Is Being Fat OK Now?

I'm going to answer the original posting which was "Is it more acceptable now to be fat?"
The answer is a big fat no!
The reason why there are more clothes out there for us larger people is that it makes money!
They did a survey a while ago asking the participants whether they would prefer to be obese or blind, deaf, epileptic etc. I can't remember the exact results but it was something like 84% of people who took the survey said they'd rather be anything else other than obese!
You can't get away from the fact that whatever the reason why we have put on weight ~ (either medical or emotional!), we are generally looked upon as lazy, sofa sitters who do nothing but eat and watch Jezza all day!
I'm 49 have been in full time employment since I was 16 1/2 and in all that time have only had 3 1/2 days off. Not something my thin friends can say who are always at the drs.
People have a perception of what fat people do which rarely measures up to the truth. If it did the only people who would be unemployed would be obese people! I don't think thats the case!
Sorry rant over lol

im detecting a couple of view points. first says it is not acceptable in anyway to be content or ok with being fat. And second view says it is due to the evolution of society in recent times that alot people are gaining weight (and will continue to do so i expect).

i will raise the point that acceptability (of being fat) can in a way lead to encouragement. I remember most people were strongly against gays before, any mention of it would be regarded with harsh criticism however now alot of people say 'they are people, like you and i, let them live, let them do what they want, they are happy, they are not bothering you', many of these points can apply to fat people as well.

My opinion is that people who have put on weight through binge eating should be encouraged to lose weight, simple as. But increasingly we are finding that 'ooh i dont wanna tell them to lose weight in case i hurt their feelings'. I guess it is easier to gain weight nowadays though, i have a friend who had to walk 10 minutes a day extra to where she wanted to go because the bus wouldnt go there, and she has lost a lot of weight. Since everything is easier (for some people) nowadays, shouldn't we make up for this by doing some physical exercise?

i will raise the point that acceptability (of being fat) can in a way lead to encouragement.

I think it is a very, very fine line. At my height, 13st is considered overweight...but when I was there, I felt good. I could run, skip, ride my bike...pretty much do all the things I can't right now. But I was teased and bullied then too. When I get back there....if I decided that was an acceptable weight for me, what then? I would forever face scrutiny, DESPITE having lost over 18st, because I could still medically be classed as overweight.

We also have to remember that some people are simply not built to be 8st/9st/10st, no matter what charts or BMI says. In fact, aiming low could cause more problems than it's worth in the long run. I think if you can get down to a realistically maintainable healthy weight, that you feel good at - that's all that should matter.

My opinion is that people who have put on weight through binge eating should be encouraged to lose weight, simple as. But increasingly we are finding that 'ooh i dont wanna tell them to lose weight in case i hurt their feelings'.

I think that some big people are naturally on the defensive because of the mindless prejudice they've encountered previously, and can come off as a bit over-sensitive. Some people really do insult, feigning "concern" for their well-being. If a friend or relative really is concerned for the health of someone with a weight issue, there is always a way to broach the subject...without guilt, without belittling and without being rude.

Nine times out of ten, the person with the weight issue already wants a change...who knows? Going back to my earlier point, they may have already started...it may just be that their weight loss isn't significant enough to notice yet.

Since everything is easier (for some people) nowadays, shouldn't we make up for this by doing some physical exercise?

I agree. It's hard to break old habits, but slowly and surely it can be done. I think it should start in youth. If, as a child, I was encouraged to have healthy, varied, home-cooked meals, fruit instead of sweets, and to go outside with my friends to run around, I highly doubt I would have such a huge weight problem in later life. If you allow healthy habits to form in the young, it becomes second nature by the time they're adults.

Back