Irish Molly's 2011 Diary

Oh great idea Molly!

Also with the Nairns, they come in individual packs of 6 - I find it nearly impossible to leave a few in the little pack :(

I always keep a few pack of Nairns, both the biscuits and the plain oatcakes. The biscuits are handy to have when I fancy a "real biscuit". A couple of them satisfy the desire but don't kick off any sugar cravings for me. Yep, Mary, it can be hard to leave half a mini sachet in the jar!!!!!! Sometimes, it just pleads,"eat me".

I'm ok with the plain or herby oatcakes, but I do not dare buy the cheese ones even as a special treat. I love them too much and I find it hard to resist not only the ones left in the mini-pack, but the ones in the next mini-pack too...

15/08 monday again. Hope everyone is looking forward to a good week.
I've not much to report. My weight seems to have stabilised these last weeks with no movement up or down. A year ago I finished at about ten pounds lighter but realistically my current weight is where my body wants to be.
Sure, I could stress with reaching a magical number and spend my life yoyoing to and from it but I want a life not dominated by thinking about my weight. It took me a year to address a weight gain that occurred over ten years. I am happily maintaining other than planned periods if excess.
For me, gl is totally the key to stress free maintenance. When I eat foods of my old life the weight creeps up and I don't feel any better for having them either. So why bother! Maintaining requires little effort once I stay with GL friendly foods. Best of all I feel great too! No deprivation, no hunger!
Have a good week all.

Molly, hope you have a good week too. :) You have such a great attitude and I'm sure that all of us currently losing would like to reach such a great state of mind one day. :)

Congratulations Molly! That's great that the weight is where you want it to be. Also really wonderful that you aren't still having to fight it. I hope to be a maintainer like you one day! You give all of us alot of great tips and hope :)

Absolutely spot on Molly, no need to fret over a magical number on the scales, I think our bodies have a natural way of showing us what our weight should be - not what we think it should be.

GI is definitely the way you are most comfortable, and like the old saying goes - why fix what aint broke.

Congratulations Molly, always an inspiration to others around here and a great role model.

Those Nairn Oatcakes are delish.
Trouble is if I buy them I can't stop eating until the pack is gone .. well not quite...:D
Me too Emm. Cant have them. They totally trigger a food need!! xx

15/08 monday again. Hope everyone is looking forward to a good week.
I've not much to report. My weight seems to have stabilised these last weeks with no movement up or down. A year ago I finished at about ten pounds lighter but realistically my current weight is where my body wants to be.
Sure, I could stress with reaching a magical number and spend my life yoyoing to and from it but I want a life not dominated by thinking about my weight. It took me a year to address a weight gain that occurred over ten years. I am happily maintaining other than planned periods if excess.
For me, gl is totally the key to stress free maintenance. When I eat foods of my old life the weight creeps up and I don't feel any better for having them either. So why bother! Maintaining requires little effort once I stay with GL friendly foods. Best of all I feel great too! No deprivation, no hunger!
Have a good week all.
you really are an inspiration. Thank you for your wisdom, support etc.
xx

Well done Molly !!

I've found a 'best of british' food website in Aussie that carries Walkers rough oatcakes. Unfortunately they also have Jacobs Cornish Wafers, which I don't think I've eaten since I was a child, but now have an immense craving for!

Good for you Molly :) You deffo have it sorted :D

Do you mind if I ask did you always have weight issues or just (well not JUST but you know what i mean!) as you've said, a long slow increase which you really took no notice of. Were you a chubby child/teenager?

Just curious because there seem to be different attitudes and outcomes depending on how/when/what the 'issues' stemmed from :) xx

Well done on your maintaining, I'm pleased for you!

I do agree with you about weight settling and continuous yoyoing to reach that magical number! I've been thinking a lot about that, even though I am really wanting to get back to that number I'm not sure if part of my quest for that magical number is because I know nothing else but to 'try to lose weight'. I must say focusing on eating Low GI is helping with removing that diet mentality and makes me think more about simply eating properly and just cutting portions back! Some food for thought! x

JanD said:
Good for you Molly :) You deffo have it sorted :D

Do you mind if I ask did you always have weight issues or just (well not JUST but you know what i mean!) as you've said, a long slow increase which you really took no notice of. Were you a chubby child/teenager?

Just curious because there seem to be different attitudes and outcomes depending on how/when/what the 'issues' stemmed from :) xx

Jan, weight has always been an issue for me but went totally out of control over a ten year period.
I was a chubby child with too many treats, sweets, food as reward, comfort etc. In my mid teens I was about three stone too heavy. I then cut out sugar, sweets and biscuits and started running and playing squash and lost the excess. I maintained my weight pretty well after that through being very fit and active. For many years my weight might only go up by a stone and a half before I'd get back in control by cutting back food and drink and upping the exercise.
My lifestyle got very sedentary about twelve years ago. This combined with just living a very high lifestyle equalled almost a stone a year!!!! Over those years, periodically, I tried atkins, WW, calorie counting etc. I never persevered with any and could not sustain them. Whereas GL just makes sense to me and I find I can sustain it as I do not feel I am dieting.
No matter how good the food is, if I overeat I will gain. That's my makeup, I obviously don't need much fuel so any excess goes to the storage on my hips and thighs!!
I will never be one of these people who can eat as they please and not gain. But, I now have a different attitude to food. It is no longer the centre of my social life. Of course there are times I'll gain. I eat and drank too much from Christmas till the end of Jan and had a nine pound gain but I knew I could address it in a few weeks.
I'll be very happy if I can maintain in or around 170-180. I did get to below 170 but everyone told me I was getting too gaunt looking!! My face was getting too thin for my age!! That combined with the fact that my body seems to have normalised where I'm at leads me to think I'm best to try and manage it in that range.
As you have often said, maintaining is a constant effort. For me, GL makes it a pleasant endeavour.

Wow Molly you're really inspirational! I'm glad that GL is working great for you. You should be a spokeswoman for the GL lifestyle :)

Awww thanks for such an insightful reply Molly :) .... mind you it hasn't made me like you any better (LOL!! P-LEASE know I'm joking!!!) ... I wanted you to be one of the ones who was thin forever! And then for some reason gained some weight so had a sort of one time 'lose it' phase and is now maintaining.
Instead I discover you have had very similar issues to myself and therefore I no longer have any excuse :p ..... seriously you ARE doing marvelously. I know I've said it before but I am now doubly impressed (and a WEE bit jealous ;)) xx

Oh I must watch those. I think I may have seen one. The conclusion was simple - just excess calories being most people's problem.

the first one of the two is a better, more interesting documentary- I think that was the one that spent some time looking at weight as a child/no of fat cells/genetic infuences and overcoming them. The second one was a bit more simplistic - eat less calories etc

Back