Is it possible?

Of course. It just takes will power and if you are starting at that weight you will find the first few stone an absolute doddle to shift which should help maintain your ambition to get healthy.

Is is most definitely possible. You just need to stay motivated and the weight will come off,just keep reminding yourself that it's not gonna happen overnight though!
Check out the success stories section on here :)

Is is possible? Definitely. Probable? Maybe. If I were to do my weight loss all over again, I'd do it a simpler way than how I've got it now, which is:

Pick someone I trust, who has more money than I do.
Get them to sign an agreement that they get money from you, and don't pay it back until you reach goal weight or turn 65.
Give them a lot of money
Set up an automatic payment into their account equal to the cost of 2 weight watchers meetings a week

Initially, you may actually put on weight, but as time goes on, you'll start to think of all of that lovely money, just sitting there, losing value due to inflation. This method is probably not the fastest, but I'm sure it would work. I am 11 years since I was at goal. You do the maths and work out how much incentive there would be to lose weight from all that money.

Similarly, I suggested to my brother that he and I have a system where we each give each other $10,000 when the other person reaches goal. However, he's pretty much given up on reaching goal, so I don't think his heart is in it, but if it was, I'm sure we'd both reach goal.

I dont see the need for all of this?

If you want something bad enough you will get it, it isnt impossible! It just takes belief, will power and determination. None of the best things in life come without strain and work!

Jono - if you really want to, then its definitely possible!

John I agree with shelz, there's no need for all of that hassle!
If anything put the money away in a jar/ special bank acc. and use it an an incentive that way, but you don't need to do that. Money can be an incentive but it's rare that it will be enough as your only motivation.
You said it yourself, that even with your suggestion of a $10,000 incentive your brothers heart isn't in it. Thats the key!!!

You just need to want it, and be willing to try a little! You can find motivation anywhere and in anything if your heart really is in it. Just take a look at the success forums here, I do, and it makes me realise that if so many other people can reach their goal then there's no reason why I can't reach mine!

I dont see the need for all of this?

What's the proportion of people who successfully reach goal weight on this website? As a guess I'd say between 1 in 100 and 1 in 1000. Determination doesn't seem to be working.

What's the proportion of people who successfully reach goal weight on this website? As a guess I'd say between 1 in 100 and 1 in 1000. Determination doesn't seem to be working.

In some ways you are right..and others you are wrong! each person has to find the key for them.

For me it's about sorting out the issues that led me to get fat in the first place then being determined to lose the weight.

Other people find their own key.

Really though LOTS of people lose the weight - far more than you suggest..the real question is whether they keep it off...

Hey guys thanks for the msg's!

Now i know its possible whats the best way to go about it. I have been on weight watchers before but i never really got anywhere with it.

I've been trying my own thing really, i usually eat healthy types of food, just a lot of it. I've cut down on this, i've also stopped drinking any fizzy juice and just water. And i've had no sweets for about a month now, but i've not noticed any difference yet.

I've also incorporated walking home from Uni, which is just about 70% slightly uphill and 30% constant uphill, sometimes i wonder whether it is doing me more harm than good, but i do feel better after doing it.

Any ideas on how i could or what i could be doing something different?

Why didn't you get anywhere with Weight watchers? Did you find it hard to stick to?

Are you weighing every day?

One useful thing is just writing down what you eat every day. Studies have found people who do this tend to be thinner..as it makes you think about what you are eating.

Any diet will help you, if you stick to it. I just calorie count but others like slimming world or weight watchers. Or you could go for a very low calorie diet like Cambridge or Lighter life - if you want to lose weight fast. Men tend to lose much faster on those diets (or any diet) than women.

I tend to swap diets when I get bored, rather than giving up. That really helps to keep going. I've also been going to the gym since I was over 20 stone and that's really helped too.

Really your new routine, to lose weight, is whatever you fancy. If you want to get thinner and fitter then a diet (with a back up diet for when you get bored) and joining a gym would be a good plan.

Cambridge diet looks good, but expensive. I do want to lose it fast but.. there is always consequences right? So in some respect is it better to lose it slow?

I weigh every week, but switching to month soon. I've lost 2 pounds since last week which is good :)

Two pounds is great! Well done.

Every diet has pro's and cons. With Cambridge you lose fast and have a total break from food but you don't really learn to eat properly. With another diet, like calorie counting, the weight loss is slower but you are retraining your tastebuds as you go along. I've done both of these diets so I think they are both good but for different reasons.

Cambridge is expensive IF you are also buying food..but as you aren't it isn't really. If you add up how much you spend on food and booze it is probably more than the £37 or so for Cambridge.

So you would reccomend that calorie counting is better for the long run as i not only lose weight but can also keep it off, whereas with Cambridge, i basically go on a low calorie diet, which isn't really healthy and perhaps have a chance of putting a lot of it back on?

I'm not sure what i should be doing at the moment exercise wise, i have dumbells but won't that turn the fat in my arms to muscle? Better to do it once i've lost some more weight and incorporate going to the gym into a weekly routine once i've lost enough.

Weight watchers, slimmers world for calorie counting? Or anything else that is better? I've just been doing my own thing as i stated in the original post, i suppose that 2lb's is good as i have been on the diet for a month and i thought i had lost 2 stone with the scales i had before but they broke, so i went to boots and found i weighed my starting weight again.

Backstory: Had electronic scales, started at 355lb's got down to roughly 330lb's, scales break, i go to boots i weight 355lb's have i lost anything at all? That is the question :D

I think either would be good. Hey we all want fast results and if it keeps you motivated why not? The point I was making really was that the longer you follow some sort of calorie controlled diet the more you retrain your eating habits...you could always lose it all via Cambridge then calorie count for a while afterwards to maintain your weight loss.

As for exercise weights is really, REALLY important. Our metabolisms are driven by our muscle. As you diet you inevitably lose some muscle so by lifting weights you keep your muscle mass up. This means when you get to the end you will be able to eat a good level of calories..plus you will look hotter!

So I'd say exercise all the way down, make it a routine. When I was doing Cambridge I couldn't really do cardio exercise but I still went to the gym and did weights. I think it helps to avoid the melted candle look when you lose a lot of weight!

If you can set up routines whilst you diet then when you hit maintenance it won't be tempting to just eat and act like you did before...because you will be addicted to your new routine. I hated exercise for the first 30 years of my life but now I crave it if I can't do it. People can change.

I think i'll keep doing my own thing and once i stop losing sufficiently move onto calorie counting and if that doesn't work i'll give Cambridge a shot.

You're saying that i should be exercising muscles to keep the muscle mass up all the time?

Back