is cd unrealistic for long term weight loss?

Wow, that's really interesting.

Fwiw - years ago I lost about 6 stone with a slimming club, and put it back on and some more.

A couple of years ago I lost 7 stone with CD, didnt do maintenance for a number of reasons, and put 5 stone of it back on.

The problem of weight gain in not the diet, it is me. That is why this time I will follow maintenance when I finish and then probably use WW or similar to keep it off. It's me that needs to change and the way that I think - untill then, I'll always be at risk of putting the weight back on no matter what diet I use.

Hi all,

So.. I'm currently doing the steps up to maintenance, slowwwwwly, the Dutch ones which are different. My CDC changed them to suit me more.

As you may notice my ticker isn't at the end of the road yet. I haven't gotten to where I want to get yet; I want to get to 65kilo's (which is about 143.3 lbs lol) but I can't do that with CD (I want to be fab and toned at 65 and despite CD being totally amazing and fast I can't get toned up well when I'm still losing weight so fast.)

I did this for a reason; apart from the being toned - reason. I did this because I will still be concious of what I eat, how much I work out etc etc. :) I feel that if I can take another 6 months to a year to slowly get to 65kg I will have maintained my CD loss ('coz I'd not have regained weight; I'd still be losing) and I will have gotten around to a very concious way of eating, living, etc.

I know it may not be what most people see as maintaining weightloss or doing the steps up to maintain etc. and some might disagree with this ''method'' but I feel this will give me an extra motivation to eat healthily / not overeat etc and work out more. I hope this will teach me healthy portion sizes, keep me stable at first and then get me to lose a bit more weight :)

Myeah, my take on it anyway. :)

xxx

Going out on a limb here... but aren't we all? I don't buy the naturally thin idea - slim people are slim because they exercise restraint - I see this as the key difference,

xxx

Naturally slim people don't exercise restraint. Naturally slim people just don't turn to food to deal with other issues.

If you've lost lots of weight, then your leptin levels are likely to be slightly different, and you have habits that may have been going on for years to change.

You are in a different psychological, and physiological state.

I always knew I was over eating but I chose to do so, I chose not to do things in moderation.

I do agree with that, but sometimes it's hard to chose unless the head is in the right place. I don't believe the answer is always as simple as choice but that is the main factor. After all, you can do anything if you want to enough. You want to go and live in the rain forest, it's possible. Doesn't mean the journey or the way of life out there is going to be simple. My opinion anyway.

That is why this time I will follow maintenance when I finish and then probably use WW or similar to keep it off. It's me that needs to change and the way that I think - untill then, I'll always be at risk of putting the weight back on no matter what diet I use.

I don't think there's any one correct way of maintaining. We each have to find a way that suits us and fits with what we like to eat, and what suits our lifestyle.

Having said that, there are many things that help make it easier. Knowing what we need to eat to keep healthy. Not depriving ourselves. Keeping active blah blah.

Personally, I can't get my head around why people chose a diet to maintain. The diet is the tool to lose weight, maintaining isn't about dieting.

The great thing about going to clubs after goal is that as long as you continue to go, you have that motivation to keep the weight in order.

The less than great thing about it is that by keeping to many of the diet programs, you are more likely to undereat healthy fats, or not have balanced meals as they either tend to be lower fat that recommended for maintenance, or they encourage either high carb or low carb (as in SW). Absolutely nothing wrong with that for losing weight, but I just don't feel that this is necessarily good for a lifetime.

Besides, who wants to count points and syns forever more?

And anyway, I also believe that there is a possibility of keeping to goal because of the pressure of the weigh in day. Pressure to a certain extent is good, but maintenance is really about changing your lifestyle because that is what you really want more than anything. It's not really about the weight.

I fear for maintainers who can find them in a position of over eating, then seriously cutting back because weigh in day is due.

If you change your lifestyle because you really want to change it, I can't see the point in going to someone else to get weighed just to prove to yourself that you are succeeding at doing what you want :D

Still...up to the individual. Just my personal opinion.

i have this theory:

my brain is wired up differently to a thin persons.

the thin person isnt 'naturally thin' but their brain works differently to mine. so they dont view food in the same way as i do. so they remain thin. where as my brain works differently so i get fatter.

call mine greed. or lack of will power or what ever... i open a packet of biscuits, i cant eat one and leave the others for another day. i eat and eat and eat then till theyre all gone. my brains nags and nags at me that they are still there, until i eat them. i eat them casue then i think well there all gone now, so i cant eat them tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes i do the same again. i buy another packet to replace the one i ate..

a thin person, dosent have that nagging in the head. they just think. oh i will have a biscuit. that was nice. end of......put the biscuits back and not even think about them again.

i liken SS to going cold turkey as a drug adict or smoker.
i can give up smoking by abstaining. its difficult. by everyday i think. ive gone a whole day today without one, and that spurs me on till tomorrow. until one day hopefully i wont think about it any more.

because i dont 'need' to smoke i can totally live without it. and i dont have to control it by cutting down, i can just stop completly.

unfortunalty i do 'need' to eat. and i have to learn, or train my brain to remember the need is different from the want or desire. do i 'need' to eat something or do i just 'want' to eat something or desire something. usually its just cause i 'want' to eat. if ive got 'nice ' things in the house then i will eat them! same as if i had a packet of fags i would smoke them.

i think its all mind over matter. when im in the right frame of mind the food doesnt matter. when i allow my brain to switch on into auto drive i get fat again.

i know, and i have learnt i will ALWAYS have to closely monitor what i eat in order to remain as slim as i would like to be.

i have this theory:

unfortunalty i do 'need' to eat. and i have to learn, or train my brain to remember the need is different from the want or desire. do i 'need' to eat something or do i just 'want' to eat something or desire something. usually its just cause i 'want' to eat. if ive got 'nice ' things in the house then i will eat them! same as if i had a packet of fags i would smoke them.

