Indian Food Query

Taking this conversation from the TS board.

Some people on TS have one meal every week rather than a full week of AAM after 4 weeks' TS.

I think you could go to your weekly Indian Cookery class, using the meal as your weekly AAM.

The meals are meant to be ketogenic. So if you avoid the "white stuff" i.e. rice and nan bread, the actual curries themselves will keep you in ketosis. The week to miss is the Indian deserts:) The AAM is supposed to be 400 calories, and that would be a decent portion.

If you take it home to eat, then you could make "cauliflower rice": Grate some cauli on a coarse grater, and "stir fry" in a wide bottomed pan, with a couple of tablespoons of water and no oil. The trick is to keep just enough water in the pan to stop the cauli scorching, but not so much that it goes soggy. keep stirring and turning and take it off heat as soon as it is tender but still firm.

If the class teaches spiced rice, you can add the same spices (eg turmeric or saffron or cardamom) to the cauli mix, and you might want to add a small amount of oil so you can fry/toast the spices before adding the water and the cauli. (basically do whatever the teacher does before adding the rice.)

It's not just about avoiding carbs though.
There are so many ingredients that would kick us out of ketosis that eating something like that just isn't worth the risk I dont think.

Not sure if im answering the question fully, but tandoori chicken or chicken tikka pieces are a good option as they are seasoned cooked meat with hardly any oil (compared to a curry) and are tasty enough to eat without rice or naan. They are often served with salad too.

Wow it's so complicated!
I have another, 'problem' though... I'm a veggie so I don't eat chicken.
Suppose quorn is high protein low carb though? Dunno about soya mince though.
I'm going to do LT for one more week, a week of S&S a week of exante then refeed (going to do it like LT suggests but using exante I assume this will be ok?).

THEN do my cookery course... Then probably do either S&S or exante afterwards.

Thanks for the info - the cauli sounds very interesting. What does it actually taste like - anything at all like real rice?

Good luck with your plan! It sounds really doable.

Re the cauli - I usually do it like chinese fried rice, with ginger, soy sauce and spring onion. Sometimes with egg as well.

Honestly.... it still has a cauliflower flavour, but with a strongly flavoured sauce or seasoning it just tastes bland, like a starchy food would.

I'm not a fond lover of cauliflower but I know how high carb and cal rice can be so it's something I will try.

Trying not to make it soggy sounds like a challenge hehe.

This is probably a bit late but I've had Indian food on 5 out of six weeks of being on this diet, however i make sensible choices (not leaping at butter chicken etc like I used too).
I always have the follows

Chicken Tikka with salad and yoghurt dressing
2 table spoons of mushroom bahjee

Sometimes if at a restaurant I'll order a starter of chicken kebab too. I've had consistent losses but not losses on the levels of some of the hardcore TS and WS guys, it's all about what works for you.

Hope this helps!!!

That's what I've been dining, ws mon-fri and then normal eating at the wknd, lost 7lb in 3 wks which isn't great but enough!

6 lost : 61 to goal

Problem is Indian takeaways don't do quorn or tofu...
Being a veggie I don't eat chicken you see.

Chinese do tofu but it's always in a super suggary sauce.

Back