Is my goal realistic?

Hi all, This is the first time that I am taking losing weight seriously, in the past it's always been a case of simply trying to eat less and pick the healthier option. This time I'm keeping a food diary so I know exactly what I'm eating and planning out what exercise I'm going to do (and how often). I started on the 6th of April, weighing 16st 3lbs, and as of the 21st of April I weigh 15st. I do expect most of that is 'water' or whatever though. Do you guys think it would be realistic to set myself the goal of getting to 10st or thereabouts for my birthday on the 6th of September? I've agreed with my OH that we'll go away for it if I do, so really hope I can manage it!

Last edited:
What diet are you doing? It depends a bit on which plan you are following as some are very fast, but be prepared- the closer you get to target, the slower it gets.
I have lost just over 5 stone in 7 months and my SW consultant thought that was very good going in comparison to previous methods. I have reached a plateau so have switched to cambridge diet so am hoping for it to start coming off nice and quick though! fingers crossed!
I think that another 5 stone, in 5 months may be pushing it a little but that's not to say, it's not worth trying- got for it as whatever you lose, you will still look great an feel better about yourself. And you may lose very quickly so good luck and stick at it!
xxx

Well done on the great start to your weight loss.

On the goal subject unless you follow a vlcd such as cambridge or lighter life this is not a healthy realistic target in such a short time. After the 1st few weeks average weight loss is 1/2-2 lbs a week. 7lbs a month is doable and healthy. Aim for 2 - 2 1/2 stone off by September that would be a great result.

Thanks for such quick replies! I really appreciate the advice as I don't really have anyone to talk to about dieting and so on - oh the woes of having skinny friends, lol. As I said before, this is the first time I'm trying to take it seriously, so I know next to nothing about what'll happen. Everything you've both said has made total sense, so I'm going to rethink my goals - perhaps I'll try to see how close I can get to my goal by xmas instead.

P.S. At the moment I'm basically doing a low cal/sug/fat/salt diet, rather than taking on something specific. This is for two reasons - one, I find it very easy this way to prepare food that both my partner and I can eat, and two, whilst it started out as a 'do this till I've decided what to do', I found it works really well for me.

Why not do what I have done- not set a date I want to reach goal by and see how it goes. I am determined to lose weight fairly quickly and know roughly where I want to be but my target weight is not set in stone either as I may feel happy before I get to 10 stone or may want to be smaller when I get there. By just letting your body take it at it's own rate, it's less stress as it can be upsetting if you don't get there as quick as you want.
I also, take each half stone at a time which is another way to feel good about your losses and not intimidating/ disheartened by the large amount left to lose.
Just a suggestion, have you looked into Slimming world? It is very easy to cook meals that the whole family eat and you get great results. The only reason I changed was that I hit a plateau and I want some more weight off before I get married.xx

Keep us informed on how you are doing esther.

Like Debbie I have no time for the end of my goal although I would like it by the time I am 50 (2 years). I am aiming for 1lb a week,slow and steady but will allow me to change my lifestyle in a measured way. If I try and do too much at once I get overwhelmed and give up. I do set myself small goals of each 7lbs and reward reward myself with something at the end of it.

Good luck with what you are doing

hi esther, just my opinion but i think its too much too fast. thats 6 stone in 5 months!! speaking from experience i have done similar in the past and on both occasions i ended up heavier than i was to begin with cos i couldn't keep it up once i got down to my weight. not saying it will happen to you but keep in mind if you have a certain reason for doing it (i was trying to impress a girl:()

i suggest making as little change to your routine as possible, even a -300 calorie a day will, when combined with a walk lose you a pound a week which is ideal i think. you have to think long term. don't be in a rush to lose it - just keep the scales goin in the right direction.

Esther good on you for being proactive about loosing weight. When you are determined to do something you do it. As for the plan you are doing now, it's working so why change it. Here are a few tips that I find help me along the way;

4 hours of exercise a week
2ltrs of water a day
a multi vit everyday
2 pieces of fruit a day
variety in my food choices
only weigh once a week
try and forget that I am on a diet (over thinking for me leads to sabotage)!

Good luck hun and keep us posted.

Bren
XX

Back