I totally relate to this.

Just watched Extreme Dieters that was on the other night. The man who lost weight using a conventional diet felt that he would now like a Gastric Band fitted so he could easily keep the weight off. He cant keep any food in the house and only buys what he needs on a daily basis.

Jac

I don't think there's any one correct way of maintaining. We each have to find a way that suits us and fits with what we like to eat, and what suits our lifestyle.

Having said that, there are many things that help make it easier. Knowing what we need to eat to keep healthy. Not depriving ourselves. Keeping active blah blah.

Personally, I can't get my head around why people chose a diet to maintain. The diet is the tool to lose weight, maintaining isn't about dieting.

The great thing about going to clubs after goal is that as long as you continue to go, you have that motivation to keep the weight in order.

The less than great thing about it is that by keeping to many of the diet programs, you are more likely to undereat healthy fats, or not have balanced meals as they either tend to be lower fat that recommended for maintenance, or they encourage either high carb or low carb (as in SW). Absolutely nothing wrong with that for losing weight, but I just don't feel that this is necessarily good for a lifetime.

Besides, who wants to count points and syns forever more?

And anyway, I also believe that there is a possibility of keeping to goal because of the pressure of the weigh in day. Pressure to a certain extent is good, but maintenance is really about changing your lifestyle because that is what you really want more than anything. It's not really about the weight.

I fear for maintainers who can find them in a position of over eating, then seriously cutting back because weigh in day is due.

If you change your lifestyle because you really want to change it, I can't see the point in going to someone else to get weighed just to prove to yourself that you are succeeding at doing what you want :D

Still...up to the individual. Just my personal opinion.

And I totally appreciate your oppinion. But what I think you may have not realised is that I am in my 40's - and I have battled with my weight all my life. Personally I find WW a very easy and effective "diet" to use(whether that be losing weight or maintenance) and I find that if fits in with my lifestyle very well- tbh better than the maintenance programme on which there are a lot of foods I don't like (I'm a fussy eater;)). So for me personally WW is what I will follow long term - whether or not I go to a club to do this or on my own I will decided at the time, depending on if I need the support network or not. I think what I'm trying to say is that I have 40 plus years of bad habits:eek: and eating to sort out. CD is great for getting the weight off, but once it's off I want to make sure it stays off and for that I am going to have to be concious regarding what I eat for a very very long time - if not forever:sigh:. "Normal" diets, ie WW, have worked for me in the past very well - while I stick to them! My problem is that I lose motivation after a while with slow weightloss. CD works well as I stick to it better as you see results so much quicker and I think it's fantastic for that. My problem lies with maintaining the loss when I manage it.

Remember, everyone is different and at the end of the day you have to do what suits you.:)

Last edited:
And I totally appreciate your oppinion. But what I think you may have not realised is that I am in my 40's - and I have battled with my weight all my life.

And I'm in my 50s, battled with my weight all my life ;) :D

But yes, as I say, it was just my opinion, based on what did and didn't work for me and what I've searched out:)

Guess you just have to try and see. Tweak if necessary :) I've found maintenance to include lots of tweaking :D

I find that if fits in with my lifestyle very well- tbh better than the maintenance programme on which there are a lot of foods I don't like (I'm a fussy eater;))

Just reread this, but a bit confused. When I refer to maintenance, I mean when you are off the diet, not the CD plans. In my head, the CD plans are still part of the diet.

Maintenance is where you get to chose your own foods. I'm not fussy as a rule. I get to eat anything I like, but since I want to stay well and not suffer from my previous problem of bingeing and craving, I tend to chose healthy foods.

i'm probably not the best authority on the subject as only been maintaining for a month now, but it is possible as long as you keep weighing yourself and checking what makes u gain weight and what makes u lose weight. counting the calories is important at first just to make u aware how many calories u can eat without gaining weight. for me, when i eat more than 1,500-1,600 calories, i gain weight.
i don't do take aways, but i do eat chocolates and stuff like skinny carrot cake, skinny muffins, etc. i do treat myself, but within reason. i just watch for the calorie intake basically and don't go over 1,600 calories, but usually eating around 1300-1400.
After coming off CD in December, I've completely incidentally 2,5 more pounds (ironically, during Christmas time...), without any pain and suffering.
i still don't drink alcohol and usually choose low fat food instead of full fat food:) so- low fat yoghurts instead of normal ones, extra light philadelphia cheese instead of the full-fat one, i don't touch yellow cheese, pizza, fried chicken, chinese/indian food (even though i adore it...), and also, since very recently, i don't touch mince beef cutlets (Polish speciality...). my flatmate made them for dinner about a week ago, i ate probably around 150g of them, and i put on i think a pound or more in one day... i then quickly lost that pound, but it made me stay away from cutlets:)
i do realize though that it is very hard to maintain the weight, and u need to be constantly aware of how much you're eating and what you're eating, as the weight can pile back on without you realizing...
so- all in all, i think it is realistic not to gain the weight back as long as you are really careful after coming off CD (or LL for that matter), and i can only hope that i'll be one of the lucky people to continue to maintain:)

Back