IS IT TRUE????

SO MUCH TO LOSE!

Must do it this time
Hey Peeps,
Just Wondering If There Is Any Truth In The Rumour That If You Have Followed A Low Fat Diet Before Starting Cd You Will Only Have Smaller Losses Each Week As Opposed To If You Went Straight To Cd From Eating Junk Food???
Any Answers Greatly Appreciated
Elaine X

I've heard this too. Someone will enlighten us im sure.

I Really Hope They Do Because I Lost 1st 7lbs In Approx 2 Months And Decided It Wasn T Coming Off Quick Enough So Started Cd,i Hope Its Not True Because I Started Cd To Get Quick Results.

OH SPOOKY THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR ANSWERING THIS THREAD IT IS A WEIGHT OFF MY MIND,NOW I JUST HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT LOSING WHILE IM EXERCISING,ALOT OF CONFLICTING STORIES ON HERE,I DO QUITE ABIT OF EXERCISE BUT HAVE BEEN DOING IT SINCE THE BEGINNING OF FEB SO MY BODY IS WELL USED TO IT BY NOW.
THANKS AGAIN
ELAine x

Its True What They Say,you Learn Something New Every Day,thank You Again Spooky For Your Wisdom,i Feel Alot Better Now,
Elaine X

It's often said that a person who eats a lot of junk food (high refined carbs) prior to CD loses more in the first week. I think the idea is that they are usually 'suffering' from more water retention or maybe more glycogen?

The extra loss only shows in that first week or two, then it's back to normal.

So it's not that you wont lose so much. More to do with not having to lose that particular type of extra weight in the first place IYKWIM.

The first time I did Cambridge I lost 8lbs the first week.

when I did it again after following a healthy eating plan, I lost a lot less that first week. I was secretly chuffed ;)

Thank You All For Replying,im A Wiser Woman For It Now,
Elaine X

I was just going to say the same as KD, that it would only count in the first week due to extra water stores etc of those going straight from non dieting onto CD than those who went from some other weight loss plan to CD

I haven't heard this but I guess (therorhetically sp) that if you have been following low fat, you'll have less fat to lose then opposed to starting straight from junk food.

I think though that everyone is different, everyone has different lvels of activity during their day to day life, everyone has different metabolisims etc. etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, to reasearch it would be quite hard because of the lack of controlled cases IYSWIM - you'd have to pick 2 identical people to test out that theory.

I'm sure you'll do fine hun!

HTH

It's often said that a person who eats a lot of junk food (high refined carbs) prior to CD loses more in the first week. I think the idea is that they are usually 'suffering' from more water retention or maybe more glycogen?

The extra loss only shows in that first week or two, then it's back to normal.

KD is quite right.
Before you get into ketosis you have to deplete your bodies glycogen stores.
Glycogen is stored with a lot of water. Metabolise the glycogen, the water is redundant & is wee'd out.
So thwe more glycogen on board at day 1 the more 'weight loss' in the first week.
The first time I did Cambridge I lost 8lbs the first week.

when I did it again after following a healthy eating plan, I lost a lot less that first week. I was secretly chuffed ;)
Quite so KD.

From then on your rate of weight loss will be determined by the gap between your calorie input & expenditure & maximized by sticking to the diet 100% & drinking loads of water.

I haven't heard this but I guess (therorhetically sp) that if you have been following low fat, you'll have less fat to lose then opposed to starting straight from junk food.
there seems to be some confusion about this.
The amount of fat you have to lose = your degree of obesity.

Following a low fat diet is one way of reducing calorie intake with a view to losing weight, but will not result in you having less fat in your body unless you have actually lost weight.
I think though that everyone is different, everyone has different lvels of activity during their day to day life, everyone has different metabolisims etc. etc.
So true.

HTH

We are all taught about different food groups:
Protein ,fats & carbohydrates.

What is not emphasised is the bodies ability to breakdown each & use the little molecules as building blocks to re-form any of the above from any of the above.

(although we all know that if we eat too much we become fat even though the XS food was all fod groups)

All 3 are carbon based structures, with plenty of hydrogen & some oxygen stuck on. Proteins are different in that they also have a bit of nitrogen.

With the exception of Essential amino acids & Essential fatty acids we can make pretty well any of them from any of them.
They are called Essential precisely because they are the ones we can't make from scratch.

