Intro and long story!

Watergirl

Rock Solid
Hi everyone. :)
Been on minis forever, but mainly doing CD. Lots quite a lot of weight on that, but have put some back on. That's not my reason for having cut out carbs though. Sorry, this is quite long, but I feel like I've suddenly found the solution to years of issues.

I've suffered from depression and anxiety since I was 14. The sweating and blushing was so bad that I had a sympathectomy when I was in my 20's which helped a lot. However, I still felt shaky a lot of the time, starving hungry most of the time, permanently anxious, hot and sweaty if I was hungry, dizzy spells, the list goes on. I also had 2 hypoglycemic attacks. I had no idea what the first one was and it happened when I was flying. A flight attendant must have known what was happening and brought me a full fat coke and I was instantly fine.

The second time round I had no idea what it was. I went to the toilet and start to feel faint. My BF got me water, but it didn't help. I'd gone white, my lips were blue and I was slipping in and out of consciousness. I managed to ask him to go and get me a CD shake. As soon as I had that I was fine. It frightened us a lot and for a long time I was scared of going to sleep at night in case it happened again.

Recently I've been looking into the link between diet (carbs, insulin production) and anxiety and depression. This led me to find out that what I've probably been experiencing all this years is not depression and anxiety, but hypoglycemia. This in turn led onto me reading about metabolic syndrome.

Last Monday I decided to completely eliminate most carbs from my diet. From then I have eaten an omelette for breakfast every day, tuna or prawn salad with mayo for lunch and meat with green vegetables for dinner. I have never felt so normal in my life. I can't begin to explain how nice this feels!! I'm not hungry. I used to wake up every morning, kind of feeling like my stomach was inflamed. I'd feel physically sick until I had eaten something carby.

I know that most people find low carbs/Atkins because they want to lose weight, but I am convinced now that I have no choice but to eat this way as a complete life style change.

I also want to lose weight for my wedding next year, but more importantly, if this keeps my mood stable and gets rid of the anxiety I won't need to go back on my antidepressants (which I've been on for anxiety).

I only ever hear people talk about the weight loss benefits of reducing/cutting carbs. I'd love to hear from anyone else who is on a low/no carb diet for similar reasons to me.

I've never really eaten in this way, so don't have much clue about what I'm doing, although I do have the Atkins and the South Beach Diet book. I naturally love salad greens and green veg as well and meat and fish, but if I'm doing this as a lifestyle change I want to make sure I get variety.

So, sorry for the essay, but I've had my own little breakthrough! Hello everyone :)

Hi Liz,
Sorry to hear what you have gone through, but so pleased that you have found a way to help.
I havent gone through anything like you, but I too after many years of ww, sw diets have found that low carb is deffo the one for me, for life. Again not just for the weight loss, but like you I feel much better, more energetic and more positive.
Welcome to our atkins family, love to hear how you are getting on and any questions just ask :D
xxx

Thanks Vicky :) It's amazing how much food can affect how you feel in so many ways. Another thing I noticed was that I'd been getting bad spots of my face and back. They were clearing on my face within days and yesterday my BF 'crikey, all the spots on your back have gone!'

I wonder if I'm allergic to something found mainly on carbs?

Your dogs are just gorgeous by the way.

ist all ketosis!!! do you have lots of energy too?
ah thanks my doglets are my life :D

Don't think I'm in ketosis at the moment, as all I've really done is cut out all visible carbs, but because it's new to me there's lots I don't know. Just looked at milk has 5g carbs in it per 100ml! I drink about 10 cups a day lo.

When I was on CD I was in ketosis and some days had bags of energy and others waned a little. I love that I don't have that sluggish feeling that you get after a big meal. I'm just protein snacking throughout the day, but have to keep reminding myself to eat as not very hungry (so maybe I am in ketosis?)

My dog is sat waiting for his morning walk, but I can't take him as expecting 2 deliveries. He's not happy! Hopefully they'll turn up soon or he'll go stir crazy and start annoying the cats :)

I know milk is v carby. I only have a teeny bit in my tea in the morning- the higher fat the better.
aww what type of doglet do you have?

