have tried so many diets and the only one that worked for me was slimming world and i would love to get back to it. However in the past few weeks ive tried it i cant get past the first week without insane cravings for fast food, sugar and just all over junk food.

I am so unhappy and i want to be confident and happy and start living my life the way someone my age should and im just looking to see if you have any tips for staying on plan, beating the cravings and exercising.

sorry for such a long post x

Welcome to Minimins,

Do you live with your parents?

To stay on plan you need to have a plan. Plan out your meals,plan out what exercise you would like to do and the most important thing I found was to learn to say NO.. I know on Slimming World you can have cakes,crisps,biscuits but I would replace them with fruit and yoghurt. Don't have any foods to tempt you in the house. Don't overload your plate. Get some scales and weigh portion sizes out. I know another thing is SW has free foods but that doesn't mean you can just keep eating. Spend the money you would spend on junk food on yourself. :)

Start a diary in the Slimming World forum and post your food and how you feel. Other member will look at it and help you along the way.

You're stronger than you think you are. Take one day at a time and don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day. None of us are perfect and you have taken the first steps in trying to be the best you can be. You will form new better habits over time. Praise yourself each day. And plan 😁 we certainly have time for that. Don't buy the rubbish in. Good luck and keep us updated xx

I agree with everything @craftermary said
I was also very similar to you when I first started my journey. But I promise you everyday will get better and easier the longer you stick with your plan.
your cravings will numb down.

And when I first joined this forum just the mere support and success of other members really helped me stay true to my self. Because sometimes when you start to feel yourself straying out of track. Just reading and telling people you are starting to struggle it’s a common thing to happen to anybody.

just know that we are all in this together and your not alone.
We want everyone to be successful and be happy

one advice I can give you is setting yourself little goals instead of looking at the bigger picture that way you will feel so good knowing you are hitting them and know that you are on the right path to this working out overall.

If you wanted you could make your own little diary thread I know that helps a lot of people including myself stay motivated.

At the beginning of the year my weight was very similar to yours. I’ve always been on the heavy side, but I was in a car accident around 3 years ago which left me needing a couple of operations and long term mobility issues. I didn’t get weighed until December at a routine doctors appointment. I knew I’d put on weight, but it turn out I’d put 4 stone on and it was a huge wake up call for me.
I started following Slimming World early in January and I have now lost 31lbs. I am trying to lose 6 stone by Christmas. I have a diary on here - there’s a link in my signature. You may find it useful.
I think when you have a lot of weight to lose it can be overwhelming, so think instead in small steps. I set myself mini goals e.g. lose 7lbs by the end of January, lose 5% of my starting weight and so on.
I think the current situation in the world helps in some ways and hinders in others. I haven’t left my house in 4 weeks now, so I am totally responsible for all the food in the house and everything I’ve eaten. No being tempted by going out for a meal, or having a coffee and go on I’ll have cake with it. That all helps & I’m determined to come out of quarantine thinner than I went in. On the down side I’m not getting out and walking like I was and we all need to take more care of our mental wellbeing now as these are unprecedented times.
I plan everything (and I’ve enjoyed doing it) and I write down everything which passes my lips. I keep a diary on here, but even if I don’t post on here it goes in my little book. And I’m honest - or I’m only cheating myself and my health.
I have also tried to plan food so I don’t feel deprived. I try and find healthy versions of foods that I would be tempted with and that really helps me stay on track. There are some great recipes around. I don’t keep things in the house which I know would be too much of a temptation (chocolate hob nobs - you eat just one and the whole pack is gone!) but I don’t deprive myself either. I’ve found low syn examples of things which would satisfy a craving. So if I fancy crisps or something savoury I have quavers (4 1/2 syns) if I fancy something sweet or a little chocolate I’ve found the fibre one popcorn bars (3 1/2 syns) are enough to hit the spot. If I fancy a drink, rather than wine I’ll have a G&T (but measure the gin!) You need to find what works for you. For a sweet hit a bowl of honeydew melon with fresh pineapple and blueberries is hard to beat.
There is loads of support on here. As well as my diary I post my weight every week - I weigh once a week on a Monday late afternoon. Try stick to the same time as body weight can fluctuate. There’s also challenges where anyone can join and set themselves a target for a specific time and everyone is very supportive and encouraging.
You can do this.

Last edited:
Welcome! There are lots of friendly and supportive people here and you have made the first step by joining and posting your message. There is some great advice here already and I would echo the advice to start a diary and post your thoughts. I find that a big help.

If you fancy setting yourself a target for the next few months then we have a "Slimmer for Summer" challenge that has just started here:

Good luck - you can do this! 💪

Welcome to Minimins,

Do you live with your parents?

To stay on plan you need to have a plan. Plan out your meals,plan out what exercise you would like to do and the most important thing I found was to learn to say NO.. I know on Slimming World you can have cakes,crisps,biscuits but I would replace them with fruit and yoghurt. Don't have any foods to tempt you in the house. Don't overload your plate. Get some scales and weigh portion sizes out. I know another thing is SW has free foods but that doesn't mean you can just keep eating. Spend the money you would spend on junk food on yourself. :)

Start a diary in the Slimming World forum and post your food and how you feel. Other member will look at it and help you along the way.

