Is anyone starting Cambridge January 2014? Lets support each other!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine. No point coming all this way just to let things slide now. No way I'm going to allow myself to ever get to this weight again, I'm disgusted with myself for allowing it to happen this time. Keep us posted, it may well just be the kick your body needs. X

Sent from my ME173X using MiniMins.com mobile app

I'd say you're in ketosis at this stage Anne. Liz, my CDC last night said this close to goal I might find it tough going to get any more weight off in chunks on the cambridge diet so it spurred me on to make the change I always intended to make at the end anyway. I just intended to do maintenance on Cambridge first. The WW consultant recommended following the simple start this week but limiting carbs and not using the treats page for the first week. I'm always going to use my fitness pal to track the calorie content of everything I'm eating so we'll see what weigh in next Thursday brings. Now I've latched on to the idea in my head I can't bring myself to look at a shake.

I'll be interested in how you do on ww. It's something I may do too. Step 2 is expensive. I spend 40 per week on packs, plus food now...hubby is getting fed up. I'm thinking I might spend a week on each step, hit step 5 then do ww. Do you think this will work? This week I've spent close to 70 for me alone! Can't keep it up when I'm struggling to pay childcare...

Sent from my HTC One X using MiniMins.com mobile app

I'll be interested in how you do on ww. It's something I may do too. Step 2 is expensive. I spend 40 per week on packs, plus food now...hubby is getting fed up. I'm thinking I might spend a week on each step, hit step 5 then do ww. Do you think this will work? This week I've spent close to 70 for me alone! Can't keep it up when I'm struggling to pay childcare...

Step 2 doesn't have to be expensive unless you have the meat protein options. Lentils and chickpeas are very cheap.

You can have about a tin of chickpeas per meal and that's 30/35p from the big supermarkets. A bag of lentils costs about £1 (again big supermarkets like Asda, Sainsburys) and you use half a pack to make the lentil soup from the booklet - that serves 4. Beans again are quite cheap if you get the ones you need to put in water....unfortunatly as you start getting the pre-soaked ones the price spikes.

Check Lidle regularly as they have offers on chicken style quorn pieces or mince for £1 every few months.

Sainsburys currently have chicken thigh fillets on offer for 2 packs for £5. I know we are meant to have breast not thigh but with 2 of us in the house on the diet and the quantity of chicken that means we have it's just too expensive to get breast meat. We opted for the thigh filets and just take the time to trim off as much fat as we possibly can. One pack is a meal for both of us for one evening (£2.50). You get 920g of thigh fillet meat for £5 which compared to the cost of breast meat is very good (usually £3.50 a pack)

Tofu - yuck...not going to say anything more on that one!

Eggs - lots you can do with them and depending if you go for free range, organic etc. you can still get half a dozen for a few quid and that's 3 meals right there.

What of the protien options do you like or not like?

Last edited:
Think that may be why I've not done the steps before. You've spent all this money to get where you are, your sick to death of the shakes, all you want to have is some proper food and now your facing the prospect of still shelling out for the packs while you introduce food again. I'm going to be really interested watching how you get on a weight watchers as I'm thinking that's the route I may go down to maintain. After all, when I joined w/w before, it was to lose weight so I instantly struggled as I was cutting down. This time I'll actually be eating more so hopefully not such a burden to track everything and make good choices. Even a small portion of protein and veg is more than I have been having right? X

I'd defo recommend moving up a few steps though, even just to step 3. For me going from SS to ww wouldn't work as think I'd defo go mad & gain then I'd think sod that I come off everything then be fat again lol. Most people that come back say the reason they're back is because they didnt do the steps. I don't want to go through this again or ever be that fat again. This is my personal opinion though. X

Wk 1 -8lb
Wk2 -6lb
Wk3 -3lb
Wk4 -4lb
Wk5 -3lb
Wk6 -3lb
Wk7 -3lb
Wk8 -STS :-(
Wk9 -STS :-( Again
Wk10 -4lb whoop whoop lol

Step 2 doesn't have to be expensive unless you have the meat protein options. Lentils and chickpeas are very cheap.

You can have about a tin of chickpeas per meal and that's 30/35p from the big supermarkets. A bag of lentils costs about £1 (again big supermarkets like Asda, Sainsburys) and you use half a pack to make the lentil soup from the booklet - that serves 4. Beans again are quite cheap if you get the ones you need to put in water....unfortunatly as you start getting the pre-soaked ones the price spikes.

Check Lidle regularly as they have offers on chicken style quorn pieces or mince for £1 every few months.

Sainsburys currently have chicken thigh fillets on offer for 2 packs for £5. I know we are meant to have breast not thigh but with 2 of us in the house on the diet and the quantity of chicken that means we have it's just too expensive to get breast meat. We opted for the thigh filets and just take the time to trim off as much fat as we possibly can. One pack is a meal for both of us for one evening (£2.50). You get 920g of thigh fillet meat for £5 which compared to the cost of breast meat is very good (usually £3.50 a pack)

Tofu - yuck...not going to say anything more on that one!

Eggs - lots you can do with them and depending if you go for free range, organic etc. you can still get half a dozen for a few quid and that's 3 meals right there.

What of the protien options do you like or not like?

Not keen on pulses, lentils etc. I only eat free range chicken and eggs. Eggs don't cost much more but chicken is dear. Eggs I've gone off due to eating so many omelettes on ss+

I like tuna

Or fish n chip shop fish lol

Something I'm going to have to look into nearer the time. I know what I'm like, if I don't keep a tight leash on things I'm going to spiral out of control and I'm not working this hard to put it all back on. I've wasted enough of my life being the fat one in the group, it's time to take control once and for all. X

I've been looking into the 5:2 diet, but really don't think I could trust myself on the 5! Lol. X

I've been looking into the 5:2 diet, but really don't think I could trust myself on the 5! Lol. X

Haha, me neither. I need to reverse the 5.2 and do 5 good days and 2 bad. That's my plan for maintenance. 5 x ww days then 2 days off at the weekend. X

Wk 1 -8lb
Wk2 -6lb
Wk3 -3lb
Wk4 -4lb
Wk5 -3lb
Wk6 -3lb
Wk7 -3lb
Wk8 -STS :-(
Wk9 -STS :-( Again
Wk10 -4lb whoop whoop lol

I only realised how expensive it was getting when I went to meal plan for Step 2. I spent €75 on products this week. Then I was back spending a couple of euro a day on coffees, another €3 for the chicken salad in the canteen every day, a euro for the yogurt and then I'd still have to get groceries for the meal in the evening. it appears to get cheaper again on Step 3 and 4 etc but I found 2 was going to cost a fortune.

That's an absolute no for me. Wouldn't have any self restraint on my up days and wouldn't do the down days every week.

I'm going to see how the weekend goes. I bought a full weeks products last night and I had a bar with my breakfast this morning so if the WW thing doesn't work it will be straight back to Cambridge. I've set myself a limit of two weeks in my head so minimal damage can be done.

Tracking my calories in My Fitness Pal and keeping the carbs low I have to say is keeping me away from all the sweets and cakes in the office this morning.

Think that's the answer to be honest. I'm an absolute carb junkie so being an all or nothing kinda gal, I'm going to have to follow the whole low carbs thing. I've noticed already, even just on day 5 how much my bloating stomach has gone down. Partly I know due to the fact that there's no food on there. Lol. X

Kiwichan can you not do a mixture of WW and CWP. I am sure a malt toffee bar is something like 5 pro points so if you had one for lunch and fruit for breakfast that would leave the majority of your points for a decent tea and maybe a glass if wine. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back