Is CD a lose fast gain back all plus more diet!!??

rade

try, try & try some more!
Well i have just told another friend of mine i'm on cambridge and their sister did lighterlife last year lost 8st and put it all back on plus more in under a year!!

So they are so negative about me doing cambridge and are saying i might lose the weight but will prob go back on as fast as i lost it.. i said well that depends if you stuff your face for months once you've reached target, but they seem to think that it will go back on regardless...

How crud? i do wonder this but hearing from other people makes it a real drag, ya know? :cry:

The Cambridge Steps are designed to add certain carbs back into your daily diet without causing weight gain.

If, however, you go straight back to your previous bad eating habits then you will regain the weight.

That would happen with any diet, not just CD.

There are plenty of people whom have lost a lot of weight on CD whom have not regained. If you have a weight problem then it needs constant watching so that you don't regain. I include myself in that too. I have no intention of regaining any of the weight I lose!

Hi there

Try not to let other people's negativity get you down. It is true of any diet that if you go back to the way you ate before you will gain the weight. You are no more likely or unlikely to regain the weight because you did Cambridge - if you eat more food than your body requires you will gain weight simple as that really. There are lots of people on Minis who have successfully kept the weight off (that's not to say it's easy) but it can be done! Think positive - we can do this and at least we are trying which we should feel proud of!

Georgie
x

Hi there

Try not to let other people's negativity get you down. It is true of any diet that if you go back to the way you ate before you will gain the weight. You are no more likely or unlikely to regain the weight because you did Cambridge - if you eat more food than your body requires you will gain weight simple as that really. There are lots of people on Minis who have successfully kept the weight off (that's not to say it's easy) but it can be done! Think positive - we can do this and at least we are trying which we should feel proud of!

Georgie
x

thanks i know what your saying is right ;).. it's hard when this diet is difficult.. to have negative imput from people...

i tried to explain to her, as last year i lost i 1st 9lb on rosemary conley and just over a year later only gained 4lb, i was trying to tell her that i can managed to maintian the weight 'reasonably' but at the moment i have too much BULK and need to shed 6 stone, and hopefully i can maintain within that, once it's reached...

i know i have already posted a similar thread but it's good to hear feedback on what really is the most important area.. being able to maintain your target... otherwise i suppose the torture is futile huh!! :D

I lost just under 12 stone on Cambridge/Lighterlife a couple of years ago now. I have kept the weight off and am still at goal weight because I now don't eat as much as I did before.

If you eat too many calories when you finish the diet you will put the weight back on, if you can have less calories you will keep it off.

So GO FOR IT! BUT Cambridge is phase 1 of your weight issues, phase 2 is keeping it off and that requires more willpower and more strength than losing it in the first place did.

Mike

Hi there

It's perfectly natural to worry about it - I certainly do. I'm taking it one step at a time, first get the weight off and then worry about maintenance - my brain can only cope with one thing at a time!! You have taken the most important step and started the journey and for that you should be congratulated.

Keep up the good work and we can leave the trials and tribulations of maintenance for another day!

Gx

I lost 6 stone with SW years ago. Put it all back on again. Lost 8 stone with CD and haven't.

Is it because having done CD I'm more likely to maintain compared to SW? Nah. Was just ready to learn how to maintain this time around.

Do the stepping up plans on CD and you are no more likely to put the weight back on than any other person doing any other diet.

thanks guys!!

It's clear - lost weight first THEN worry about the maint!! hell i got months to go yet!! lol :D

No Rade! Don't wait to finish the diet before "planning" the future.

Become knowledgeable about food, make sure you understand calories, fat, salt etc etc so you can make sensible decisions.

Was reading an article today saying that people who eat in Subway on average have 139 more calories than some in McDonalds, that just shows how badly educated we all are over calories and food as most people would say have a nice healthy subway sandwich over a big mac whereas that isn't always true!

Also the reason the diet worked for me was the "all or nothing" element of it and I could do that, I still live to that rule in certain areas and that helps me maintain my weight without struggling too hard.

My other major piece of advice is that if you use food as an outlet for other issues (whatever they may be i.e. boredom, stress, comfort etc ) then you must must must deal with those issues otherwise you will either go back to bad habits or suddenly create new ones.

Mike

It's clear - lost weight first THEN worry about the maint!!
No Rade! Don't wait to finish the diet before "planning" the future.

Oh yes!! Think about it now. I spent most of my dieting time thinking about how I was going to maintain. After all, I had all this extra time when I wasn't eating :D

Yeah me too KD!

I knew I was going to finish the diet so spent more time on planning than dwelling in the moment.

The plans are excellent and if you can stick on the 1500 programme for a while with some extra calories to bring you up to maintenance level then great.