Hi Watergirl - I'm afraid I do Atkins for the weight loss aspect but am experiencing all the health benefits too I think it's a great thing you feel and look better and it's pretty easy too if you're organised (well more organised than me!).
Anyway good luck this is a great forum and so pleased to hear you're feeling better :).
ps wish I'd found this way of life before my wedding!

Hi Liz, what an interesting post. I did (do) Atkins for the weight loss, but I find I am very healthy and happy with this way of eating.

Welcome love.

I am really pleased that you are getting such health benefits from low carbing, have a really good read of the Atkins book as that explains loads and gives lots of advice, I often go back a re-read a chapter as it does blur in your mind after a while. The stickies at the top of this forum will give you lots of ideas for food so have a browse! And ask away, any questions, there is always someone about who will be able to help or at least give moral support. Good luck and happy eating :D

Hiya Liz and welcome

I am so chuffed for you that you've found a natural way to feeling better - life is so much better when you feel positive and happy :)

I'm an Atkins for life person after years of eating badly and doing no exercise (as you will see from my stats :eek:).

Two months in, my friends say my skin is looking great, I don't have awful physical things like wind or heartburn any more and my overall mood is much more positive (with the occasional PMT "rip peoples heads from their shoulders" moments LOL) - and I am convinced this is down to low carbing.

And one word about this forum - I couldn't have done so well to date without these guys - they are so supportive and help with all sorts of issues. Vicky is spot on - it IS like a family here - without the arguments and someone nicking the last of the milk! lol.

Susie

Wow, you're a friendly bunch! I've been sat in maintenance on CD forever and we're not as chatty lol.

Such a nice warm welcome.

I have a border collie Vicky. As well as 2 Norwegian Forrest cats and a little boy moggie :) He's being very good today considering that we're stuck in!

Thanks Jim and Quak for the comments :)

Well everyone's looking nice and lean from their stats so hopefully that'll be a lovely side effect for me! Come to think of it I haven't had wind or bloating either. BF will be pleased ;)

Right, so skimmed milk not so good....such a shame...roll on the cream :) When I was on CD I did occasionally stray and have a Choc Indulgence bar. They are flipping lovely! I am going to try and avoid things like that where possible and stick with the meat and salad/greens, but it's good to know that I can have something in an emergency situation. Right, off to investigate the board xx

Give soya milk a go - I use Tesco unsweetened soya - 0.1 carbs per 100g. Admittedly it's an acquired taste but cream stalls me so it's worth it :)

ergh soya milk :( yes we are very chatty :) if you dont come on for a couple of days it takes AGES to catch up.

A border collie..the only dog that will ALWAYS be more intelligent than its owner lol. Wonderful dogs, so so clever and love their walks! piccie please :D

Busy? That settles it; I'll have to give up work :)

I quite like soya milk, although sometimes it has a tendency to curdle and I am less keen on lumpy coffee! I think I need to write a list of all my fav foods and then ask where the best shops are for low carb. I had some nice sausage (0.7g per sausage) and bacon (0.1g) this morn that I got at morrisons. My thing at the moment is sausage wrapped in bacon. I'm such a culinary queen.

Am trying to email myself a pic, but it took forever. Have inadvertantly turned off bluetooth and my hard drive is brand new, so no pics on here. Will wait till BF gets home and take some off his at some point. Moss, our bordie collie is very intelligent. Perhaps he can figure out why my bluetooth isn't showing!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here he is! Think this is him sitting on my knee. I personally think he always looks like he's about to attack!!!

OMG Liz, he is lush!!
Anyway, as everyone is bored of hearing, I joined this to control my IBS (I had to hae an op this year for damage done:()

I felt better in days after eating 'the good stuff' for 30 years!!

My IBS is totally under control, I've been discharged from the hospital :D &, to my utter surprise, I'm 30lbs lighter!! Who could ask for more? :D x

In fact I'm smaller than in my avatar now & that dress looks better! ;)

Hey Sharon, that's fabulous, what a lovely benefit. You look great in that pic already.

It's interesting that we're all taught a certain 'healthy' diet for so long. When you think about it logically it's all processed rubbish really :)

Back