Introducing Cats?

Scarlet Daisy

Hungry For Life
We have had our cat Stouffer since I found him (as a tiny kitten) a year ago. He is very gentle, neutered and often plays with other cats in the garden. A couple of times, when the weather was nice, he would bring other cats into our house to play, because the door was open!

Last night I collected a 12 week old kitten, from someone who was finding it too much to cope with. We've named him Zool. Heh. Zool was living with a huge vicious dog, three squabbling kids and hamsters and birds that he wasn't allowed near. As a result he is very feisty and growls and hisses a lot. He likes cuddles though and has the makings of a sweet cat.

Despite my romantic notions of the two cats getting along instantly... They haven't hit it off yet. Zool spits and growls at Stouffer, Stouffer flies at Zool and starts fights. *sigh* Of course, it is very early days (hours).

My b/f is of the old school opinion that they should "sort it out between themselves". The internet tells us, however, that we should introduce them at a very slow pace, which will possibly take more than a month (!), and that they should never be allowed to sort out who is boss by "fighting" (so far they haven't harmed each other, it had been more posturing and the odd wrestle, broken up by me).

Can anyone here offer us advice? Have you had any experience of doing this?

I'm of the same school as your B/F - having done this many many times. Obviously break it up if there looks to be real damage (blood etc) but other than that I'd let them get on with it

Last time I tried to follow the "rules" of keeping cats in for 2 weeks when moving property I lost 2 black cats up the chimney as they made a bid for freedom...............well at least I thought they were black, didn't know the meaning of the word until I saw two fluffy balls of black soot with eyeballs

Good luck, they'll be the best of friends in no time

xx

Hi -

My family have always had cats and I have two lads of my own. Whenever we had to introduce a new cat at my family home (we always had Queens and not Toms) we did it slowly and it wasn't ever too traumatic, though there were always spats. Nothing that resulted in a vet bill though!

My advice would be:

Keep new kitty in a room isolated to an extent (i.e don't necessarily lock them in all day, but offer a safe retreat for them away from older kitty) . Their sense of smell is awesome so they'll know the other is there (plus, they've met already!) but it'll keep them both calm for the first stages of adapting to each other. Keep a littler tray with new kitty and his bed and water bowls etc and let him chill for a bit. He's still so young and he's gone from one crazy househole (as in the kids and other pets) to a new household where there is an alpha male already in place. He's probably scared and this won't help calm his hissy-fits down if not sorted sooner than later. Let him acclimate to the smells and sounds of your home, and the idea of another cat. This only needs to be a day period - just time for him to calm down and adapt. When you're introducing them again do it away from food or anywhere your older boy claims as his own (near his bed etc). If the older kitty feels his domain is threatened he'll get defensive and they'll scrap. Is there a room older kitty isn't allowed in? Or doesn't go in? If so, let them meet there - where neither of their scents are strong. If it looks like they will start to scrap, scruff them and keep them at paws length (lol) and let the hissing and growling fade away.

It won't take long - it's natural. Alpha cat now has a younger cat in the mix and males always fight for top spot. So in a sense your hubby is right - and they may have a few fights. If older kitty has long claws clip them so the damage is minimal :)

They'll sort it out soon - you'll be amazed at how quickly. Once you see them grooming each other you're sorted as this is a good sign of a bond. And though they may fight, it's unlikely older kitty will hurt a kitten. And with no girl cats about there reasons to fight is pride and food lol.

Oh, and give them a bowl each - sharing doesn't work with boy kittens. Noodle and Gadget are brothers but they still growled at each other as kittens over food :)

Pictures! We need kitty pics! Good luck and congrats on new family member xxx

Thanks for the fast replies! :)

Zool has a room "of his own" and I've put his litter tray, food/water bowls and toys in there. I'm giving him time away from Stouffer and he already eats and purrs, so he doesn't seem too stressed.

I think they'd get along if little Zool wasn't so aggressive to Stouffer! Living with a big dog has made Zool tough, whereas Stouffer's nature is very gentle normally. Thus, instead of accepting that Stouffer is the resident cat and twice as big as him - Zool is all growling, spitting and "bring it Stouffer!" as soon as he is looked at. :eek: Stouffer has gone "Oh OK, you need slapping DOWN!".

I'm glad that you guys think the process should be a little more speedy than the advice we are getting from cat sites. I mean, in the end they DO need to sort it out between them, however much we mess about. But I will try to let them have space too. And a neutralish room to meet in is a good idea.

Why, oh why, do I find ways to complicate my already stressful life?! :doh:

Thanks for the fast replies! :)

Zool has a room "of his own" and I've put his litter tray, food/water bowls and toys in there. I'm giving him time away from Stouffer and he already eats and purrs, so he doesn't seem too stressed.

I think they'd get along if little Zool wasn't so aggressive to Stouffer! Living with a big dog has made Zool tough, whereas Stouffer's nature is very gentle normally. Thus, instead of accepting that Stouffer is the resident cat and twice as big as him - Zool is all growling, spitting and "bring it Stouffer!" as soon as he is looked at. :eek: Stouffer has gone "Oh OK, you need slapping DOWN!".

I'm glad that you guys think the process should be a little more speedy than the advice we are getting from cat sites. I mean, in the end they DO need to sort it out between them, however much we mess about. But I will try to let them have space too. And a neutralish room to meet in is a good idea.

Why, oh why, do I find ways to complicate my already stressful life?! :doh:

Awww lol!

I love the names by the way - very cute! Zool may be just trying to prove he's not something to be mean to - like 'Ok I is all litter and stuffs but I is tough...see!'. He'll learn...kitties are very cocky and arrogant.

It will all work out honey and if he's eating and purring that's good. Sometimes kitties don't want to eat much cause it means they need to potty - which they don't like to do if they feel threatened (scent marking etc). So yay! xoxox

Back