Insults or a touch over sensitive???

sazzy34

Gold Member
Have just come back from a neighbours bbq afternoon for the kids.
Just chatting to someone i have never met before.
well I didn`t eat just had lots of water and just explained that I was trying to lose weight, she asked me how much i`d lost so I told her
1lb off 3 stone ( ww and cd, but didn`t tell her that bit)
Her reply was
"OMG you must have been huge before !!!!! " ( i am just comfortably in a 16 today) :eek::eek:

Anyway my reply was " yes I was rather large before and I am doing something about it however you seem to be very rude and insensitve to make personal comments to someone you don`t know, "have YOU ALWAYS been like that !!! :p

Normally I would have just ignored it but I actually felt justified and good for saying it. lol
Not going to be friends methinks :D:D

Hahahaha!!! Good on you Sarah! Too right an all, i can't believe that woman said that to you. Don't you dare be upset about her comment it sounds like you have done amazingly well, and continuing to be amazing by going to a BBQ and drinking water. You'd get a big pat on the back from me girl. You have done truely amazing.

People just need reminding of that sometimes!!!!

She looked at me so offended , she didn`t say anything but moved a few minutes later to annoy someone else,
She probably didn``t mean it but my reaction was just "how dare you"

well said! she was rude!!

some people are just ignorant and rude.

what is wrong with some people?! that is SO insensitive - you should have said "well at least i can do something about it - you're stuck with your face" lol

Well done Sazzy!!

Some people are just so rude and insensitive!!

As want2bethin said you shouldn't be upset and waste anymore of your time thinking of that rude woman. You have done amazingly well to lose 3 stone and you should feel very proud of yourself. It's sounds like she has no manners and you did the right thing to say something, how dare she say something so mean to someone she doesn't even know.

Good

Whoops, was meant to say Good for you

Way to go Sazzy!!!! Let her have both barrells!!! :whoopass:

I had a thread on the LL forum about 'encounters' just like that one and the fact that many of the 'unfat' (or most usually those who are oblivious to their own shape and girth) seem to think that we "big girls and guys" are fair game for personal comments.

I should expect that she went home and talked about the 'unpleasant woman' she met at the BBQ who 'couldn't accept a compliment'!!!!!!!!!!!

:rotflmao:

I made a similar sort of comment to one of the people who saw fit to accost me and was berated for doing so by many (but not all) of the LL forum users who felt that I had been hyper-sensitive :eek:. Many saw it as an opportunity to evangelise which I had sadly missed :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That woman was rude, rude, rude. Clearly hasn't got a pause button between what she thinks, and what she says. Good for you for standing up for yourself :)

I agree with the comment that some people seem to feel that big people are fair game for any kind of remark. But then you lose weight, and you're still fair game for personal remarks about your appearance - that's been getting me down lately. I don't mind compliments from friends and family, quite the opposite :), but I've been in a few social situations lately where people I barely know have made very loud and very public comments about my weight loss and I've hated it ... now this is probably me being oversensitive, but it's like - talk about the weather, ask me about my garden or the news today, as you would making smalltalk with any other near-stranger at a party, but what gives you the right to make personal comments in front of people I've never met before?

Almost as though you are (or were) at some kind of social disadvantage and it puts you outside the circle of normal social courtesies... I don't know. I'm sure they meant well.

All the moral panic about obesity in the last couple of years has only added to some people's beliefs that if you're overweight, you're somehow public property, I think. I used to think I had a hard time at school as a fat kid back in the 70s/80s, but God, I'm glad I'm not a big girl at school today.

Hahahaha love that you said that its brilliant! Its probably something you would think before but so glad you said it. She was very rude!!!

Have just come back from a neighbours bbq afternoon for the kids.
Just chatting to someone i have never met before.
well I didn`t eat just had lots of water and just explained that I was trying to lose weight, she asked me how much i`d lost so I told her
1lb off 3 stone ( ww and cd, but didn`t tell her that bit)
Her reply was
"OMG you must have been huge before !!!!! " ( i am just comfortably in a 16 today) :eek::eek:

Anyway my reply was " yes I was rather large before and I am doing something about it however you seem to be very rude and insensitve to make personal comments to someone you don`t know, "have YOU ALWAYS been like that !!! :p

Normally I would have just ignored it but I actually felt justified and good for saying it. lol
Not going to be friends methinks :D:D

FAB response !!! bet she was gobsmacked - how rude of her :mad:

good on ya hun !!

and well done on the 3stone off - way to go girl !!!

love

Debz xx

nice one Sarah. And top marks for thinking on your feel like that, she must have been gobsmacked, ha ha ha ha LOL:rotflmao:

Hi Ya,:)

Well done. I would have done the same. How rude was she, good job I wasn't there I would have had someone punch her in the mouth, as i am a man.:D:D:D( only joking) not
Seriously people like that dont understand and need stopping occassionally as they will carry on and really hurt people.

Nick:):)

Normally I would not think of anything to say so quickly,but it just seemed to slip off my tongue.
I think I took it as though she was saying I was still big even though I had lost weight ( like I don`t know) I have never had negative comments aor taunts not even when I was at school, but I hate people thinking they can just say what they like.
It usually takes a lot for me to react.
Oh well, she is a dumb ass lol
Thanks for all your support, I know I didn`t over react now
Love to everyone x x x

I think you were very restrained. ;)

Can't believe she looked at you like she was offended. The nerve of some people.

Back