Is anybody on here taking antidepressants?

jann251

[url=http://www.TickerFac
Just wondering if anybody on here was taking antidepressants? I have recently been feeling low and after trying to cope on my own which hasn't worked this time round, I made an appointment to see my doctor. I mentioned about seeing a counsellor rather than taking antidepressants but he recommended the tablets as he mentioned something about the chemicals in the brain and also because my mum and sister are both on them. Would love to hear peoples views, I don't want to feel like I am a nutter on these things, people are too quick to stereotype, I am not always in tears rocking in a corner, I just want to feel a lot happier. :wave_cry:
Janet x

Hi hun,

I was on st.johns wart for a while, more of a herbal remedy i think, but i shall only say that i found i felt alot 'worse' than better, and i know my mum got alot worse, but eventually i did start to feel alot better, and i think its also the feeling of having the helping hand that gives you a physcological kick start if you know what i mean.

your are right, people are quick to stereotype, which is why i chose not to tell many at the time, but i think its nothing to be ashamed about and its nothing about you or the person you are.. you just want to feel a bit happier. Most people are more than understanding, usually those closest to you.

i found my OH felt that it meant he wasnt making me happy or doing enough and felt quite insecure about it, so thats the only other thing i'd say to watch out for.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx lots of love

hun i believe counsellors r so much better than tablets aren't working on the cause but sometimes u need to swap counsellors to get a good one i've had depression quite bad a few times twice i had counselling the first time he was great and i gragually started to feel better then second time same counsellor but different thing causing it and he wasn't as good but somehow i manged to pull myself out of that.
try the counselling hun if it doesn't work u can always try the tabs at a later date but sometimes just talking these things though helps alot.
((( )))) hope u feel better soon

I am taking fluoxetine, PM me and and can give you my thoughts.

Depression can be caused by altered seritonin levels I have been told and medication can help to balance the levels again. If there is a known reason why you feel so low counselling may help alongside the medication. I have been on ADs in the past but I'm not at the moment. x

I have been on and off antidepressents since I was 16, counselling has the effect of making me feel worse as it focuses you on issues you'd sooner forget. (I was attacked by a stranger as a child).

the dr's have now decided that I am a normal well adjusted person, who just doesn't make enough serotonin, so when I get low, i get tablets.
have been on the last lot (cipralex) for 2-3 years now and in the process of stopping them t see how I get on.

I was diagnosed with underactive thyroid which can give depression as a symptom, so trying to come off AD's now thyroid is balanced to see if it was that all along.

speak to your dr at lengh abouth the long term management plan, and also get a thyroid check done just in case.

you can also pm me too if you want to, :)

the tabs will take upto a month to work, so I am afraid there is no magic immediate tablet.

in the meantime try meditating on your breathing, the sensation of air passing over your nostrills as you breath in and out (just breathe through nose during this if you can) if your mind wanders, you can count the breaths too if easier. imagine a cocoon of love surrounding you, and let yourself relax. after you finish (pref about 20 mins if you can) massage the bottom of your feet, it will help you feel more grounded and back to earth after.

love love love xx
Helen

Thank you to you all, it is such a relief to know I am not on my own, I have been prescribed escitalopram 5mg daily and taken my first one today, felt a little funny an hour later but not to bad now. I don't feel ashamed of taking them but don't want people to say "she's always down in the dumps" as I am not if anything I am always the one who makes people laugh, I just don't tell everyone when I am feeling down which is one of my problems???
How do I pm people as a couple of you have mentioned it to me and I would love to talk to you.
Janet x

Hi,
I've been on fluoxatin and citilapram for depression. I made a decision not to continue with these around a year ago. I truly believe that counselling and increased self-awareness are just as important.

I still have panic attacks from time to time, but I have made some major life changes which have helped greatly.
I think that anti-depressants really help when you are in the midst of a depressive episode and give you the 'space' to think about what may be causing it.
Doing SW (i.e eating healthily), increasing exercise and giving up alcohol have all been incredibly beneficial.