Thankyou so much for that, all of the things youre saying make complete sense! Yes i do live with my parents butI think sometimes they dont want to say anything about my weight to upset me. All of the things you have mentioned are so helpful thankyou so much, im going to apply all of these and really create a plan for myself that i will be able to follow. Thankyou so much x

You're stronger than you think you are. Take one day at a time and don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day. None of us are perfect and you have taken the first steps in trying to be the best you can be. You will form new better habits over time. Praise yourself each day. And plan 😁 we certainly have time for that. Don't buy the rubbish in. Good luck and keep us updated xx

thankyou for your kind words its so encouraging! I will take it each day at a time and start being kinder for myself. I feel that i try and rush things and just because i dont see results staight away i end up getting disheartened and fall of plan. Thankyou xx

I agree with everything @craftermary said
I was also very similar to you when I first started my journey. But I promise you everyday will get better and easier the longer you stick with your plan.
your cravings will numb down.

And when I first joined this forum just the mere support and success of other members really helped me stay true to my self. Because sometimes when you start to feel yourself straying out of track. Just reading and telling people you are starting to struggle it’s a common thing to happen to anybody.

just know that we are all in this together and your not alone.
We want everyone to be successful and be happy

one advice I can give you is setting yourself little goals instead of looking at the bigger picture that way you will feel so good knowing you are hitting them and know that you are on the right path to this working out overall.

If you wanted you could make your own little diary thread I know that helps a lot of people including myself stay motivated.

Hello, its so comforting to know that other people have been through or are going through the same things as me! The cravings are a big thing for me but like @craftermary said i should start saving the money by that i would spend on food and spend it on something nice for myself! I think i will set a smaller goal like fitting into a pair of jeans rather than looking at the bigger picture of my target weight! I will definitely look into creating a diary thread i feel that would be something i would really benefit from. Thankyou for your kind words and support it truly means a lot xx

At the beginning of the year my weight was very similar to yours. I’ve always been on the heavy side, but I was in a car accident around 3 years ago which left me needing a couple of operations and long term mobility issues. I didn’t get weighed until December at a routine doctors appointment. I knew I’d put on weight, but it turn out I’d put 4 stone on and it was a huge wake up call for me.
I started following Slimming World early in January and I have now lost 31lbs. I am trying to lose 6 stone by Christmas. I have a diary on here - there’s a link in my signature. You may find it useful.
I think when you have a lot of weight to lose it can be overwhelming, so think instead in small steps. I set myself mini goals e.g. lose 7lbs by the end of January, lose 5% of my starting weight and so on.
I think the current situation in the world helps in some ways and hinders in others. I haven’t left my house in 4 weeks now, so I am totally responsible for all the food in the house and everything I’ve eaten. No being tempted by going out for a meal, or having a coffee and go on I’ll have cake with it. That all helps & I’m determined to come out of quarantine thinner than I went in. On the down side I’m not getting out and walking like I was and we all need to take more care of our mental wellbeing now as these are unprecedented times.
I plan everything (and I’ve enjoyed doing it) and I write down everything which passes my lips. I keep a diary on here, but even if I don’t post on here it goes in my little book. And I’m honest - or I’m only cheating myself and my health.
I have also tried to plan food so I don’t feel deprived. I try and find healthy versions of foods that I would be tempted with and that really helps me stay on track. There are some great recipes around. I don’t keep things in the house which I know would be too much of a temptation (chocolate hob nobs - you eat just one and the whole pack is gone!) but I don’t deprive myself either. I’ve found low syn examples of things which would satisfy a craving. So if I fancy crisps or something savoury I have quavers (4 1/2 syns) if I fancy something sweet or a little chocolate I’ve found the fibre one popcorn bars (3 1/2 syns) are enough to hit the spot. If I fancy a drink, rather than wine I’ll have a G&T (but measure the gin!) You need to find what works for you. For a sweet hit a bowl of honeydew melon with fresh pineapple and blueberries is hard to beat.
There is loads of support on here. As well as my diary I post my weight every week - I weigh once a week on a Monday late afternoon. Try stick to the same time as body weight can fluctuate. There’s also challenges where anyone can join and set themselves a target for a specific time and everyone is very supportive and encouraging.
You can do this.

im sorry to hear about your accident that must have been extremely hard for you and loosing the amount of weight you have so far is so inspiring! I think the small steps and goals will be something that will really encourage me to keep at it as like you said it can be so overwhelming and i think last night when i really sat down and looked at myself i just felt so disapointed in myself for getting to this stage and felt so overwhelmed on where i should start And how much i have to loose! I think planning my meals out like you do will be something that ill enjoy and will help me with the tempation as ill know i have food there so thats a great tip. I will need to brush up on all of my knowledge and find lots of low syn options for me. Everything You have mentioned is so extremly helpful and i appreciate it so much. im going to take all of this on board and really go into the slimming world Plan fully prepared, so thankyou for all your amazing tips xx

Welcome! There are lots of friendly and supportive people here and you have made the first step by joining and posting your message. There is some great advice here already and I would echo the advice to start a diary and post your thoughts. I find that a big help.

If you fancy setting yourself a target for the next few months then we have a "Slimmer for Summer" challenge that has just started here:

Good luck - you can do this! 💪
Hi there, i will definetely have a look at the slimmer for summer challenge! Thankyou so much. The support on here is incredible! Xx

Hi everyone, I am so overwhelmed with all of the amazing advice and support from everyone who replied the the thread. The advice that yous have taken the time to give me really is so valuable and it means so much to me knowing that there is that support out there, not only that but knowing that others are in a similar position to myself or have been previously is so comforting to know im not alone. Ive written down in my new diary all of the tips yous have given me and i really am looking forward to going into my slimming world journey with a positive attitude and fully prepared. Thankyou❤️

Back