is horse meat free?

We were talking about this at work today and we agreed that meat is meat at the end of the day and some people are only disgusted because it's not the norm to eat horse, I believe that it is just as bad that they contain pig DNA. you buy beef you expect beef.... buy cheap burgers and I expect it to be bits of crap shoved together with very little amount of beef.
I can understand people who have a pet horse would be disgusted and quite upset about it... I have a dog and cant imagine eating one but then again I have gold fish and I quite like a plate of fish and chips. My dad lived on a farm and had lots of pets; sheep, cows, chickens, pigs... but he certainly isn't a vegetarian :)

Its very very different. It is understandable for pig meat to get in. Cross contamination in the rendering factories and production means this is understandable, pork goes in pork products, beef in beef.

There is no excuse for horse meat to get into the production as it is never rendered for human consumption. This means something far more serious than the meat of horse is getting into the food chain.

Spongiform encephalopathies have been shown to jump the species barrier. It takes minute amounts of infected material to infect other animals, which is why the food chain in agriculture is now strongly monitored and regulated.

Horse meat clearly is not monitored, if unmonitored horse meat is getting in, it stands to reason that unmonitored beef and pork is also getting into the system.

Horse meat is monitored in other countries? Not in the UK as much, and the Food Standards Industry have stated that the burgers were in no way unsafe to eat, they just included a different type of meat to that advertised. I'm not condoning it, don't get me wrong. If you buy beef burgers you expect beef and certainly not horse. Tesco (and the other retailers) have certainly let customers down by not doing enough checks.

I'm just glad I don't eat meat from supermarkets or any heavily processed meat. I'm partial to buying minced meat, faggots and sausages from my butcher which contain lots of different animal parts. But at least my butcher can tell me which type of animal they came from and which parts of the animal they use! True and clear labeling is definitely needed. Some people might not want to know that their chicken kievs contain minced chicken feet, but those of us who want to know should be able to easily find out.

In other news, I was bored at work:

75068_10151353281744349_1523722327_n.jpg

We bred horses for more years than I care to remember and have no problem at all with anyone eating horsemeat if that is what they want and in that sentence lies the clue..................IF THAT IS WHAT THEY WANT !!

We still own 32 horses ( 30 are out on loan ) and could never imagine wanting to eat one of them. That is my choice,again look at the word choice. It is clearly an issue of deception and not that the meat is horse.

Mind you look at this picture of our last foal born here 6 years ago, her mother and her father where born here and you will understand why I could never eat horse.................

2008_04170010-1-1.jpg

The issue here is not the ethics or otherwise of eating horse but gross deception which amounts to fraud.

Oh and by the way my husband and I have laughed somuch at the jokes and I loved the one about the uniquorn and the thoroughbred.

The problem with beef burgers being contaminated with pork (and not being labelled as such) is that for some religions pork is forbidden. I'm actually much more shocked at the pork contamination than the horse! (Although, you've got to wonder how the horse meat was even in the factory - unless they're making horse burgers for other parts of the continent of course.)

The problem with beef burgers being contaminated with pork (and not being labelled as such) is that for some religions pork is forbidden. I'm actually much more shocked at the pork contamination than the horse! )

Me too.I have both Muslim and Jewish friends who will be mortified to know they have unwittingly eaten pork.

How long before some one from one of these groups sues the supermarkets concerned.

Last edited:
The problem with beef burgers being contaminated with pork (and not being labelled as such) is that for some religions pork is forbidden. I'm actually much more shocked at the pork contamination than the horse! (Although, you've got to wonder how the horse meat was even in the factory - unless they're making horse burgers for other parts of the continent of course.)

I'm curious, you're more offended on behalf of others and their flying spaghetti monster superstitions, than you are with the potential health risks?

Last edited:
I'm curious, your more offended on behalf of others and their flying spaghetti monster superstitions, than you are with the potential health risks?

I didn't use the word "offended" I used the word "shocked", and I didn't refer to the health risks at all. Please try and read the posts properly before you go wading in with something unpleasant which definitely has the potential to upset other readers.

HTH.

I'm curious, you're more offended on behalf of others and their flying spaghetti monster superstitions, than you are with the potential health risks?

Please can you tell me what a "flying,spaghetti,monster superstition" is.

I always thought that both Muslims and Jews (of whom there are many on this site) had their own valid religious reasons for not eating pork.My father was Jewish and whilst we did not grow up in a Kosher household as our mother was not Jewish,I fully understand and appreciate the reason for not eating it. He would have been horrified to have unwittingly eaten pork.

Anyone's religious beliefs should be respected regardless of ones own opinions.

I didn't use the word "offended" I used the word "shocked", and I didn't refer to the health risks at all. Please try and read the posts properly before you go wading in with something unpleasant which definitely has the potential to upset other readers.

HTH.

I agree with what you have posted as regard to the pork content. It is an untenable situation for the groups who have religious or health issues with the consumption of pork.

It's not just Muslims & Jewish people who don't eat Pork. Hindus, and a lot of people from the Caribbean as well don't eat it!

Though in fairness I suspect anyone who eats Halal or Kosher would not be buying these burgers anyway.

It's not just Muslims & Jewish people who don't eat Pork. Hindus, and a lot of people from the Caribbean as well don't eat it!

Though in fairness I suspect anyone who eats Halal or Kosher would not be buying these burgers anyway.

You are quite right and it is a very valid point.

I do know of a Muslim family here who can not always get Halal meat and do sometimes buy Iceland products but I think mainly chicken products. I am sure they are in the minority.

As a veggie, I was more shocked about the pork too because of the religious implications. However, I do appreciate the real issue is that foods should be clearly (and correctly) labelled, I would hate to find I'd been unwittingly eating meat, although I'm sure I often do (e.g. meat and veggie meal cooked with the same oil, utensils, gelatine etc)

As someone who is very fussy about things like burgers and sausages, I was actually surprised that tesco value burgers were made from some kind of meat derived product rather than recycled shoes or something similar!

As someone who is very fussy about things like burgers and sausages, I was actually surprised that tesco value burgers were made from some kind of meat derived product rather than recycled shoes or something similar!

Now there's a thought !!! Always a positive if you look hard enough for it.

Back