I do hope this helps - you are so not on your own. x

I too have been on and off different doses of citalopram for a few years (currently off). 5mg is a teeny dose btw :)

There's no shame in being on medication. After all, if something was wrong with your heart and medication fixed it, you'd take it, wouldn't you? If the chemicals in your brain are imbalanced and you can take a low-dose pill to fix it, then why not?

Counselling is something to think about. Personally, it didn't work for me. I ended up with more issues that actually hadn't existed before the counselling! But that was my experience and if you can find a great counsellor then it's worth a go.

I won't tell you to cheer up, cos that is the one thing I hate when I am in my 'dark' periods! However, do try to think positive. You've realised there's something wrong and you've taken steps to sort it - fab!!

Pm me also if you need to chat more xx

Kel x

Hi,

I have been on and off anti depressants for years, and have had several bouts of counselling. For some people it is about what goes on in there heads and for others it is a chemical imbalance. The trick is to work out which!

If it is chemical, I totally agree with Kel - its a hormone imbalance (just like diabetes is), so why would you struggle with it rather than take positive action to correct it?? No-one would judge someone taking insulin for their diabetes, so why should they for taking a serotonin balancer???? (sorry societies view on this makes me mad - no pun intended!:mad: )

Otherwise counselling can be really useful and comes in a variety of guises - a good connection with your therapist is essential. GPs can refer you to them and CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy)seems to be very popular at the moment.

Any route you take will not be an instant remedy, although I felt immediately slightly better when I was diagnosed - just to have a name to the horrible way I was feeling!

Good luck, will be thinking of you!:wavey:

Hi,

I have been on and off anti depressants for years, and have had several bouts of counselling. For some people it is about what goes on in there heads and for others it is a chemical imbalance. The trick is to work out which!

If it is chemical, I totally agree with Kel - its a hormone imbalance (just like diabetes is), so why would you struggle with it rather than take positive action to correct it?? No-one would judge someone taking insulin for their diabetes, so why should they for taking a serotonin balancer???? (sorry societies view on this makes me mad - no pun intended!:mad: )

Otherwise counselling can be really useful and comes in a variety of guises - a good connection with your therapist is essential. GPs can refer you to them and CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy)seems to be very popular at the moment.

Any route you take will not be an instant remedy, although I felt immediately slightly better when I was diagnosed - just to have a name to the horrible way I was feeling!

Good luck, will be thinking of you!:wavey:

I feel a little better now I have been diagnosed and looked into it more (the chemical thing) and when my family members started taking them. I have learnt, that my mum started taking Ad's when I was very young (37years ago) and my sister started when she was younger. Day two on the tablets with no side effects today, however I am still not hungry, I am going to take each day as it comes:)
Thanks for all your support ladies
Janet x

Hi Janet
My OH is on them now, suffering from anxiety and depression. He started off just with counselling and was advised by his therapist to take ADs too after he's been seeing her for 6 weeks, & I've got to say that they're really helping him get to the point where he feels like he can take his head out of the sand & begin to deal with his problems.

He initially didn't want to take them because he too thought he'd be sterotyped by people (even me & his family), and in his eyes it would make him an even biger 'failure'. I think as long as the side effects aren't too severe as long as they're helping him it's a good thing.

I would say that for my OH I don't think the ADs alone will help him get to where he needs to be & the counselling is an important part of it too.

Just like to tell you you're not alone, IMO depression is one of the last taboos in our society, and there are many more people suffering with it than you'd expect.

XXX

Sorry but I am biased and believe cognitive behavioural therapy is the best therapy for taking control and action in your life. I have taken loads of meds (proscribed and herbal) but for me in the long term having the ability to alter my situation and be ing the one to deal with my problems is good. but on the other hand I am practical person, obiviously drugs have the benefits of altering uneven chemical balances and elivation for immediate symptoms and talking to someone can have huge benefits as well. everyone is different it is what works for you :)

Back