is it just me...

The Punisher

who thinks that getting engaged on valentine's day is just a wee bit tacky? Apologies if this thread offends anyone, I'm not the most romantic of people at the best of times!
A friend is propsong to his girlfriend tonight because 'it's her birthday and Valentine's day' SO?!
I would NEVER want to be propsed to on my birthday, Valentine's day, Xmas day, NYE or our anniversary. I personally think that it lacks a bit of imagination. I like the thoughts of having that special day to remember for just that reason, as being the day we got engaged, and not remember it as 'it was xmas day... and oh yeah, I got engaged.'
Daft I know. Please tell me that someone else thinks this...and that I'm not a daft old spinster already! :eek:

I would not dream of telling you you are a daft old anything. We all have minds of our own and live our lives our own ways.

Personally I was delighted when my DH proposed to me on my birthday, in public and on his bending knees. Tacky? possibly. He is so shy normally that I was touched this gesture that must have been so difficult for him.

He could have propsed to me on any day of the year, anywhere and I would have been thrilled

I'm sure you aren't daft or old lol!

I got engaged on Xmas day...it was clumsy, private, the Xmas tree fell down, fairy lights were smashed, champagne glasses dropped, I laughed for 5 minutes after he asked and then slipped over. Uber cheesy :D

To me it was more important how the proposal went rather than what day it was on. But to each there own, To me being proposed to in a crowd is my idea of tacky as I think it smacks of insecurity whereas to someone else it says "Look at me and how in love I am and I want to share it with EVERYONE"

I also reckon for men doing it on a memorable day means that they can remember at least one anniversary because no way can you forget Xmas AND the day you proposed! can you? lol

I'm sure you aren't daft or old lol!

I got engaged on Xmas day...it was clumsy, private, the Xmas tree fell down, fairy lights were smashed, champagne glasses dropped, I laughed for 5 minutes after he asked and then slipped over. Uber cheesy :D

Now that is unforgettable! And actually quite a sweet story too. I'd die if the proposal was in public. I've always liked the idea of it happening when I least expect it, like when I'm laid up dying from flu or just walking the poochie on a quiet country lane. Course, as I'm not even in a relationship I don't have to worry about this at all and possibly never will have to! :rolleyes:

Thats your opinion :)
However I was proposed to on xmas day and it was sooo romantic, although he did have the ring for 6 months and just couldnt find the right moment lol

Punisher, I think everyone will always have there idea of the perfect proposal. I mean in my 16 year old day reams fireworks were involved (as was Jake Gyllenhall) but tbh I am a total klutz and the proposal summed our relationship up.Messy, ditzy, lots of laughs and loads of love.

Ewww that was soppy, sorry!

Michelin Mummy, after the giggles died down and I had cleaned up the mess created by the proposal it dawned on me that the cheeky thing hadn't bought me an Xmas present and announced to everyone the ring was "gift enough" which yes it is. However that sort of thinking needs to be stamped out of Mr Bell sharpish, so Boxing day was spent on Oxford Street tee hee :D

Love your thinking! Hahahaha

Awwww SarahLou that was sweet. He obviously wanted it to be perfect for you and I bet for him it was worth the 6 month wait ;)

Back