Now back to ketosis.
why don't 'normal' diets cause ketosis?

A: because they have nearly enough carbohydratre in the diet for daily use & the small extra that is needed is made by breaking down fat & re-building it into glucose = Gluconeogenseis.(literally = sugar new make)

In a ketogenic diet (VLCD or Atkins) the glucose level is depleted beyond the bodies ability to make it from scratch,so the fat metabilites (ketones) are used directly by the body. We have evolved to have this capacity to chage fuel sources so it is a safe & natural process.
BUT this is ths key to the success of the whole diet.

WHEN in ketosis you feel well,alert, energetic & NOT hungry.
It is a survival strategy & we exploit it.

Sorry this is so long.
hope it helps to explain stuff.

hi Jane,
I have stuck to CD for 5 weeks tomorrow. I have only had 3 choc tetras, 3-4 lts of plain water per day with the odd sp. water/ green tea if I am out.
I feel KNACKERED! My losses are relatively slow, but I dont have a really active job so I accept that. I havent got any health probs and I am not massively overweight.
I dont test for Ketosis, cos I figure if I am sticking to CDss 100% I must be in K. Why am I so tired, and why isnt it getting better? (although week1 was much, much worse)
Thanks
xx

hi Jane,
I have stuck to CD for 5 weeks tomorrow. I have only had 3 choc tetras, 3-4 lts of plain water per day with the odd sp. water/ green tea if I am out.
I feel KNACKERED! My losses are relatively slow, but I dont have a really active job so I accept that. I haven't got any health probs and I am not massively overweight.
I dont test for Ketosis, cos I figure if I am sticking to CDss 100% I must be in K. Why am I so tired, and why isnt it getting better? (although week1 was much, much worse)
Thanks
xx

Poor sassey,
you read all the posts on here about people regularly losing 4 ,5 or more lb a week & it doesn't seem fair.
you don't say how tall you are...but I suspect you are not tall.

Looking at your numbers you've lost a steady 3lb a week.
this averages 12lb in 4 ewwks..no weeks & 13lb per calendar month.
Cambridge (or LL) would tell you that Ave losses are 1st a month = twice the upper expected losses for WW , SW etc.

If you are say 5' to 5'4" I'd say you are pretty well on target...don't get despondent,you are doing fine.

Re the K..you are correct. If you stick to the diet 100% & were not born on a different planet from the rest of us you must be in ketosis. There is no need to test your wee.

I reckon the one downside to forums like this is our tendency to compare our losses to others..I did it when I started losing. I'm only short & always seemed to be reading losses quoted by men or women over 5' 10".

I'm sorry you are not feeling whizzy & energetic.
There is no obvious reason for this.
These ketogenic diets don't suit everyone..most but not all feel well on them. I expect you've read posts from people who find they have more energy than they've had for years.

Have you checked your BP?
Have you discussed this with your CDC?
would you consider trying either he SS+ or even the 810 plan for a bit in the hope that you feel more invigorated?

Hi Jane, thanks for replying....
Actually I am 5ft 6" ! I am really chuffed to have lost the weight I have (I am not a complete misery guts! ;))
I am also grateful I havent got loads to lose, which means I prob wont get big losses.
I know I have also lost the 'one stone, one month', but in the first WI some of that is water/waste and so I wont get that loss again (unless I slip up and have to re-start). So if I carry on losing at current weight I wont hit my target til mid sept (whole summer gone :sigh:). I have put off so many social things (like everyone here) til I lose the weight.

I agree that a Ketosis diet is prob not the best one for me, luckily I work PT so can handle the no energy thing, but I have a prob with binge eating and so find other food diets difficult. I prefer the no food/no room to cheat approach.

I know I am just feeling sorry for myself, I am happy for other peoples losses, cos I know how hard the diet is, but I also feel abit cheated that I am working just as hard and sacrificing just as much, and not losing at the same rate......blub over!!!!

I will def contine though, I know that this is the only diet that can keep me on the straight and narrow. I have discussed moving up the plan with my (lovely) CDC, but I dont think it will make much difference with my energy, and I dont want to slow down my losses even more.

Thanks for your reply though, its nice to be able to moan to someone!!!
xx

Back