Instant mash Pasties

They were really nice. The taste definitely isn't like pastry, but it did remind of pastry as I was eating it. The outside went crispy but the inside was still like mashed potato, which I'm fine with as I really like soggy pastry anyway!

I used 150g of instant potato, a pinch of garlic powder, about a teaspoon of onion powder, salt and black pepper plus 300ml water to mix it. I put it in the freezer for a bit so it was easier to work with and baked them for 25 minutes at 200c. Next time I'd probably give them 10 minutes more as long as they don't burn. I baked a test piece the same thickness of the pastry which was done enough.

I didn't have an egg to do an egg wash, but they went brown without it which might have been down to spraying them with Frylight. That made two giant pasties. Quark definitely isn't cheesy enough by itself, the filling was similar to spinach and ricotta. Next time I might use cottage cheese.

I've ordered some spinach with my veg box so I can do these tomorrow. Going to try a quark and feta mix with them.

I want to make a big one for lunch and then quite a few little ones if I can, do you think they'll freeze ok?

I love these!

wpid-IMAG1695-1-1.jpg

wpid-IMAG1697.jpg

Made these pasty's for lunch today, one with egg/beans and one with cheese/beans, came out very well and tasted yum :D

Thanks for the recipe :)

These look very tasty, I'm going to have a bash at them next week. Has anyone tried freezing them?

They're a bit on the fragile side, I'm not sure how they'd hold up to being frozen and reheated.

Back