Cambridge products are excellent for helping you maintain but the good old adage of a balanced diet and exercise do wonders for keeping you slim :)

Mike

I think it's all about getting the balance right. I have spent a fortune on food, nutrition and healthy cook books ready for maintenance and am wading my way through them and completely agree with Karion and Icemoose that it is something you need to think about and plan for (after all they should know!). However, at the same time I don't think it should be something that you allow to worry you or bring you down - you don't want to feel defeated before you have even got there.

Gx

Absolutely!! Don't panic about getting to goal weight!! Look forward to it :)

Keeping the weight off must be a positive choice as if you see it as a prison sentence then you will break out....

I enjoy making sensible choices now, I enjoy eating healthier food and don't miss eating too much or food that was just plain unhealthy.

Doesn't mean I eat sawdust with salad now but I no longer eat 12" pizzas in pizza hut through both choice and also health.

Mike

maintain

once i get to goal i hope to try and eat sensible. after all the hard work of losing the weight it would be shuch a shame to put it back on.:sigh:

ok i hear the not feeling defeated before you get there thing... as for maintainence well i don't wanna ignore it completely, i have been thinking baout it even at this early stage!!

i have only gained 4lb in the last 14 months or so... it was the weight i was carrying previously that is the issue, hence why i'm on CD now.. I am reasonably (yikes!) confident that once i lose the 6st or so them i will be able to once again maintain the weight within a certain amount! well ya know, hopefully!! :eek:

Good on ya and well done for maintaining so well before. Really interesting post for discussion though, gets you thinking about things and always good to hear advice from Karion and Mike. I think our motto should be think, plan and stay positive.

Gx

ok here's my personal contribution to this thread. It's painful to think about really, but here goes :(

I've always had a weight problem of varying degrees but about 8 years ago I lost over 5 stone in a year by going to the gym regularly and counting calories. I did it all myself ( no slimming clubs etc) and vowed that I would NEVER put the weight back on again. I even went and had liposuction on my thighs and confidently told the Doctor that I would never put on weight again!

Fast forward to about 3 years ago. Almost all the weight had gone back on again and I now started doing CD. I lost 4 stone and almost got to goal, then gave up again, but I was the lightest weight I had ever been as an adult.

Fast forward to today and here I am ( or was 6 weeks ago) the heaviest I've ever been and attempting to lose the same weight all over again :mad:

Have I learned my lesson this time? Yes I most definitely have. I fully intend to get to goal and this time I WILL stay there. My body cannot cope with the weight fluctuations and I know I eat too much. I therefore have 2 choices when I reach goal. Eat the way I used to and watch it all pile back on again, or accept that I can't eat what I like without paying the price and learn to eat less and say no to food when I'm not hungry.

I honestly don't think being on a VLCD makes you put the weight back on any quicker (apart from the glycogen if you don't do maintenance properly) unless you carry on eating too much as I did. When I think of all the salads and gym I did to lose 5 stones and then put it all back on again I could scream!!!

Sorry if I've waffled on :eek:

I think what I'm trying to say is that you can easily put it back on again no matter how fast or slow you lose it - I just waffled along the way a bit - sorry!

Last edited:
No need for an apology Sussex Girl, really valuable post and interesting to hear your story and struggles and at the end of the day you are still trying and battling and that in itself is an achievement.

Gx

Of course its going to all go back on!!!!!!!!!
If you turn straight back to eating all the quantitys and choices of food that got you to be in the situation of needing to lose weight in the first place...

I am not worried about putting it back on at all as even now I cannot eat anywhere near the amounts I was eating before,
and was all the c**p I ate worth it ???????

It has taken me about 20years off and on to get to even this weight and although I still have some more to lose, i am going to follow the plans up properly and make wiser food choices,
and start living, clothes shopping
oh and start running x x x :D

I do love these sorts of topics :D

I am interested it what everyone thinks is likely to happen when they get to goal.

I certainly don't want to sound negative, but have a good think about it and find your answers. For example (sorry Sazzy)

If you turn straight back to eating all the quantitys and choices of food that got you to be in the situation of needing to lose weight in the first place...

Okay, so as so many people say, they are going to make good choices and not do what they did before.

So how come it's going to be different this time? I assume we all knew we were making poor choices before, and yet we still piled on the weight doing what we knew we shouldn't. We continued to let it happen. Why, when we knew what it was doing to us? Why couldn't we make those healthy choices first time? What stopped us, made it so difficult?
What makes you think that you aren't going to do it again?

What backup plan do you have when you find yourself backsliding, or do you think that you wont backslide ever?

If you think you will just diet again to get rid of those few pounds, how long do you think you'll need to do it?

Will you have the right mindset for it. After all, you will still be slim. It's incredibly easy to think a few pounds doesn't make much difference, the diet can wait until next week.:rolleyes:

even now I cannot eat anywhere near the amounts I was eating before,
One good Christmas = a capacity to eat just as much as you ate before;)

Oh yes, it is possible to maintain. No doubt the odd person can mouch along just making good choices for the rest of their lives, but maintainers of any diet are few and far between, and most of them find 'the rest of their lives' a hard part to get the head around.

Back