Is it normal for the losses to slow down?

jenxy

This week will be my 8th week on SW plan. First week lost 7.5 pounds, every week after that, until last week I have lost 3 pounds steady, 3.5 one week but mostly a steady, regular amount. Last week, lost 1.5, and I'm sure, this week will be the same. I do weigh in the week, I know I shouldn't, but it's a habit and I haven't changed my scales, I am well aware that you weigh more last thing at night, then first thing in the morning, but I was just wondering if after a certain amount of time, is it normal for the losses to become smaller? Should I just grit my teeth and carry on as I have been? or should I be adjusting anything to encourage weight loss? I have not changed my eating habits since starting, have kept diaries throughout and I cannot see anything different in the last couple of weeks that was not there for the ones previous. Sorry for waffling on, I am just a bit baffled.
Thanks for taking the time to read... :)

In a nutshell - yes, it's pretty normal fr the losses to go down. I attend a few different groups depending on my work schedule, and all my consultants have said that generally, people tend to end up losing 1-2lbs a week if they food optimise properly. This is perfectly normal, and you should be proud of yourself - it sounds like you're doing fantastically :)

Thanks for that, If it's normal then I am happy to push on through, I was worried that it was going to tail off to nothing at all, that would be so disheartening. Thanks for putting my mind at rest. :)

In fact, you should be glad that your weight loss is slowing down! 3lb a week, long term, is probably not very healthy. You could start loosing muscle as well as fat if you are loosing too quickly, and loosing muscle would have the knock on effect of slowing your metabolism and making it harder for you to continue loosing weight, so aim for 1-2lb per week. It may not sound like much but if you loose 1.5lb per week until the end of the year that would be 39lb- more than you need to reach target!
Good luck :)

My weight losses are below and as you can see, mine has slowed down over the last fortnight too. I am prepared for it to slow down again and am happy with this.

I want to take my time to lose the weight (even though I have loads to get rid of lol). For me, I think that the longer I spend on the plan trying to lose the weight, the more chance I have of making it a way of life.

I know exactly what you mean though. It is easy to start thinking that it's going to dwindle to no loss at all! I'm trying to stay focussed lol

Wow, those are huge losses, so you have had a fab start!

The most I have ever lost is 3lb (maybe 4 0r 5 times in as many months) with my average loss per week being 1lb, with the odd 2 thrown in.

As others have said the smaller loss is more the normal end of the scale, so don't be disheartened, you WILL get there!

I think it just depends how your body takes it really, I don't think you'll know till you start..It's taken me 5 months to lose 2 1/2 stone, but plenty have lost more quickly than that and some more slowly, it's so variable.

I'm hoping to reach my 4 stone target by October.

Back